Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
flexer
AF Newbie

Help Diagnose My Motor, Is it blown?

SO here goes.....

The motor appears to be running really well, but I have to add a quart of oil to it every 200 miles. So basically every time I fill up. It is burning A lot of OIL. When I first start the car up and it is cold, oil will spit oil out the exhaust for a little. Once it is warmed up it stops. Other than that it doesn't smoke or anything. When I am driving it or am on it HARD no smoke, but when I get off the gas after a hard pull it will smoke a little and smell like burning oil then stop once I get back on the gas.

Compression test yielded:

135, 133, 135, 132

There is A LOT of crankcase pressure I believe.....I checked the PCV valve connected to the intake and it works fine. No leak there when I blew on it, it closed up and when I sucked it opened. The other line I have going to the factory oil separator and then the other side I have going to my intake pipe right infront of my turbo. When I removed that pipe and filter to store the car for the winter I looked in and the turbo wheel was COVERED in oil. YUM! So I then go to take my spark plugs off to do the compression test and cylinders 1 and 3 spark plugs are CAKED in oil. All over the threads and the tips of the plugs look funky.

I'm stumped though. I thought for sure the rings were toast, causing excessive blow by and therefor the burning of 1 qt of oil and the excessive crank case pressure......but the results where not half bad right, and the car doesn't smoke when I drive it, only when I let it engine break itself? The only thing I can think it is, is the valve stem seals. But could I really be burning THAT MUCH OIL with just valve stem seal problems? And it really only looks like I am leaking on cylinder 1 and 3, but those two had the highest compressions.....

but wait.... maybe there is oil down in the cylinder giving me the higher readings which is skewing my results?!?!?!?!

As you can see I'm lost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2088.JPG (68.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2089.JPG (81.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2091.JPG (60.6 KB, 0 views)
flexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Help Diagnose My Motor, Is it blown?

Well, lots of crankcase pressure means bad rings and/or a cracked piston. The oil smoke symptoms you describe are classic worn valve guides. So, I hate to say it, but I think you have an entirely worn engine.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote