Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #16
Lethidox
AF Newbie

Re: Normal for muffler to leak?

Yea that is the weird part but sadly even when i google stuff to try and find fixes it all says the same things but they don't even state if it's multiple misfires or just one cyclinder. vids i've watched same issue some say multiple misfires some don't even say anything just say it's misfiring :/

i do drive it but i mean i really shouldnt but can't do much about it. just trying to fix it ASAP especially since registration and safety is due by end of this month. kind of gauging if worth fixing or just letting it go already. probably put in more money trying to fix it via parts and tools that i could of just gotten another beater.

the down tester i can get i just got to find the air compressor not entirely sure where it is in the house. do you possibly have a dumbed down video i can watch on how to set this thing up properly? i seen 2 so far but i really don't understand what they are doing prior to putting the hose inside. something about putting the cylinder in TDC idk.

also if it happens to be the issue what would be the fix to this? also do you think it's even worth fixing? car is kind of old already just using it mostly for transportation but cost in repairs are just adding up. i eventually planned to keep it for 1 more year until i can save up for a car to work on and do more work on like engine and all that but yea i rather be safe and catch the bus to work if i need to rather then spend thousands fixing up a car that probably gonna cost more then its worth
Lethidox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #17
shorod
SHO No Mo

I've linked to the manual for one of two options that Harbor Freight Tools sells. The instructions for this model seem to make a bit more sense than the instructions for the similar, but less expensive, model they currently have on clearance sale for $25.
https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...4999/64918.pdf

Yes, you move the cylinder of interest to top dead center (TDC) so that the intake and exhaust valve(s) are closed. If all 6 spark plugs are removed when you do this, you should be able to rotate the engine with a reasonably sized socket and ratchet wrench. Then you introduce air from your air compressor into the cylinder using the leakdown tester while the dip stick is removed, the spark plugs are removed, the air intake tube is removed, and the radiator cap is removed. You'll probably want the air compressor reservoir full but the compressor turned off (unless it's in a different room) so that you can listen for escaping air. You will listen for air coming from the dip stick tube, a neighboring spark plug hole, the exhaust pipe, the air intake, and look for bubbling in the radiator.

If you hear air from the oil dip stick tube, you're getting air past the piston rings and your misfire may be due to low compression. But some air getting past the rings is to be expected, so comparing against other cylinders should be performed. If you hear air from the exhaust you have an exhaust valve that is not fully sealing and is likely causing the misfire. If you hear air from the air intake, then you have an issue with an intake valve (similar to the exhaust valve issue), and if you see bubbles in the radiator then you likely either have a bad head gasket or a cracked head/block.

On a more positive note, if the leakdown is within the acceptable range for any of these tests, the misfire is most likely not due to a mechanical issue with cylinder #1 and instead still related to either a fuel injector, spark plug, or the ignition system.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
Lethidox (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #18
Lethidox
AF Newbie

i ended up filling up my tank few days ago or maybe at the start of my work week ( friday ) removed the battery to try and replace the tps sensor since i just got it on friday. screws were SUPER soft didn't want to strip it.

anyways i noticed once the fuel was maybe 1/4 or less it was bucking hard af but when i filled it up it's working a LOT better now. this morning and last night in particular i was at a stop light and nothing. don't even feel it misfiring at a stop light. i had to double check i didn't stall or anything. really weird.

really didn't do anything to the car since but i did 1 thing that i thought might of helped. my van has like some "turbo" type of button not sure what it's called but basically you press it and it adds more fuel into the system allowing it to go faster. i often used this because i'd be messing around of course having fun. i figured maybe this thing was stuck open or something. turned it on and turned it off and that was it. thought maybe it got stuck on or something.

other then that yea i didn't really touch anything else just added more gas. it does feel like it is still misfiring when driving though but it's not as bad so far as before.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #19
shorod
SHO No Mo

Well, if adding more fuel made it run that much better, either you had some bad gas in the tank previously or your fuel pump is really weak and about to fail on you. Do you have a way to measure the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

This "turbo" button you mentioned, is it labeled something, or where is it located? You're not referring to the OD button are you? I cannot think of any button that would be available to the driver and would have an impact on the fuel delivery.

Years prior, in at least the Mustang SVOs, there was a button for when Premium fuel was used, but I'm pretty sure that never made it to a Windstar.

-Rod
Lethidox (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 05:25 AM   #20
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

It's probably something like a power/eco button. They don't add more fuel, they simply allow the trans to shift later. They are separate from OD buttons.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #21
Lethidox
AF Newbie

yea the OD i forget what it's called it's on the shifter. just press it to turn on and turn off. idk what it does tbh i just figured it added more gas because when i put it on it goes a hell of a lot faster, quicker.

yesterday i tried to turn AC on since i had to pick up the dog and it's hot especially with the car parked in the sun all day. car started to buck hard. when i turned it off issue went away. i usually don't run the AC with this though cause i noticed this issue when the misfire started to happen. i mean i checked the coolant one time over the weekend in the reservoir i thought maybe it was bubbling as there is this hissing sound i can't figure out wth it is sounds like a straight up air leak if i had to guess.

coolant looks okay to me though car isn't running anymore hotter then before biggest issue with that is air pocket i know cause i didn't burp it good last time i replaced the water pump to fix coolant leak.

the other weird part to is now it takes the car a LOT longer to register the CEL idk why i erase the codes via battery or scanner and drive it multiple cycles CEL doesn't come on but maybe 6-7 days of driving it then it may come on again. i hope it was just bad fuel tbh. im gonna try run it some more see what happens but yea i mean other then that it seems to be doing 50/50. sometimes it runs great other times i can still feel the misfire
Old 12-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #22
shorod
SHO No Mo

Turning the overdrive (OD) off will prevent the transmission from shifting to overdrive and will keep the engine higher in the power band at higher speeds, giving the impression of more responsiveness, but also with reduced fuel economy at those higher speeds.

The bucking with the A/C on was probably just due to the increased load on the engine from the A/C compressor, hence making the misfire seem worse at low engine speeds.

-Rod
Lethidox (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 01:45 AM   #23
Lethidox
AF Newbie

maybe was just bad fuel. i think i removed the battery last week friday/saturday after my package came in been driving the van regularly now for the past week CEL doesn't even pop up anymore.

car still vibrates here and there though im not entirely sure what it is though. sometimes nothing, sometimes it vibrates. i try to keep an eye on it but yea not even once has it turned back on. seems okay now though my fuel economy seems to be better before i'd run half the tank down in like 4 days from the misfire. still feels like it is lacking power though i mean for speed limits here not too bad but not like before when i'd play around it would struggle hitting 80-90s
Old 12-20-2021, 02:49 AM   #24
Lethidox
AF Newbie

so filled up tank from 1/4 full to maybe 3/4th full now. drove off from the gas station and BAM CEL comes on. starts stuttering when i gas it as well.

you think fuel pump is what is causing the issue? seems like now this issue happens when after i fill up past 2 times already. then CEL stops blinking stays steady and starts blinking again. shutting off the car i tried after i picked my sister up from work seemed to help but still same issue.

it's like there is a bunch of air bubbles i guess you could say in the fuel line or something that is how the stuttering feels to me at least. filled it up at the same gas station, same exact pump. last time i used a different pump but im sure the gas is all from basically the same well or something.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #25
shorod
SHO No Mo

Since the check engine light came on, there will be stored diagnostic codes. Have the codes read and see if it's still a single cylinder misfire. If so, it would be VERY unlikely to be directly related to fuel or fuel pressure.

There is likely a fuel pressure Schrader valve on the fuel rail of your Windstar. You may be able to "rent" a fuel pressure tester (with Ford adapter) from your local auto parts store to determine if your fuel pressure is within specification or not.

-Rod
Old 12-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #26
Lethidox
AF Newbie

yea it still reads misfire cylinder 1. figured maybe if it was fuel pressure it would have multiple misfires not just the one. seems to have gotten worse though can't even hit 60mph.

Do you think i am better off just cutting my loses now? car registration is due at end of this month thats about $450 not including tax if they tax it. probably won't be able to figure out the issue without taking it to shop. thats probably going to cost maybe $1k+ over here at least. already got quoted for water pump change $1k.

take my loses and just save up for another car to work on. something smaller.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #27
shorod
SHO No Mo

I suppose that depends on what you can afford, and if there's any sentimental value to this Windstar. You at least know what ISN'T wrong with the vehicle. If you buy something else, you would be starting over at square one. Although if what you replace this with runs well at the time, you will be ahead from that perspective.

There's a good chance the Windstar will nickel and dime you for the remainder of your ownership, and even if you put the money and time into fixing it and making it reliable, it's unlikely you'll get that money back out of it if you sell it within the next couple of years.

-Rod
Lethidox (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:23 PM   #28
Lethidox
AF Newbie

thanks yea that is what my friend who works on cars who tried to teach me told me. says it wasn't worth investing time/money into before i get "attached". ended up just paying for the registration and gonna let the safety expire but my dad is already looking at a new car since he wants something due to sentimental value on his work truck he doesn't want to run it up in mileage.

as for me yea i am also looking at a brand new car or at least something lower in mileage. maybe in a few months i will be ready for purchase or at least put a decent down payment on it.

other then that i got another friends husband whom i met back in college me and his wife majored in the same thing. he is a mechanic but yea he wanted to check out the van i told him though what i already have done but figure let him drive it and maybe he can diagnose from there.

i think my dad wants to keep the van at least to take his dog out walking everyday mileage wise it's not bad. he might trade it in get something at least so i can get a new car plus it's just gonna take up garage space otherwise.

thanks for all the help btw. really appreciate it i mean idk jack shit about cars or fixing cars so i appreciate your patience especially if i had dumb questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethidox For This Useful Post:
shorod (12-31-2021)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General