Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
winstona
AF Regular

Re: 06 TAMIYA MODEL SHOW with SLR sample pics

Thanks for the pictures! I wonder why they don't fix the doors before displaying it. Or they should display it with open doors.

Winston
winstona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #17
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12

i agree with guys,especially ZOOMZOOM.i prefer a well-proportioned closed up body too.and the plated body kit is the mater what i can never accept,it's idiotic for a company like TAMIYA IMO.
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
TireGaint
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics, hope they will fix the doors.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

I hate to burst the bash-on-Tamiya bubble (again), but metal plated and clear bodies are something that Tamiya has been doing for years. A lot of other companies do clear bodied kits, too, not just on cars, either, but on planes and things like that. It's not a new idea, and while I don't think most builders pay money for them, it's not another nail in Tamiya's coffin. I also am of the mind that the opening doors on this kit will be cool. If it was just a regular car with regular opening doors, then fine. But this car, like the Enzo and the Opel DTM cars before them, have cool enough doors to warrant having a model kit where the doors open. I think it will be rad.

I agree, mostly, that it would be great if Tamiya would start really tooling up and making lots of neat new models. But only because it would be great if we all got what we wanted tooled up. I think, though, between Tamiya and their amazing supercar kits, and Aoshima and Fujimi filling in the rest of the space with better and better kits of everything else, that all the complaining is kind of moot at this point.

Now if somebody would just make a kit of the 2006 Si....

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #20
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by auw12
i agree with guys,especially ZOOMZOOM.i prefer a well-proportioned closed up body too.and the plated body kit is the mater what i can never accept,it's idiotic for a company like TAMIYA IMO.

I also agree, but the doors can always be fixed. Diecast chasis, well thats another story. The body looks good from what i can see. If this kit does come with a dieeeeecast chasis and a badly detailed engine bay, then i probably won't get this kit for a while. Too much money for me, id rather buy a rare old kit that has a badly proportioned body for that price. It would be nice though if sms came out with a super detail kit for the slr, but i think they just wouldn't want to waste their time. I could be wrong though. I personally think tamiya is falling off slowly from the car scene.
As for the clear bodies, only make em for very detailed cars. Which they have been (enzo, Benz, f40,etc). Its an old idea, but they should spend money on creating more cars instead of making clear bodies. In the end it always comes down to money.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #21
Chuck Kourouklis
AF Regular

Yo, ZoomZoom -

It was an ugly duckling fit-assessment build for that last ranking article, so it wasn't suitable for photos. But my Tamiya Enzo actually enjoyed the best opening panel fit I've ever seen in a 1/24 car. The only problem I had was marginally uneven gaps between the roof panel and the top edges of the doors, and if I had knocked off the locating pins and repositioned the roof panel, it probably would have taken care of that problem.

Of course, that was without paint. And the tolerances seemed so tight, they might indeed be affected by finishing agents.

Meantime, I just kinda gotta grin at forum extremes. On one hand, we've got hysterical old ladies hedging their petticoats against ANY critical deflowering of AMT's virtue. And on the other, we've got builders rabid enough to go for - zounds, say it ain't so - Tamiya's jugular??

**GASP**

Well hush my mouth.

Now as for the SLR, it looks to me like the doors are merely a few degrees off their pivot axes. Or, in terms of suspension geometry, it appears they have a bit too much positive camber relative to their hinge attachments - seems like they'd fit well, otherwise, and it may just be a small tweak to get them back in line.

Then again, for fifty bucks...
Chuck Kourouklis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #22
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Well we bitched when there was no SLR and now we bitch when there is an SLR. No wonder model companies that snoop around on the net are just doing rereleases and no new subjects. I am totally appalled at the Tamiya bashing around here as of late. Tamiya does some top-notch work as far as I'm concerned, how many times have you had to fight with a Tamiya to get all 4 wheels to sit on the ground, for me never, try that with an AMT/Revellogram. I for one can't wait for the SLR to arrive at my doorstep and only then once I have the kit will I make an opinion, not from some blurry pics posted on the net. I wouldnt be surprised if Tamiya just cancelled the project all together after reading the comments in the SLR threads.

I'm sure that once Rallyraider, robrex, kunta, hiroboy or CADguy (or the many other great modelers here) get there hands on one of these kits and build it all the naysayers will be lined up for it at thier LHS. Lets leave Tamiya alone untill we actually have this kit in our hands and try to build it. Just my 2 cents.

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #23
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

speaking of re-releases, Tamiya needs to re-release the Mercedes S600 coupe because I can't find one any where to buy. I look on ebay every day but no luck.
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #24
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemechanic
Well we bitched when there was no SLR and now we bitch when there is an SLR. No wonder model companies that snoop around on the net are just doing rereleases and no new subjects. I am totally appalled at the Tamiya bashing around here as of late.

Here here, can't you lot find something constructive to discsuss, who cares whether or not you buy the kit!
As Mike said, it's what you do with the kit that counts.
Some of the best builds I've ever seen on this site come from awful base kits!
Lurchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #25
Chuck Kourouklis
AF Regular

Now guys, I'll happily cede that gripes against Tamiya are rather more frivolous than gripes against AMT, but come on.

You really mean to suggest Tamiya will sink untold millions of yen (hundreds of thousands of dollars/euros) into tooling for a new SLR, then refuse to amortize that tooling by producing the kit? All out of a snit over criticism on an online forum??

What in Tamiya's history has indicated such a colossal extreme of stupidity? (Well, besides that newly ubiquitous diecast chassis? )

Sorry, gentlemen, but that's the very attitude I was lampooning with the AMT apologists. Sure, some people go overboard - but you can occasionally call a spade a spade without impugning your own building skills or expecting a tantrum from the manufacturer.
Chuck Kourouklis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #26
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Yay Chuck! Tell it like it is!

Tamiya isn't about to quit making model kits because of criticism of their products on some internet boards. No manufacturer runs away from critique; the better ones face it head-on to keep their customers happy and buying their product. They balance the desires of the consumers with the realities of running a business. I'm just one voice of criticism. I've defended Revell many times right here against an onslaught of ridiculous criticism when they've been unfairly branded as "crap" when much of what they make is anything but. Yet they haven't run away and hid when people on the 'net make stupid and ignorant remarks about their products.

If one wants a good glimpse into the mind of Mr. Tamiya and how he sees the business, read the new IPMS Journal, where there is a two-page interview with him. Licensing is the biggest obstacle to making a kit, not manufacturing. He's dying to make a B-17 kit, but because the US automakers started the whole royalty-fee generation scheme, it's infected companies like Boeing and now model companies cannot justify the crushing licensing fees demanded to make a kit. I'm sure a huge part of the high cost of the SLR is due to licensing fees, not manufacturing costs (Tamiya uses a factory in the Phillipines to tool/produce the kits). That's not Tamiya's fault. But it can't stop people from crying "uncle" when they feel the price of entry has gotten so steep that they don't feel they want to spend the money for a particular kit.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #27
Cold_Fire
Vendor

Don't know if you have seen this guys, there are some pics of engine, interior and underpanel:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=24290
Cold_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #28
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

MY nightmares are true, dieeecast chasis with no detail at all.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #29
patoffspyder
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMazar
MY nightmares are true, dieeecast chasis with no detail at all.
Yes, but body, interior, wheels and engine look great. I prefer that over a full detailed chassis.
patoffspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #30
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

From what I can tell in the photos, and aside from the diecast chassis (which is probably the only valid criticism of Tamiya), it will be a fabulous kit. This car personally gets me more excited than does the ugly duckling Enzo and the kind of weird, uninspiring, not really Porsche-looking Cararararara.

And all else considered, I just recieved the AMT 68 Camaro and Revell 06 Corvette in the mail, and was pleasantly surprised by both. I just wish US manufacturers could learn to mold as crisply as their Japanese counterparts (and learn to use 1:24). When that happens, everything will be right with the world, and there will be no more griping to be had.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling