Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
4boostin
AF Newbie

98 Buick Regal GS - Brake Problem

After backing out of my driveway, and putting the car in gear, I've always heard a clicking noise, which I assumed was the ABS. Lately, after putting the car in drive, I hear the clicking noise and the ABS light, and the brake light come on and the brakes are stuck on as if I am pushing on the pedal when I try to accelerate. On one occasion when this happened, I drove for a block and then felt all the rotors. The right front rotor was too hot to touch compared to the others. If I put the car in Park, shut it off and restart it, there is no ABS or brake light on and I can feel the stuck brake release when I start to accelerate. I can now drive for miles and miles without a problem. After being parked for a few minutes to several hours, the problem happens all over again.

Is my right front ABS sensor bad??
Old 10-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 98 Buick Regal GS - Brake Problem

Have it scanned with a code reader than can read ABS codes. It will tell you exactly which sensor to inspect. Just make sure the ABS light is on when you have it read.

The sensor could be bad, but the more common culprit is the wiring on or near the control arm is broken, damaged.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:44 AM   #3
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

sounds like an internal laminated brake hose- that is acting like a check valve- holding pressure against the caliper....seen it a lot. If caliper is sticking- my money is on the brake hose from caliper to body-- change it....
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

I would agree that the hot brake is likely the result of dragging, and the most common causes of that are a stuck caliper piston or slider, or an internally collapsed hose. I've had both. That needs to be repaired very soon, and driving should be curtailed before further damage is created.

However, neither of those are likely to affect the ABS system, and the warning lamp is probably due to a different cause.

As advised previously, scan for codes and determine the cause, which is often the wheel harness or sensor/reluctor itself. It is possible that the caliper has been stuck long enough to begin shredding the rotor, and the resultant contamination has covered the sensor and nulled the signal, but that is only a remote chance.

A more remote possibility is a stuck valve in the ABS unit. That could cause the dragging brake as well as the warning lamp. The vehicle likely has the Delco ABS VI unit which is relatively easy to troubleshoot. In any event, scan for codes as a diagnostic aid.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal