Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Tinkerin_wit_tools
AF Newbie

I thought I knew how to drive, until I got my S-10!

Sorry if some of you may consider this an ignorant question, but I have to put it out to those of you who know way more than me.
I have driven front wheel drive sedans my whole life and recently purchased a used S-10 pickup for a really good price. Other than the fact that I have to get used to driving a four cylinder, it is rear wheel drive. My wife's Blazer is also, but it has plenty of weight distributed so I have never had any issues like I have had recently.
Has only been two weeks since my purchase and went through a rain storm the other day coming home from work. I skidded LOTS of times going up and down the hills of my neighborhood!
So, I wanted to know from all the experienced pickup owners out there what I can do. The tires are pretty good, but do I have to get special ones? Is it the fact that pickups have no weight in the back? Should I get a bus pass for every time it rains or snows? Figured I should ask this now, because when fall and winter hit, I will be up the creek if I cannot drive it successfully in that weather.
Help...
Tinkerin_wit_tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: I thought I knew how to drive, until I got my S-10!

Ignorant questions are easy. Ignorance, by definition, is a lack of knowledge. That can be remedied very easily by a little education. Stupidity, on the other hand, might be hopeless. For example, when it comes to internal medicine, I'm pretty flippin' ignorant. I know a little about anatomy but not enough to pretend to know anything about heart surgery. However, since I'm not stupid, I know enough not to try my hand at a valve replacement.

You seem to fall into the previous category, and won't be ignorant of the situation for very long.

Give yourself some time to acquaint yourself with the vehicle. You have some bad habits to break if you've never driven a RWD vehicle in marginal traction conditions.

When I learned to drive the only front drive cars around were the Olds Toronado and Caddy El Dorado. Even better, most cars and trucks had open differentials, essentially making them one-wheel-drive vehicles.

When a RWD begins to slide the vehicle can be brought under control using steering, acceleration, and braking, or any combination thereof. When a FWD vehicle begins to slide all you get is steering. You don't dare apply any power or any substantial braking because that typically results in the front axle "going dumb" and the vehicle will simply continue in the direction it was last pointed regardless of inputs.

I use a Sonoma with the mighty 134-inch four-holer and five speed as my daily driver in winter. It has no locker, and is thus the proverbial one wheel drive vehicle. When the snow flies and ice accumulates, I drive past a LOT of 4WD and AWD vehicles in ditches and on embankments. It's not the vehicle. It's the operator and lack of skill with the vehicle.

When winter hits, I generally stow about 150 pounds of bagged rock salt restrained at the rear of the bed. This helps a little with traction but can be a bit of a detriment in slides. It may help you with wet traction as well.

Generally speaking, taller and narrower tires will perform better on pavement in marginal traction conditions. The higher pressure per area provides better grip and tends to pump out more water than wider tires.

Standard light truck tires (Michelin LTX - from right across the border in SC) have always worked well for me. Keep the tires properly inflated. I never use snow tires any more since the good quality all-season radials seem to do just as well as dedicated snow tires, and are superior on ice.

If your tires are in good condition and have reasonable tread depth remaining, it might help you to check into tire siping. Many tire service centers offer this as an in-house service, and it isn't terribly expensive - Often about $10 per tire.

If you give yourself some time and practice, and make a few adjustments, the S-10 will be just fine in rain, snow, or on ice.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10