Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
oilman2
AF Newbie

Re: The GAS CAP code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a big issue, but FYI, reformulated gasoline (i.e., the diluted E10 stuff that replaced MTBE) is only used in areas that do not meet government polution goals. This is mainly just California and the East Coast with some few major cities in between (e.g, Ft. Worth/Dallas and Houston). Fortunately, the rest of our country does not have to use this stuff. The travesty is that the political establishment forced this on us to make the corn growers and other ag interests happy. The oil companies also charge more for it (much higher distribution costs because it can't be put in the pipelines, but has to be trucked and mixed at the local distribution centers) and we get lower milage than before. Overall, MTBE was a much better answer, povided society learns not to be stupid and spill it (legitimate ground water polution issue).

See link below from EPA showing where reformulated gas is required. The rest of of the country still gets good 100% unadulterated gasoline molucules (minus a few additives).

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm
oilman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #17
wrparks
AF Regular

Hey Man, you may want to check the date on that table. Sept, 2005. I'm pretty sure Merlin is right and pretty much all of our gas has some level of EToH up to 10% now.
wrparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #18
Sledgod
AF Newbie

Re: The p0446 code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote=GMMerlin]
Quote:
[P0446 – This indicates there is a restriction or blockage of the Vent Solenoid.
This is a TYPE B code. Any thing that prevents the venting of the EVAP system will set this code…usually dust and debris in the Vent solenoid or a damaged vent hose will cause this.
/QUOTE]

GMM
Yeah I have that code also But I replaced the rear vent solenoid and gas cap looked over the hoses all the way to the intake manifold which looked good...is there something else that code could indicate? Could it be the cannister itself and if so are they expensive? I have a 2002 Silverado 5.3 Z71. I have cleared the code 3 times now and have tried something different each time to try and clear it...it has always set at 68-70 Mph or whenever I'm on the interstate.. Any help is VERY much appreciated.
Sledgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 AM   #19
Yellow Snow
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Yellow Snow Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow Snow
Re: The p0446 code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgod
Yeah I have that code also But I replaced the rear vent solenoid and gas cap looked over the hoses all the way to the intake manifold which looked good...is there something else that code could indicate? Could it be the cannister itself and if so are they expensive? I have a 2002 Silverado 5.3 Z71. I have cleared the code 3 times now and have tried something different each time to try and clear it...it has always set at 68-70 Mph or whenever I'm on the interstate.. Any help is VERY much appreciated.

I'm getting the same code on my 01 5.3 Z71. I called the dealership and they said that there is a kit available to Replace/prevent this from happening. (If you replace the vent solenoid with same one, you will eventually deal with this again) I can't remember what he said the kit cost, but he quoted me roughly $300 for them to take care of everything.

I was wondering how hard it would be to install this yourself. I'm not exactly sure where the vent solenoid is located, or if any special tools are necessary. I have a friend that's a certified mechanic so hopefully I can talk him into helping me out, because I'd rather not dish out 300 smackaroos if it's something anyone with some mechanical ability can figure out.

BFG All Terrains
Flowmaster Catback
Silverstar Ultra High/low
Sirius sat. radio
More to come.....
Yellow Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #20
grand prix driver
AF Newbie

Hey people........I have a 2000 pontiac grand prix se..........code po446 is set meaning blockage or restriction of the vent solenoid......also on start up the gas gauge will go to the full mark then after 1 or 2 minutes will decline to the empty mark and the low fuel light will come on........will fixing the code po446 cure the fuel sending unit problem ??????.......or will replacing the fuel sending unit and fixing the blockage or restriction of the vent solenoid cure the whole problem..... ..I need direction ............THANKS.....Also where is the vent solenoid located ????????
grand prix driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #21
kalurah
AF Newbie

Before you replace the Evap Canister read this

Subject: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated (Replace Hose/Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Asm) #02-06-04-037A - (02/02/2005)
Models: 1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Models
1999-2003 GMC Sierra Models
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the instrument panel SES light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.

Cause
Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

Correction
After following the Service Manual diagnostic P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the SES light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent hose assembly with a new assembly, P/N 15086429. This new assembly has an enhanced filtering capability and a filter element that can be easily removed and cleaned. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedure below.

Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.
Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.
Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.
Disengage, from the underbody, the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody.
Remove and discard the complete EVAP canister vent hose assembly.
Position and secure the new assembly to the underbody using the existing hole and mounting bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.
Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.
Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Lower the vehicle.
When properly installed, the new EVAP canister vent hose assembly will be positioned outboard of the original installation location. This new location provides clearance for accessing the filter element for cleaning purposes. To access the filter element, disengage the filter cover to valve locking finger by gently lifting the finger upward while simultaneously rotating the filter body clockwise. After approximately 45 degrees of rotation, the filter can be disengaged from the valve by gently pulling outward. The filter cover can then be removed and the filter element and body can be washed with soap and water. Prior to reinstalling, ensure that the body and filter element are dry.

Parts Information
Part Number 15086429 Hose Asm-Evap Emis Cnstr Vent
kalurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #22
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

hello
't was great to read all the science behind the code. and many cries for how to fix it without paying large bill to your stealership, or lesser to your mechanic, etc.
so, i am an addicted do it yourself first, feed the dealer if you have no other choice person. so here's my fix: i replaced the fuel tank cap with one from shucks, it's six bucks, has pressure relieve valve in it, and is made in usa. also, pretty red color. no, it does not have a cord that holds it from being lost. then i flushed fuel system with a can of seafoam on full tank. had it done some 4 mths ago.
that's it. 12 bucks damage. no special tools, smog injectors, and such. god bless the guy on internet who posted "can't tell how many $100 jobs have we charged for simple re-snugging or replacement of the gas cap". excellent tip.
oh, something else. i do not buy cheap gas and gasohol. it's only chevron, texaco, and occasinally shell. just my opinion. you bet THAT has to do some with the code.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #23
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

i am only speck of dust at the mighties of this thread feet, but humbly say must i that ethanol is not in ALL gas and not in ALL metro areas. reason i know this is that about 2 yrs ago, i have contacted every major gasoline retailer here in the pacific northwest. as you have noticed, virtually every lower end gas station has a white tag on dispenser saying: this gasoline contains 10% ethanol. chevron, texaco, shell, bp, exxon, did not. so, me being me, i emailed them direct.
surprisingly, they did all reply! sometimes, from a very high level, from folks that manage half the country. so, chevron does not, texaco does not, shell does mostly, but not in some areas, exxon does not, bp varied. turned out to be, there are local regulations that do not permit use of ethanol. 'about that!
so, as a thought on the side, i do have better mpg on chevron gas. that comes from a dude that drove for almost a year with digital mpg/data gauge connected to OBD2 plug and mileage logged.
ethanol is virtually inescapable in corn producing states, where farmers bullied it into the law, to have their corn crops supported. i came across stories of folks driving to canada for non-ethanol gas purchases. on the surface, government was "concerned" about peoples welfare (does it ever? ), but between the lines, the whole ethanol boom was initiated by huge pressure and lobbying from organized farmers.
even on the better left thought, folks drive to mexico to tank, as last time i checked, gas was around 2 bucks a gallon there. too far to drive to venezuela though, with it's 17 cents a gall.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
ki4ppg
AF Newbie

Re: Gas cap error

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMerlin
All gasoline sold in the US is 10% ethenol
not true if that was trus then all pumps would have to say 20% eth as im a gas hauler and we slpash blend eth here on the east coast there fore it would be E20
ki4ppg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
laneman
AF Newbie

Well I had a P0449 code , engine light on for about a week.After a $430.00 est I decided I would try it myself.Had a thought after reading all the threads & decided to leave cap off for a day in our 100* heat .The light went off.I'll watch it & see what happens.

laneman
2006 Silverado 4x4
72000 mi
laneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #26
listenloud
AF Newbie

My truck had the gas cap code. It began shorty after I installed a cheap aftermarket fuel pump. It also began to have problems starting, like fuel pressure was bleeding off. The engine light seemed to come on when the tank was low on fuel only. I replaced the cap and the fuel regulator. No change. I replaced the pump with a quality replacement pump and all symptoms were fixed. I didn't read through all the posts, but I don't recall seeing any that indicated the pump can cause this code. In my case the cheap pump was the cause.
1997 Ford Mustang Cobra Convt. - W/E
listenloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #27
dmilacek
AF Newbie

I live in Nebraska and we can choose between Regular 87 Octane, 10% Ethanol 89 Octane, or Premium 91 Octane. I see this is most places that I travel.
dmilacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #28
fosgatexlt
AF Newbie

My 2006 Chevy Impala has the "Tighten Gas Cap" blinking. I brought it into work where we did the trouble codes and used the scanner to find out the codes and that the Canister Vent Solenoid was leaking by way to EVAP smoke test. So I bought a new Soleniod,installed it, cleared the codes and the thing is back on the next morning. Can anyone tell me what else could be wrong in the system to bring up the 0445 code? The smoke clearly came out around the solenoid, hopefully there isn't something stupid like a loose hose.
fosgatexlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #29
SilveradoRoman
AF Newbie

Hi im new on here. I started my Silvy last night and heard a clicking noise i havent heard before for a few minutes. then it went away. 1 minute later the "SES" service engine soon light came on....Still no clicking noise and havent heard it since then. so I went to autozone pulled the code P0446.

My question...The clicking sound I heard..is that the EVAP Vent Solenoid being fried...I still seem to be having a problem locating it. 01 silverado 2wd reg cab short box. 26 gallon tank. All parts on the fuel delivery look new especially the gas tank. just bought the truck last year. looks like to me they had a problem with this before and decided to replace everything before the warranty went up...i bought it with 77,000 miles on it and now it has 92,000. I did add a half bottle of AMSOIL gas additive 3 days before. and a oil change with AMSOIL xl 5w-30 a/c delco oil filter.
SilveradoRoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #30
andyrerick
AF Newbie

Hey folks im really sorry to post off topic but i need help right away!! my friend has a 2003 lancer. I am not familiar with newer mitsubishis. she was on the highway and her car shut off. we pushed it to burger king. I checked her oil and it was empty, so i assume the car shut off because of that. we put in 3 qts and tried again but it still would not catch. it is turning over like a champ tho. please help! is there something i need to do to reset the sensor or something? why wont it turn on? lancers do have that safety feature right? and is there a chance she just destroyed the engine? thanks alot! you will definitely help me score some points and just help out another person
andyrerick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado