Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
l1driver
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to l1driver Send a message via MSN to l1driver
Tranny Question

I have a 00 Silverado 1500 Z71, 4.8, Auto Trans, 249,250 miles. I had the Trans. rebuilt about 5yrs ago. This past Thanksgiving on my way back from SC my Torque Converter failed and I had to have the Tranny overhauled again at Aamco in St. Marys Ga. They told me that there was no damage to any hard parts and replaced the Torque converter and all the seals and clutches. Recently I've noticed every now and then when I start from a dead stop at a red light it feels like the tranny slips a little then catches. Almost feels like the rear wheels are spinning. Very strange. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
l1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
ColoradoSilverado
AF Regular

Re: Tranny Question

I must be very lucky! 270,000 miles on original tranny, no rebuilds!
Original motor + transmission!
As of 3/21/14, I'm at 266,300+ miles!

My wife's Truck:
2005 F150 Lariat CrewCab
(Way nicer them my truck!)
ColoradoSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1driver View Post
I have a 00 Silverado 1500 Z71, 4.8, Auto Trans, 249,250 miles. I had the Trans. rebuilt about 5yrs ago. This past Thanksgiving on my way back from SC my Torque Converter failed and I had to have the Tranny overhauled again at Aamco in St. Marys Ga. They told me that there was no damage to any hard parts and replaced the Torque converter and all the seals and clutches. Recently I've noticed every now and then when I start from a dead stop at a red light it feels like the tranny slips a little then catches. Almost feels like the rear wheels are spinning. Very strange. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
when the transmission gets rebuilt if the shell breaks up the torque converter will require replacing and the fluid cooling system needs flushing.

since they determined you had a bad converter then I suspect the replacement is also failing. my other question is what fluid did they use ?

DEXRON III IS NO LONGER AN APPROVED TRANSMISSION FLUID !

DEXRON VI IS THE ONLY GM APPROVED FLUID TO USE ........

after any tranny re-build the fluid must be replaced after a few thousand miles of operation and the pan cleaned out to be sure the tranny is with no issues.

the shell cracks then you get these type issues ..the pieces damage the torque converter.. DEXRON III eats at the shell making it weak [acid]..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
l1driver
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to l1driver Send a message via MSN to l1driver

Thanks for the Info Jcat. I am taking it to Aamco tomorrow to have it checked since it is still under warranty.
l1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1driver View Post
Thanks for the Info Jcat. I am taking it to Aamco tomorrow to have it checked since it is still under warranty.
I would not trust them on using the proper fluids. they put mercon tranny fluid in my family members 5 speed stick. this caused the shifting to be very difficult since it requires sychromesh gear oil. see the mercon is cheaper ...same deal with the no longer approved dexron III very very cheap stuff when you compare to the dexron VI ...the VI is a synthetic fluid ...and like I said no longer approved by GM since 2006 !

good luck ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado