Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Murphster05
AF Newbie

Passenger Side Wet Floor - A/C Condensate

Hello,

I have been doing some reading through some other threads about the passenger floor under the matt being incredibly wet and some of the causes / solutions. After reading quite a few threads on the matter, I believe that mine can be traced to the A/C Condensate.

1) Passenger side only
2) Doesn't smell like coolant
3) Hasn't rained here in quite a while and yet the floor was still soaked

Yesterday I set out to try and find a way to get this fixed. I tried clearing out the output on the firewall, I didn't check how hard air was flowing here before but after sending some pipe cleaners down there and starting the car with A/C on and the blower on high there was a considerable amount of air coming out of this "drain". I left the truck sitting for a while with the a/c on and didn't notice any water draining down into the passenger side, how rapidly will this happen? If left to sit while running is it possible to actually watch this start to drain inside or....?

Thank you for your help!
Murphster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Passenger Side Wet Floor - A/C Condensate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster05 View Post
Hello,

I have been doing some reading through some other threads about the passenger floor under the matt being incredibly wet and some of the causes / solutions. After reading quite a few threads on the matter, I believe that mine can be traced to the A/C Condensate.

1) Passenger side only
2) Doesn't smell like coolant
3) Hasn't rained here in quite a while and yet the floor was still soaked

Yesterday I set out to try and find a way to get this fixed. I tried clearing out the output on the firewall, I didn't check how hard air was flowing here before but after sending some pipe cleaners down there and starting the car with A/C on and the blower on high there was a considerable amount of air coming out of this "drain". I left the truck sitting for a while with the a/c on and didn't notice any water draining down into the passenger side, how rapidly will this happen? If left to sit while running is it possible to actually watch this start to drain inside or....?

Thank you for your help!
I would remove the blower motor and the air filter cover if you have one and clean out the air box the best you can . depending on the model year filters are used . some with no filters will cause the drain to plug up esp. if you park under dirty trees that shed crap ..with the ac on and a humid dewpoint of 60 deg and higher the water should flow out at a good rate out the evap air box drain...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Make sure the rubber elbow is on that drain outlet-- otherwise the water will not flow out when driving highway speeds- and will back up and out the airbox seals and onto your floor.

B-bodies were famous for this in the early 90's, the assembly plant forgot to install the rubber drain elbow on several units and the carpets were wet after only one hour driving, without stopping.

Air pressure (from driving 60 mph) won't allow it to drain if no elbow.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Murphster05
AF Newbie

Jcat and BRcidd - thanks for the responses, very appreciated!

Jcat - I took out the blower motor and cabin air filter (is this what you were saying I should try, or were you thinking the motor under the hood and the engine air filter?) Took it out and took the cabin air filters out, everything is clean and in great shape, the cabin filters had a little bit of stuff in them, but nothing extreme.

brcidd - the elbow was on initially and is back on there now, so I don't think that could have been the issue but appreciate the feedback.

I put the carpeting back down (had it up with towels down to soak up the water on the pad) and added some paper towels all over so I can check to see if they get wet again.

Is there anything else I should check or just hope that this does it?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Jcat and BRcidd - thanks for the responses, very appreciated!

Jcat - I took out the blower motor and cabin air filter (is this what you were saying I should try, or were you thinking the motor under the hood and the engine air filter?) Took it out and took the cabin air filters out, everything is clean and in great shape, the cabin filters had a little bit of stuff in them, but nothing extreme.

brcidd - the elbow was on initially and is back on there now, so I don't think that could have been the issue but appreciate the feedback.

I put the carpeting back down (had it up with towels down to soak up the water on the pad) and added some paper towels all over so I can check to see if they get wet again.

Is there anything else I should check or just hope that this does it?
what I was saying is remove that stuff to inspect and clean out the air box. not to run with all that removed.
on that drain tube ....it is important to have that in place..on my 1996 impala the drain tube I put an extension on it to direct the water flow away from the electrical connectors ... 02 sensor is at the area it drips...

my guess is you should be good.. keep checking ...

best to remove the rug and make sure it is very dry before placing back ... this will rot out the floor if wet and trapped under there..
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Murphster05
AF Newbie

Sorry for the confusion, I took it all out to make sure that it was clean in there, all of it is back and was running this morning to see if I could duplicate soaking the carpets, no issues this morning. I will pull the carpet back up and leave it for the weekend, it was really close to dry so I think I am very close to good here, but hopefully no more swamps in my passenger side... hahaha.

The elbow is back on and installed, going to double check that I put it facing straight down and not at some sort of angle...

Will post back up after a freeway drive with the AC on to see if that causes any issues...
Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, I took it all out to make sure that it was clean in there, all of it is back and was running this morning to see if I could duplicate soaking the carpets, no issues this morning. I will pull the carpet back up and leave it for the weekend, it was really close to dry so I think I am very close to good here, but hopefully no more swamps in my passenger side... hahaha.

The elbow is back on and installed, going to double check that I put it facing straight down and not at some sort of angle...

Will post back up after a freeway drive with the AC on to see if that causes any issues...
the reason along with the rust if the carpet is wet is it will start to smell bad ..so just keep it off until your sure its corrected and not something else like the windshield or some other body issue...
Old 05-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Quote:

Hello Murphster05,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing leaks from the A/C in your vehicle. Have you considered taking this into the dealership to get looked at? I would be happy to assist! Send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and preferred dealership. Thanks!

Patsy G
GM Customer Care
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
JEDD712
AF Newbie

I too have a wet passenger side floor in my 2008 Accord. I have been getting a noise that sounds like something sliding off a table when I make a sharp turn to the left WITH the AC fan ON. I don't hear the noise when the fan is off. It sometimes sounds like a "rain stick." I mentioned this to a friend, and he said I bet the passenger side floor is wet, and sure enough, under the rubber mat on top of the floor mat it is soaked. I want to go to my mechanic but want some idea of what might be wrong. I'm hoping for clogged condenser drain, but what is the sound I hear? Is there a pan that gets full and overflows when I turn? Why do I only hear it when the FAN is on? thanks
JEDD712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDD712 View Post
I too have a wet passenger side floor in my 2008 Accord. I have been getting a noise that sounds like something sliding off a table when I make a sharp turn to the left WITH the AC fan ON. I don't hear the noise when the fan is off. It sometimes sounds like a "rain stick." I mentioned this to a friend, and he said I bet the passenger side floor is wet, and sure enough, under the rubber mat on top of the floor mat it is soaked. I want to go to my mechanic but want some idea of what might be wrong. I'm hoping for clogged condenser drain, but what is the sound I hear? Is there a pan that gets full and overflows when I turn? Why do I only hear it when the FAN is on? thanks
every vehicle has a different design. post at the honda forum...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado