Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Gbuzz71
AF Newbie

New battery advice

Looking to replace the original battery on my 03 5.3 silverado. Looking for suggestions. I live in upstate NY, I heard something about cold cranking amps? Thanks.
Gbuzz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: New battery advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuzz71 View Post
Looking to replace the original battery on my 03 5.3 silverado. Looking for suggestions. I live in upstate NY, I heard something about cold cranking amps? Thanks.
I have been using the 800-850 CCA ON MY vehicles for many years..I get about 7yrs of use before I replace them...they still work..just replace before failure/damage alternator etc....

synthetic engine oil reduces battery/starter motor failures with easy start on a cold weather condition...

question is what battery manufacturer to use ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
cramer_77
AF Regular

who ever told you about the cold cranking amps if right. you want a relatively high cca number cause on those cold mornings its gonna drag that battery down alot, stock replacement numbers wouldn't hurt anything but since you live in NY and it gets flipping cold up there, those few extra amps will help a lot. Something else to think about on the cold startups is start your vehicle with all your accessories off, reason being is 1. it will be easier on your alternator when its cold, let the truck run for a few minutes just so there is a little heat in your alternator before you turn on the heater, radio, lights, etc. Also you can go with a deep cycle battery, those will hold amperage better in the cold only downside is that when/if your battery goes dead you have to put them on a 24hr trickle charge.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Gbuzz71
AF Newbie

Thanks for your quick replies. Now... who makes a good quality battery? AC delco in there now, show I get another AC delco batt.?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for your quick replies. Now... who makes a good quality battery? AC delco in there now, show I get another AC delco batt.?
thats the problem. what battery manufacturer...try to find recent reviews on this item..
Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

Avoid an Interstate battery,their quality has gone down and they are junk.Used to be an Interstate dealer,father kicked them out because dealer would not warranty batteries very well.Switched to Auto Value batteries and replaced lot of Interstate batteries since the switch.Make sure you bring in the old battery on hand,cores on them are $7.00 to $10.00 a piece
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
kahjdh
AF Enthusiast

We use napa batteries, very good from what ive seen, I believe they are made by deka.
1996 Acura Integra LS B18 1.8L
Past Cars:
1990 Buick Estate Wagon 5.0L
1987 Chevy S10 2.5L Tec Four
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3 Quad 4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L AWD
1991 Ford Tempo L 2.3L
1992 Buick LeSabre 3.8L
1997 Buick Century 3.1L
1996 Lumina APV GT 3.4L
2006 Ford Escape 3.0L XLT
kahjdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Gbuzz71
AF Newbie

Just remembered that I saw something in my Nov. 2009 issue of consumer reports magazine auto batteries. Here the top 5 that scored the highest:

1. Die Hard platinim 50090
2. Optima red top SC34U
3. Deka Intimidator 9A7DT
4. DieHard 39990 (only available in the south it says)
5. Napa Legend Premium 8434/78

Should've checked my CR before I asked you guys, but thanks for your comments.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
jyount
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
Avoid an Interstate battery,their quality has gone down and they are junk.Used to be an Interstate dealer,father kicked them out because dealer would not warranty batteries very well.Switched to Auto Value batteries and replaced lot of Interstate batteries since the switch.Make sure you bring in the old battery on hand,cores on them are $7.00 to $10.00 a piece
That may very well be true for the white case gray top batteries. But the dealer around here sells ALL automotive blemishes for 35.00, You read right ALL. As in I put two 1000 cca batteries in my powerstroke for you guessed it, 35.00 a piece. Ran em for 4 years till I sold it. Unless they are junk after 6 months, I am sold. The only noticeable blemish that I have bought was one that had a buggered up post on the top edge, did not effect anything other than looks. May be a look at anyway. By the way, factory replacements in my stroke were upwards of 100 a piece, same warranty and less cranking amps, I went with the blems obviously.
Gave up wrenching for "Greener Pastures"

Current job: RN

2010 Silverado Z71 5.3L 65xxx

Wife's
2007 Suburban 1500 LTZ 5.3L 102xxx
jyount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Just remembered that I saw something in my Nov. 2009 issue of consumer reports magazine auto batteries. Here the top 5 that scored the highest:

2. Optima red top SC34U

There are many good batteries out there. I am not sure if CR ages batteries, but in my professional experience, I have found that AC Delco batteries are very reliable and long lasting, better than anything else I have tried.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
wafrederick
Banned

My father got poor service from this Interstate dealer and had enough of it.Carquest's batteries are junk and do last very well.Put a couple of theirs in a customer's Ford with the powerstroke and did not last for a couple weeks.Kept on replacing them and finally installed Auto Value Batteries which have held up.Diehard did have a battery with a lifetime warranty years ago and it was a flop,Sears discontinued this battery.I will never step in a Napa parts store and have heard many people that will not either,the sponsorship is on a Toyota race car driven by Micheal Waltrip.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:

2. Optima red top SC34U

thanks for that list. I don't agree with the sears die hard as being good/best..after the 3rd battery failed the same way broken internally at the negetive terminal, I used a/c delco and eveready..last battery purchased as I stated earlier has been 6-7 years now.

I got to get one before winter, getting too old to take a chance if the nasty cold ever gets here...
Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prad_kool View Post
Automotive industry is been introduced new technologies daily. One must be updated with the technologies related to products they are using. You can find the important Car and battery tips by famous Automotive Battery Manufacturers Tata Green Battery here : https://www.facebook.com/TataGreenBattery
sorry to say this but no one here in the USA is gonna buy a Battery made in INDIA .

since you say these are the best made with the latest Indian technology , what is the warranty coverage ? how many years ?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado