Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Legnum
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:19 AM   #16
stustunz
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel consumption

mega i had a new fuel pump fitted and injectors cleaned when i first got the car that chaged jake shit.
An update on what i have done after last week and talking on here i decided to block off the egr valve. well bugger me ye ha i just got 555km out of a tank of gas and it still has some gas in the tank so id say i should get around 580 to 600 as compared to 480 to 500 i was getting so im pretty damn happy.
(this is with a resistor in the temperature sender unit and thermo switch for the fan as the ecu normally controls this)with the egr valve blocked off no more noisey lifter cause this is what cloggs the backs of the valves causing the noisey lifters)
IF you would like pics or any more info im happy to let you know what i have done as this has caused me alot of anger in the past 2 yrs that i have owned the car.
Cheers Stu
stustunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:39 PM   #17
mega
AF Newbie

Hey Stu, what you have suggested is of interest to me. Though one has owned the car for a short duration, I'm sure your 2 years of pain and experience is something i'm not willing to endure myself. What do you feel has made the most significant improvement? I'm guessing the variable resistor....excuse my ignorance, but could you explain the function of the erg valve?
550km/tank seems a lot better than the 380 im getting at the moment.
Pics would be great, I'll try and send you my email address via the detail on your profile

Cheers
Dennis
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:51 AM   #18
Waatz
AF Newbie

Dont even think of using 91 oct petrol, it may sound a bit simple but I would go straight to the petrol station and full it up with 96+, GDi engines hate low octain.
If fuel consumption is your only problem consider yourself lucky, they have many many more problems than that. atleast yours is a runner.
Waatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:57 AM   #19
Waatz
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Fuel consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustunz
ok cause the car thinks its cold it doesnt use the lean burn like when you first strt the car on a cold morning its only once the car is warmed up it goes into the lean burn mode at between 2500 rpm and 3500 rpm from memory .Once the resistor is in place it runs slightly richer i found that the fuel usage actually went down slightly after this i guess cause the car just runs that bit smoother
one other thing is i have hose connected to the intake sucking a small amount of injector cleaner sucking into the intake in the hope it cleans the back of the valave seems to work stops some of the noisey tappets which is also caused by the carbon build up
if i could find where the egr valve was i would block that off aswell but as i dont have a manual i dont want to go pulling the whole engine apart as i need the car everyday i havent done that yet
so if you can send me the page of where that is i would be thankfull you are the first person i have found that has a manual i tried the jerks at the dealership here but cause my car was a used jap import they dont want to help me
How do you make it run richer when it has an 02 sensor? doesn't it just correct the mixture, maybe you are putting it into "fail safe" and it's just running in open loop, unplug the air-fow meter and see if it does the same
Old 08-31-2004, 03:19 AM   #20
Waatz
AF Newbie

REPLY TO ALL

Do you all realy think that the New Zealand dealerships/service agents should be able to repair a product they dont actualy sell? without manuals? simply because it has a the name Mitsubishi on it? Try buying a cellphone in Japan and then ask Telecom why it doesn't work here, you wont get it fixed, the will just tell you you have to buy a new one.
The GDi engine isn't a bad engine, we just dont have the fuel to run it correctly.

So who's to blame?

Government: For allowing the imports?
Importer: For importing?
Service Technician: Not knowing a forign product?
Oil Company's: For not supplying high quality fuel?
Owner: Buying the car?

CAVEAT EMPTOR
Old 09-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #21
in the piplines
AF Newbie

hey guys i thought it was just my car with these problems and it was really getting to me but now i know im not alone it makes me feel a bit beta bout it all. I hate my noisy lifters anyone know how to solve this? have only had the car a couple of weeks and i luv it but after reading these posts now im not to sure. Im gona try sum desiel oil as someone had sugested. Do u think an addidtive would help? Not sure where abouts u guys are from but im in palmy and can get 98octane from Bp here but someone had recomended caltex which would be beta 98 from bp or 96 from caltex? Any help would be great and as for that resistor and making the engine run lean/rich watever i think i leave it sounds a bit tech for me not to familiar with the motor yet.
in the piplines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:45 AM   #22
stustunz
AF Newbie

Hi all just a reply to what has been said

i have monitored the o2 sensor it does what it is meant to do the resistor just tells thecomputer the engine is still cold unplugging the airflow meter sends the car into limp mode as anyone would know
the resistor DOES NOT put car into limp mode
the o2 sensor swings back and fourth as it should do .2to .8volts or higher or lower depending on where and how you are driving

the car will run richer cause it thinks its cold and that is how they are programed to work instead of a choke in a carbi they run richer which is what choke does

Hey Waatz do you even know how these engines operate and did you own one or what problems are you talking about ?

By the way im just trying to work around a problem i and other people have so if anyone else knows how to change other setting on the ecu or airflow meter or any other sensors or solutions they have come up with let me know

Cheers Stu
stustunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:32 PM   #23
Ken2
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Ken2

Basically, If its buggered your stuffed.

When I got my 1.8L GDI, there were prettymuch all the problems mentioned here. Fortunatly because I got it from a dealer, I was able to take it back and make them fix it.

At least i [thought] they fixed it. The had it for about a month, then sent it to mitsubishi for another month.
Eventially I got it back and they had fixed the random stalling at idle and the car seemed to idle a little better.

Fuel economy was still crap.

Later I took it to my mechanic who got the EGR valve, manifold and injectors cleaned.
Ran a bit better, but still crap fuel economy.

Best economy I have had is 10KM/L (10L per 100KM)

I am following the same path as Stu... Making modifications and monitoring the fuel consumption and idle characteristics.

Im currently playing with the EGR and will see what that does to the fuel economy.

Hey Stu, did you block the EGR inlet, or disconnect the solinoids (or whatever they are) that control the flow to the manifold?

might as well ditch as much of the emissions crap as poss, then if there is an improvement work backwards to see whats screwing it up.
Ken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:36 PM   #24
Ken2
AF Newbie

Hey Nando, I would be REAL keen to get a look at that GDI repair manual...

Cheers,
Ken
Old 10-10-2004, 09:11 PM   #25
Jatz
AF Newbie

Legnum

Hi guys,

I am considering buying a Legnum in the next few weeks and this thread has certainly been very interesting to read.

Would you say that this car is good even though its a bit thirsty - would you get one again know what you do now?

Have you guys made any more progress on getting better fuel efficiency - I'm really interested on how you go.

I love the look of this car and want to get a 2.4L version.

Cheers,

Jatz
Jatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:03 AM   #26
Ken2
AF Newbie

Well, I blocked the EGR at the engine... Made a small plate out of aluminum and bolted it in place.

I also took the manifold to bits (well, as many bits as you can) and gave it a good water blasting to get rid of as much carbon build up as poss. Have run nearly 1/2 a tank through it, and reackon ill get to 400km on this tank.
1.8 GDI doing max 400km to 45-50L of gas... OUCH
I'll have better data when I have run a full tank through.

Jatz, if you can I would get a good test drive first. Then make up your own mind. See if you can get a demo for the night or something, then take it for a good long drive. I'm sure you wouldn't forget to thrash the hell out of it
I must say i'm also not that impressed with the tiptronic gearbox eithier, i'm definatly going manual when I get rid of this piece of crap.

I would avoid GDI if you can... Not worth the potential problems.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 10-11-2004, 04:44 AM   #27
Jatz
AF Newbie

Thanks Ken, I was thinking of getting a manual - lighter car, more fun and less to go wrong.
I wonder if the 2L or 2.5L non-GDI motors have the same fuel consumption probs as the GDI.
J
Jatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:29 AM   #28
Ken2
AF Newbie

I doubt it. You would just get a "standard" fuel consumption I suppose. Also depends on how you drive.
I guess with GDI you either get awsome fuel economy, or absolute crap. The potential savings on fuel is pretty impressive with GDI, but whats the point if you cant gaurentee you gonna get it?

I think i'll ditch my GDI and get a VR4. Then at least if I use heaps of gas its because im going fast. I wouldn't mind having crap fuel economy if the engine was powerful, but when you doing 8.5km/L round town in a 1.8 there is something seriously wrong.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:54 AM   #29
nick mann
AF Newbie

I don't know about the GDI.

The 2.5 V6 in standard and twin turbo form I do know.

The twin turbo needs high octane petrol, 97+, using 95 can drop power by about 40 bhp. This is an ecu issue - I don't know how, but it modifies the way the engine runs depending on the octane of the fuel it is using. This is an estate car which gives a lot of fun for the money. I used to get 200 miles on 45-50 litres.

The standard V6 is smooth and responsive. Good torque, reasonable power. I believe still a good car, but the handling is less sharp and the ride MUCH softer than the VR4. I currently get around 300 miles for 45-50 litres.

Incidentally, the INVECS II transmission was developed from a porsche box. Most people consider it to be a very good auto. (I had one - would rather have a manual!) Surely if it is that bad, then you should be wondering if you have a problem with that too? I am on my third Galant estate and I have had no technical issues apart from the now recalled ball joint problem.

Sorry this doesn't solve the GDI problems out there - maybe it will help restore some faith in the galant range, though!
nick mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #30
Ken2
AF Newbie

I must admit that my viewpoint on gearbox type is rather biased. I would rather just have a manual full stop. Im probably a control freak who needs to feel like he is telling the car what to do all the time.

It is all reall rather irrelivant to me now... I just traded the GDI and got a 2002 Legnum VR4 Manual

Had it a couple of days now, and HELL IM IMPRESSED. Gotta get me a radar detector though, else im gonna loose the 5 points (out of 100) I have left on my license. :P

Spent yesterday (4:30pm - 9:30pm) installing my sustec pro coilovers and my alarm system. Well, at least most of the alarm system... Enough to demobilise the car so its still there when I get outta work.

With the suspension in, the handling is VERY sharp. an amazing difference actually.

I guess ill have to measure the height to make sure its all legal.

How do you drive for that fuel economy? I don't expect my first few tanks of gas to last long, I keep hitting the gas to see how hard it pulls

300 miles for 50L is better mileage than my 1.8GDI! I used to to get maybe 250... And that was with NO power.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Legnum