Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Power steering fluid replacement, drain or flush ?

Since the power steering pump and reserve are difficult to reach I've never changed out the fluid. I noticed that it is very dark so I think I'll get motivated and try and replenish a part of the fluid. I am not too big on using the turkey baster as it doesn't get much fluid out and I tend to spill fluid which will drip on the belt.

1. I wonder if there might be a low pressure power steering hose that connects somewhere around the bottom radiator that might be easy to get off and allow most of the fluid to drain out? If anyone has any ideas on best way to get the fluid out I'd like to hear about them.

2. Also, I have read where it is OK, perhaps preferred now, to use ATF instead of power steering fluid as the replacement. That is what I'm planning on doing unless I learn otherwise.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:39 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Power steering fluid replacement, drain or flush ?

Power steering fluid and ATF are both types of hydraulic fluid. The difference is ATF has better lubricating properties. You can tell if you take a little bit of each type of fluid and rub it between your fingers. You can feel the difference; the power steering fluid feels feels thinner, almost kind of watery compared to ATF. The theory is that using ATF in the power steering system keeps the pump lubricated better and slows down the wear.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Some cars even call for ATF as the power steering fluid. ATF also has better cleaning properties.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7188382
I am not too big on using the turkey baster as it doesn't get much fluid out and I tend to spill fluid which will drip on the belt.

I wonder if there might be a low pressure power steering hose that connects somewhere around the bottom radiator that might be easy to get off and allow most of the fluid to drain out?
Anyone have any ideas where to locate a return power steering line that can accessed so that it can be disconnected to allow most of fluid to drain out ?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cressidaadr View Post
Anyone have any ideas where to locate a return power steering line that can accessed so that it can be disconnected to allow most of fluid to drain out ?
The return line can be disconnected down below the pump where the connection to the metal tubing begins. Take off the RF tire and you can see it, however I had to go under the van to get it off. My fluid was very dark so glad to have done this job.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture