Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

1998 PA Base Water Pump Replacement again

A couple years a go I replaced my water pump (1998 PA Base). It looks like it went out again. I can't remember but I thought I had to take the two nuts off the mount and jack the car up. I have three sets of instructions, none mention having to take the two nuts off the mount in the way and having to jack the motor up.

One set of instructions reminded me about the power steering pump in the way and I vaguely remember about putting the socket through the hole in the pulley (so glad I found that one because the other two didn't say anything about it).

One thread a person said he loosened the mount and lowered the motor (it wouldn't lower enough). I thought you raise the motor. A few Internet sites say you can raise the motor and don't have to loosen the other mounts. How is that possible?

Was it that you have to jack the motor up or just hold it in place with a jack since the motor mount is off?

All the instructions are contradictory. All make it sound so easy. Not sure why they leave out the hardest and key parts. None of the problems you encounter are even mentioned.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Drain the cooling system into a suitable container.
3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
4. Unfasten the four 8mm water pump pulley bolts, then remove the pulley.
5. Remove the four 3 / 8 in. bolts and four 1 / 2 in. bolts, then remove the water pump from the engine.
6. Remove and discard the gasket and thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces.

I had to figure out all the stuff while doing the job last time which made it a lot more work. I remember thinking after if I only knew this stuff before, it actually wouldn't of been that hard of a job.

Does anyone have reliable instructions or tips on a water pump replacement for a 1998 Park Avenue Base?

Thank you,
Chris.
Used 111,000 Motor, All New Gaskets
Used 102,000 Transmission - SOLD
New Balance 662
Trek 8000
happydog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue