Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
RootBeerBeard
AF Newbie

Exclamation Seeking Paint Help

Hi All,
Longtime reader but I’ve never really had a question or solution to post that hadn’t been covered…until tonight. I’m hoping you may be able to help.
My wife just got a steal on a little VW convertible. The body is mint and so is the paint. She just hates the color. I mean HATES hates. She’ll be gone on business for a couple weeks so I’d like to attempt a repaint. I’m a paint contractor by trade so I’m up to my ears in guns and abrasives. But I don’t need to tell you painting a car is a whole different ballgame than spraying cabinets or furniture or the exterior of a home.
After a lot of conflicting information, I’m still unsure of a few things.
As the paint is pristine, I believe I don’t have to worry about sanding to bare metal. Correct? I’ve been watching videos and reading webpages and it sounds like my best bet would be to sand the surface with 320 grit and call it good?I only have a 29 gallon compressor. I know this is waaaaay smaller than I SHOULD have for this project, but I don’t need a bigger one for any other purpose and I’m not planning to ever paint a car again. If I go in sections (taking care to keep a nice wet edge on each panel and avoid overspray falling on a drying surface) will the 29 gallon compressor suffice? Just for this one project? It’s a tiny little car (with no roof, obviously) so it’s not like I’m painting a Cadillac. There's a lot less real estate to cover. (Yes, planning on water traps since the compressor will likely be running full time during each spray.)The game plan I’ve had in my head looks like this (and I welcome all feedback/constructive criticism): clean with degreaser > sand all painted surfaces with 320 grit (orbital with interface pad) > vacuum/blow/tack/whatever else I need to do to get rid of any dust/debris > wipe down with denatured alcohol (?) > spray prime coat > sand with 600 > spray two coats of single stage paint > spray clearcoats > cut/buff/polish > surprise her in two weeks and strut around like a peacock as she tells everyone what a hero I am.

Please understand I’m not trying to achieve a showroom finish. This car isn’t headed to Mecum 2021. I just want it to look decent. Lastly, I’d love any input from folks that have done this or regularly do this. I’d love to hear your process and see photos. (And if I can answer any questions about residential painting, I’m more than happy to return the favor.)
Thanks so much for any help. I’m thrilled to have finally signed up!
RootBeerBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Seeking Paint Help

I've painted with a small compressor before and had no real issues. The compressor I used is an old one that my uncle gave to me to use and he used it to paint many, many cars himself.

When I painted my 3000GT earlier this year I made sure to do lots of research on gun settings and the like. I watched Paint Society on YouTube. Brian has many different videos showing different techniques and always notes his settings. One thing he notes, and I definitely figured out, was not all guns will act the same. Environments and even material change things too.

I helped my cousin paint his Civic in September. I let him do most of the spraying, as that is what he wanted, but he just wanted me there for support and to help trouble shoot, if so needed. The color went down great, but when it came time for the clear it wasn't spraying quite right, even using the settings I had used when I did mine. After making several adjustments and not getting any real changes in spray pattern I just modified how I sprayed to get the desired result. I showed him what I was doing, and let him take over.

I know I got a little wordy so to sum things up do plenty of research of make notes. When it comes to flash time set a timer. I know if I don't set a timer one of two things happen, I try to go back too soon to spray the next coat, or I may wait too long. Have patience. When I was helping my cousin paint his car I had to kick him more than once for moving too fast, or moving the gun too far away from the surface. For clear coat it always is going to look "rough" as it is first sprayed, then it flows out.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
RootBeerBeard
AF Newbie

Thanks so much! I've been binge watching Paint Society videos all day. Haha! Do you have any insight into the sanding?
Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #4
jeffmorris
AF Regular

Watch "Truck Tech" TV show. The men in the show have tips on painting vehicles.
jeffmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
RootBeerBeard
AF Newbie

Thanks
Old 12-27-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Prep Prep Prep.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
RootBeerBeard
AF Newbie

Yep, that's the motto of my trade! ��
Old 12-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeerBeard View Post
Thanks so much! I've been binge watching Paint Society videos all day. Haha! Do you have any insight into the sanding?
Thanks again!
For the sanding all I can say is it depends. 320 over a good factory base should suffice but you just have to kind of play it by ear. When I did the 3000 I started with 220 then 320 then wet sanded with 500. I was working with a not so great paint job over factory paint as my base(s) though.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
Carfan32
AF Newbie

What kind of Cadillac?
Carfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #10
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfan32 View Post
What kind of Cadillac?
Did you read the post? He said it's NOT like he's painting a Cadillac.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General