Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #16
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
my point is, they all go on about how the re-instatement of a live axle was primarily because customers wanted it.
whilst this is probably true (which probably says a lot about mustang drivers...) i'm pretty sure Ford jumped at the chance to be able to sell a car that would cost less to make for pretty much the same as the one that cost more to make.

Yep and a sweet job they did.
Filthy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #17
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox

Quote:
my point is, they all go on about how the re-instatement of a live axle was primarily because customers wanted it.
whilst this is probably true (which probably says a lot about mustang drivers...) i'm pretty sure Ford jumped at the chance to be able to sell a car that would cost less to make for pretty much the same as the one that cost more to make.
As good handling and MUCH better launching. They were talking about offering an option, live or IRS, but my guess is the IRS didn't have any advantage handling wise(besides over bumpy pavement), and the solid certainly had the advantage at the strip. Why would anyone want the IRS? That was always a big turn-off for me for the past few cobras.
It looks like a very nice car and I think it'll suprise a few people.
duplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:19 PM   #18
broddie50
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

Even with the live axle, I think the car will handle very well for being close to 4000 pounds. Car and Driver estimated it to pulling .94 g when it hits the streets. We won't know for sure until someone actually tests one, but I feel that number will be accurate. So not only will this "rustang" ass rape just about everything thats thrown at it acceleration wise, the ole "but I'd smoke you in the twistys yo" counter by ricers is going to be put to bed. And if it takes to mods as well as the 03+ Cobras, oh boy...
broddie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:32 AM   #19
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

not gonna happen.
a magazine tested the 05 stang GT vs 05 RSX type S vs 05 miata turbo vs one other car which i forgot
the mustang was hands down the worst handling car there. and .94G? ill believe it when i see it

independent suspension has absolutely no downside to it. the only reason that drag cars dont use it is because they dont need it! they dont need to handle well driving straight all the time, and so they just put the cheapest most direct system on their car

the cobra had independent suspension because ford realized that some people were going to use it for racing besides drag. thats all.
but still the 00 cobra was tested vs a 03 lotus elise with a 200hp 1.8L honda vtec motor(bone stock)
and the elise SPANKED the cobra in handling, braking, and 1/4 mile.
and this was with IRS. live axle will be WORSE.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:39 AM   #20
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways...
not gonna happen.
a magazine tested the 05 stang GT vs 05 RSX type S vs 05 miata turbo vs one other car which i forgot
the mustang was hands down the worst handling car there. and .94G? ill believe it when i see it

independent suspension has absolutely no downside to it. the only reason that drag cars dont use it is because they dont need it! they dont need to handle well driving straight all the time, and so they just put the cheapest most direct system on their car

the cobra had independent suspension because ford realized that some people were going to use it for racing besides drag. thats all.
but still the 00 cobra was tested vs a 03 lotus elise with a 200hp 1.8L honda vtec motor(bone stock)
and this was with IRS. live axle will be WORSE.

Saw that article and it didn't really spank it though it did win. Pretty cool a carbon fiber car the Elise is sweet. I disagree however on drag racing solid axle is better as IRS has u joints and a solid axle is not only better for launch but much tougher. I would like to see a version with IRS for track though like I said above. This Mustang as well will be alot faster than the Cobra R as well. It will kick ass on most cars out there today.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #21
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

elise isn't a carbon fibre car.
it's 'plastic' on an aluminium tub.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:58 PM   #22
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
elise isn't a carbon fibre car.
it's 'plastic' on an aluminium tub.

Ehh, either way still lightwieght and pretty sweet.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #23
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
not gonna happen.
the mustang was hands down the worst handling car there. and .94G?
What magazine is this? Car and Driver and Motortrend have talked about how well the Mustang handles for a live axel.

Quote:
independent suspension has absolutely no downside to it.
Can't handle the power like a live rear axel. If you want an IRS to handle tons of power without breaking you're going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars.

Quote:
the only reason that drag cars dont use it is because they dont need it! they dont need to handle well driving straight all the time, and so they just put the cheapest most direct system on their car
Wrong again. IRS weighs more, can't handle as much power, and is useless for drags. In drags weight is the name of the game and why would I put a heavier rear end in my car if it can't handle the power of a lighter rear end?

IRS is good for all around driving but if you like to go fast in a straight line, it sucks. If you want a state of the art IRS I hope money grows out of your ass.

Quote:
Uh huh.

Quote:
There was no '00 Cobra except for the Cobra R. If that was the case it doesn't matter for handling because everything else would of been a joke.

Quote:
and this was with IRS.
Handling yes and braking but in the 1/4 there's no way in hell if it was the R. If it was a normal '99 though they would of been near the same.

Quote:
live axle will be WORSE.
I promise you if the '03/'04 Cobra had a live axle it's 1/4 would of been lower. Why? IRS can't get the power to the ground as well.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #24
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletang
What magazine is this? Car and Driver and Motortrend have talked about how well the Mustang handles for a live axel.

Can't handle the power like a live rear axel. If you want an IRS to handle tons of power without breaking you're going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars.

Wrong again. IRS weighs more, can't handle as much power, and is useless for drags. In drags weight is the name of the game and why would I put a heavier rear end in my car if it can't handle the power of a lighter rear end?

IRS is good for all around driving but if you like to go fast in a straight line, it sucks. If you want a state of the art IRS I hope money grows out of your ass.

Uh huh.

There was no '00 Cobra except for the Cobra R. If that was the case it doesn't matter for handling because everything else would of been a joke.

Handling yes and braking but in the 1/4 there's no way in hell if it was the R. If it was a normal '99 though they would of been near the same.

I promise you if the '03/'04 Cobra had a live axle it's 1/4 would of been lower. Why? IRS can't get the power to the ground as well.

It was an import car magazine. My buddy had a copy of it.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #25
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez
It was an import car magazine.
That surprises me

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #26
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:
not gonna happen.
A Mazda Miata is a sports car.

The new Mustang has won four out of the first six races in Grand-Am Cup against Nissan 350Zs, BMW M3s, and Porsche 911s.

http://www.grandamerican.com/
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #27
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Yeah I heard about the the FR500C winning those races and the new cobra has the same rear end setup as the FR500C. I fail to see how handling will be an issue with this car. What was that about the IRS having no downside? There were tons of people with the 03-04 cobras that put the solid rear end back in because the power they were putting down was breaking the halfshafts. Also the drivetrain isn't the only difference between this car and the GT. The whole interior on the Cobra is leather, that includes the seats console dash and doors from what I have read.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #28
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
sport compact car

Quote:
maybe but a stock cobra? 385 hp 385 ftlb wont break anything

Quote:
sure

Quote:
sorry but i like using my steering wheel

Quote:
it was a cobra R
and it was the best handling mustang ever made up to that point

Quote:
it beat the cobra R by a good .5 sec in 1/4
btw the elise ran i think 12.8? i left the mag at my gf's apt so i cant check it yet

Quote:
not .5 sec lower

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #29
broddie50
AF Enthusiast

Not a chance pulling .94 huh? Well since Car and Driver have been testing cars for what I don't know 50 YEARS, I think they would have a pretty good feel on what the car would do on the skid... Your right slide, we won't really know until it's been put on a track, but with those big , wide tires, I think it will be easily attainable. And by the way, you compared the miata and what and something else and something else I don't remember to a STOCK 05 GT. Well that is fine and good. The plain and simple truth is, the GT500 is going to handle very well for being such a heavy car. And with 450 hp (trust me, underated) I don't think .02 on the skidpad is going to matter much in the overall scheme of things. But hey, you just got to love the RSX interior though...
broddie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 PM   #30
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox

Quote:
not .5 sec lower
I really wouldn't be suprised. You ever seen one of those IRS cobras launch(well, try to launch) without suspension mods? those things squat and lean like crazy. So you have to go easy on the launch and possibly have to lift to keep it goin straight, .5 seconds isn't that crazy. People have gained significant numbers just by tweaking the suspension, let alone swapping an axle.

Also the lotus elise is basically a race car. The cobra is not. The cobra has a lot of power, yes, but it still has an interior, AC, power steering, comfy adjustable seats, radio, sound system, etc. Elises are bare bones stripped(I don't think they even have a radio), they're all aluminum and fiberglass/CF, and they cost $10k more than a '03 cobra. Personally, even if the cobra was .5 sec slower, I'd much rather have the cobra.

Also the 05(or 07 GT500 for that matter) is an entirely different chassis, the lincoln LS chassis. So comparisons to any other cobra are pointless.
duplox is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General