Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > M-Class
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:48 AM   #16
talonlover
AF Regular

Re: Does anybody else HATE their ML?

A big repair bill is never wanted on any automobile. I threw a 2k price because after being a service manager for years on these cars trust me...it's not uncommon. All I'm saying is that I see people buy a Mercedes who really should not be buying a expensive elaborate car like that. Some people try to live outside of their means. Why I don't know, if it's ego by being the person on the block with the nicest car, or if they just want a nice car for their family. It doesn't matter, a Mercedes is not built for people on a small budget. Repairs are more, parts are more, the price of owning a MB is more, it's just a fact....at least it was until about ten years ago.

Back in the day a Mercedes was built for a lifetime. A few decades ago, you bought one, then it would be the last car you would have to buy. Of course back then people kept cars at least 5-10 years before trading them. Now MB has caught on to the trend. That trend(for most people) is to always want a new car. Doesn't matter if their old one is in perfect shape, they want to keep up with the Johnsons. They want the newest gadgets, the sleekest designs, so what if they can't afford it, the monthly payment is low! So MB is just staying alive and they are lowering the costs of their machines to remain competitive, after all nobody keeps a new car 10 years anymore. However, lowering the costs of their peoducts means in order to keep profits up, quality goes down. Mercedes job is not to make the best cars...it's to make money. Making the best cars used to mean that money would come, but not anymore, making disposable/cheaper cars does.

Mercedes is still a fine automobile, but nothing like it used to be. It is still a bit more pricey with the exception of the entry level cars(base c class, a class, and even the M class)...but these are still more to own. 30k is no entry level car! a entry level MB yes, but not an entry level car.

Here is what happens: someone buys a M-class, they don't take care of it because they know they are trading it in a few years. They trade it, someone else buys it, has problems, and that person bad mouths Mercedes. Or my favorite, they buy a used sl-600 on e-bay for 10k less than book then I have to tell them they need 7k in repairs. Mercedes does not have bad cars..only bad owners.

Last edited by talonlover; 02-28-2005 at 02:56 PM.
talonlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #17
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gti1689
talonlover, that was an excellent post. I hadn't considered that view in relation to Mercedes reliability, but if it comes from the mouth a Mercedes technician I belive it.

I also agree with you about current Mercedes models not having the same longevity as those built 15+ years ago.

Just one of the pretty engines in the stable.
gti1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #18
porscheguy9999
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to porscheguy9999
Very good. That is almost exactly the point I am trying to make. The quality is not the best, and they need to stay competitive. And yes, 30K is NOT an entry level car.

Thanks to Nicecar!

Got a Facebook? Join the AF group!
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213949483&ref=mf
porscheguy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #19
explorerguy30
AF Newbie

My girlfriend and I have a 1999 ML 430. The V-8 before it went to the 500. It has been the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my life!! Whenever we take it through the car wash, something falls off. One time the turn signal on the fender fell out (thats before they were putting them on the mirrors) The last time the L fell off the back so we were driving a m 430. Mercedes Charged us for all the letters when we took it in for repairs because you can't buy just the L. The lights inside the dash have also gone out. The power windows need fixed about every 6 months. (we can almost mark our calanders by it). At 99,000 miles the transmission went out and we have never taken it off road or towed anything. Thank god for extended warranties because the repair bill for that was a whopping $9,000 dollars. luckily we didn't have to pay a dime or I think I would have torched the piece of crap. We have put more money in repairs in that car in 1 year than in all 6 years I've had my Ford Explorer. I will never own another ML again.
explorerguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #20
blindside.AMG
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to blindside.AMG

^^^
It's ashame. Too bad you'll never get to experience the new ML. It's a great vehicle.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #21
explorerguy30
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Does anybody else HATE their ML?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside.AMG
^^^
It's ashame. Too bad you'll never get to experience the new ML. It's a great vehicle.
I still like Mercedes vehicles and they have the ability to turn my head when I'm driving more than any other car however for the price I dont expect emblems and turn signals to be falling off. That kind of stuff I would expect out of a Hyndai or a kia. Maybe in the future, i'll just stick to the ones manufactured and assembled over seas which I think are all of them except or the ML. Is this still correct?
explorerguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #22
blindside.AMG
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to blindside.AMG
Re: Re: Re: Does anybody else HATE their ML?

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerguy30
i'll just stick to the ones manufactured and assembled over seas which I think are all of them except or the ML. Is this still correct?
At the moment, yes, that is still correct. But the facility in Alabama will soon be assembling the new R-class (based off the ML chassis) and the newest version of the G-wagen.

I was recently sent to training for the new ML. The instructors at the class visited the Alabama assembly plant and said it has been completely reworked with quality being their #1 concern. So far the new ML launch has been going great. Only time will tell if they hold up for years to come.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #23
edMERCAMG
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anybody else HATE their ML?

Hi there

Regarding the new ML like u said its a great car yet we have had two here that allready have had there engine SW replaced due to it cutting out while driving ( 1000 km on the clock)

for the rest no problems yet and great to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside.AMG
At the moment, yes, that is still correct. But the facility in Alabama will soon be assembling the new R-class (based off the ML chassis) and the newest version of the G-wagen.

I was recently sent to training for the new ML. The instructors at the class visited the Alabama assembly plant and said it has been completely reworked with quality being their #1 concern. So far the new ML launch has been going great. Only time will tell if they hold up for years to come.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #24
Dizzman
AF Newbie

As i was the one who started this thread, i want to clarify something.

While i still do like the look of many of the MB vehicles, and i recognize that they are a well respected brand and make many fine cars, my issue was that i grew to hate mine (still do) due to the way that MB dealt with it. I was told (basically ) to go to hell, and they would just keep fixing it and then when the warranty expired, i could pay for these stupid repairs. SO here i am with a car that i am afraid to drive lest something go wrong. it literally sits in the garage collecting dust while i drive (and enjoy) my new saturn.

The car is not the issue, it is the attitude of the car company.
Dizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #25
Dizzman
AF Newbie

OH yeah... and Talon lover, it was a new freakin car! The problems were from the get go.

So do not lay your BS of "Mercedes does not have bad cars..only bad owners." That is such a load of crap
Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #26
talonlover
AF Regular

Then get rid of your piece of crap and stop bitching about it. I have had lemons too but instead of crying to some car board I got rid of it and got on with my life.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #27
Dizzman
AF Newbie

That is what i was attempting to do when i first started this thread. looking for others with similar issues. Unfortunately (for me) MB will not take it back.

Sucks for me. THere was no firther whining other than answering the initial questions.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #28
neveragain.
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Does anybody else HATE their ML?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman
That is what i was attempting to do when i first started this thread. looking for others with similar issues. Unfortunately (for me) MB will not take it back.

Sucks for me. THere was no firther whining other than answering the initial questions.
DIZ---Same experience here......Oh they will tell you "this has NEVER happened before (like the console with me) but it has and found another forum to verify all problems I had.....always piddly ones....but take up time and they give you some junky NEO/GEO/METRO tuna can as a rental....oh yeah that was what I paid 40K to get!! I figured out my car was in the shop an average of once every six weeks for the first 50,000 miles!!! all the things you talked about and more.....but always small, and never quite enough to reach lemon status....

YOUR FEELINGS ARE JUSTIFIED!!!! DON'T LET ANY OF THE MB BOZOS TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!!

Found you because just saw the trim on the back corner (a type of glass piece that wraps the corner next to the back hatch/window) has a horizontal crack and the dealer wants $250 for the part, not including installing it....!!! Couldn't find one online so its off to the auto dismantling yard, or just buy a tube of silicone....I so don't care about the car anymore....and I will not line the dealers pockets anymore....!!!!
neveragain. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #29
neveragain.
AF Newbie

p.s. have the extended warranty.....trim not covered, of course....nickel and dime, nickel and dime, baby....it all adds up.....
neveragain. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #30
talonlover
AF Regular

Your dealer is ripping you, that part I know well. I have replaced several of them because of people backing into stuff. It costs about 70.00 and you can put it on yourself. It sticks on with high strength tape, the hard part is getting the old one off.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > M-Class