Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
lowlight
AF Newbie

Exclamation WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stock wheels cracking!!!!!!!!!

i have a 2000 SE 4x4 with the polished alloy wheels. two of the wheels have developed cracks in the spokes. one of the wheels has a crack all the way through the spoke while the other one has a crack on two of the spokes.

my X is out of warrenty but the dealer contacted Nissan and they said they would replace the wheels free of charge.

so if you have a 2000 X with alloy wheels check them NOW and check them often!

on a side note the dealership is the worst in the world at ordering parts. before christmas they ordered the wheels and said it would be 5-7 days. wheel over two weeks later they say the wheels are in. so i go down today to get the new wheels, guess what!?!?!?! they only got one wheel in. now guess what!?!?!?!?!? it was a pathfinder wheel!!!! so they have to order the wheels again.

reguardless, check your wheels and check them often.
Stock for now.....
lowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Old News.......but relevant!

That is old news actually. The first year trucks had wheels that were defective. It has been a long time since the problem has resurfaced. Thanks for bringing it back! The people buying useed 2000 should be aware of this!!!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
lowlight
AF Newbie

really?!?!?!?!

no kidding..... i had been lurking here for a while and not read anything about it.

just reminds me of the scene in fit club where Ed Norton is eplaining how an auto manufactor decides when to do a recall. kind of scary actually....

what did you hear about the other 2000 X's? any guess on numbers? did they get just the craked wheels replaced or all 4?
Stock for now.....
Old 01-08-2003, 10:14 PM   #4
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Surprisingly, this doesn't ring any bells with me. I recall one person reporting one of his wheels had cracked, but I don't recall it being noted as a common problem.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:07 AM   #5
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

I don't remember it ever being a common problem either and I've been hanging out in Xterra lala land for far too long. maybe Rrdstarr has access to some secret board? :finger: Well, with all the Xterras out there I'd hardly call it a big problem. Glad Nissan is replacing them.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:12 AM   #6
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

I first heard about the problem on this board (I think) in a debate with Schlud over the virtues of steel vs. aluminum wheels offroad. I don't know how common it is. I have two sets of stock aluminum 15" wheels and haven't notice any cracks. I have 86,000 miles on my original wheels (not-polished). I just bought the second set (polished) used and looked over them pretty closely.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 12:28 PM   #7
Utildayael
AF Newbie

I recall a thread on it quite some time ago, but that was about it.
Utildayael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:06 PM   #8
lowlight
AF Newbie

call back from dealer...

i got a call from the dealer who replaced my wheels the other day. he said that Nissan Investigative Department called and told him to replace my other two wheels as well. evidently the reason given was that they wanted to examine the other wheels as well. i thought that was interesting.

now i'm waiting for two more wheels to come in and replace the two remaining stock wheels.

wonder if this could be a recall in the making?
Stock for now.....
Old 01-21-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Shouldn't affect me as I have Pathy alloy's and steel stockers. Interesting about them wanting your other wheels. Count it as a blessing. Brand new wheels for you!! If you hear anything else I would be interested in what happens.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #10
mub996
AF Newbie

isuzu 4x4 alloy

Hi my name is Scot Greer

I contacted you about a problem with a wheel on my Isuzu Trooper Citation SWB

the problem started as I was driving home from Edinburgh. I was driving and my girlfriend was in the passenger seat. The car had no-one else in the car, and was not carrying any other weight apart from her and myself.

we had just came of a busy dual carriage way where we had been travelling at 70mph, thank god it didn't happen here. We had just came off the carriage way and 200 yards from the junction we travelled on to the roundabout at around 20 mph. we were turning, when the car dropped to the one side and I was unable to steer the car round the roundabout...After scraping the road it came to a halt. We both sat as the wheel rolled passed the front of the car. After a few seconds my girlfriend got out of the car and headed to where the wheel was. A car which was behind us also stopped. I have to admit at first I thought the wheel had come loose and fallen off, until I saw the outer of the wheel ......I then looked at the hub and saw the inner part still attached. After changing the wheel I reluctantly drove home some 5 miles away at under 20 mph for fearing something similar.

The next day I contacted the main Isuzu dealer down south the told me to go to the local dealer in Perth. Everyone I spoke to on the phone about the wheel, i.e.. insurance (Admiral) and Isuzu themselves all thought the tyre had come of the wheel. After travelling up to Perth with the wheel in a borrowed van from a friend on the Tuesday. The dealer Chris was totally shocked. He actually stood there for about a minute saying he couldn't believe what he was seeing. We took the wheel inside and he asked to keep it. I refused to allow this as the insurance company was sending an engineer out to see the wheel as the had reservations about a wheel falling apart like how I had said. I came back home after the dealer had taken digital photographs of the wheel. I agreed initially to giving the wheel to the dealer so the could find out what had happened to it. I also asked at the time was the car safe to drive as me and my girlfriend wassent sure now it was. i told them how my car was still sitting outside my house as we had concern about the reliability and safety of the car. Chris contacted me about 3 times on the Tuesday night about getting this wheel and how they now needed the wheel nuts as well. He explained to me that the photographs which he had taken had gone straight to Isuzu UK who had been so concerned with what they were seeing sent the pictures straight to japan for the technical guys ther to have a look. They instructed Isuzu UK to get that wheel. I was also told that plans had already been made to ship it to japan for testing...

Wedensday came and Chris was back on the phone about the wheel twice before 3pm. Each time I told him that the wheel was staying till the insurance company engineer had seen it. The engineer came and advised that in his report to admiral that he was putting the wheel down to wheel defect in the casting and that in 22 years of accident inspection, he had never seen anything like it before. He told how Admiral probably wouldn't pay out. I contacted admiral 8-9 times that day, very concerned that not only was this going to cost me my £310 excess on my insurance but would now cost the whole cost of fixing my car. I was then told to go back to Isuzu and tell them of the indecision of the insurance company. their reaction was "when can we get the wheel". I explained again that I still didn't feel my car was safe and reliable and asked Isuzu as about this again. I was again and again told that they were deeply concerned about both mine and my girlfriends safety. however they were not prepared to do anything at the moment until they had the wheel. I explained again that we had no other means of transport and asked if they could help out. after all the accident wouldn't have happened if the wheel hadn't split....they told me they would talk about it, after they had the wheel. I told them that as far as I was concerned I just wanted my car back on the road safe and reliable and asked them to help put it this way at least till they had inspected the wheel. Once again I was told this was not a priority but getting the wheel was. this seemed strange that they kept saying that they were so concerned with my safety yet would do nothing to help ease my mind. At no time up till now had I been offered a replacement set of wheels on loan, a undercarriage inspection, or a replacement car, till this was sorted.......I was however offered a set of wheelnuts for the replacement of mine, how good of them eh

Thursday came and my car had been sitting at the door since Sunday night. I called a guy called Steven Gillhead, the customer service manager at Isuzu UK he told me that there was nothing he could do till I gave them the wheel.......arggghhh.
He told me that I was to put on paper what was it I wanted and when by, in order for him to pass it on so that they could get the wheel. I wrote an email (attached steve.doc) I called back to make sure it had arrived and asked to be passed on to the person it had been giving to.......after a while of waiting I was told they would call me back......I waited, and waited. Eventually I called them back. I asked to speak to the man at the head of the tree of Isuzu UK, who I had been told was Mr Ed Swapman, He wisent there so I asked to speak to the next in charge....Mr Burton. I didn't get to speak to him but was them told someone would call me back. I told MR Burtons assistant that if I didn't get some kind of result today that I would have no alternative but to contact Japan myself Monday morning ......within 2mins I was then called back by a Mr Phil Evans (the General Manager of Isuzu UK) I explained the situation to him and told him that despite what I was being told I and my girlfriend both felt Isuzu were being unhelpful I also told him again and again that all I wanted was my car to be returned to a safe manor. I asked him if he could authorize an inspection of my car and a replacement set of wheels until even the wheel had been inspected. He refused saying that he could do nothing until he could get this wheel back, and told me that I had been offered help with the offer of replacement wheelnuts. I told him there wisent much need for wheelnuts when I didn't have a wheel to use them on. He also said put yourself in Isuzu situation, if I give you 4 wheels and an inspection which would insure the cars safety, would I then pay for these, if the wheel was then found to be damaged in an accident and not by a casting defect. I told him that if Isuzu were so concerned with the safety of the car, he wouldn't have asked that to this he replied well if we cant have the wheel then we cant help you. He then said that obviously we were only wasting each others time and that he felt this conversation was over. I told him that as far as I was concerned the matter wasent over and would take other matters.....to which I was told that is entirely up to you, goodbye, and hung up.

Many people have giving their opinion that i should contact a lawyer as this could have been fatal if it had happened on the motorway or dualcarrageway. i myself however at this stage only want my car returned to its safe and reliable self. what do you think?

Thanks for listening
scot greer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0006.jpg (57.6 KB, 270 views)
mub996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:29 AM   #11
boodie
AF Regular

Re: isuzu 4x4 alloy

Quote:
Originally posted by mub996
what do you think?
I think the money spent having a solicitor listen to your tale and doing some checkup on it would be well spent.

I would not let any of those wheels out of my possession. Until your solicitor can have an independent materials testing firm render an opinion, in writing, that could be used in a court of law.

Lawyers here in the USA would probably take this on contingency. In fact, it might already have been given some class-action examination.

Their desire to get physical possession of the wheel smells. I hope you have a copy of the police report. (You did file a report, yes?)

I was part of a class-action lawsuit against American Honda Motor Co back in the 70's. It does take years to settle. And by the time they do settle, prices of the affected items has dropped considerably.

I wish you luck, but it looks like you're getting the shaft.
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:17 PM   #12
road king
AF Newbie

cracked wheels

My 2000 X has 3 cracked wheels which the dealer and nissan corp. wont fix.I still have the oem. tires on these wheels. Wheels just dont crack for no reason.Can anyone give me a dealer name @ phone # thats helped a customer with this problem or any suggestions.
road king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:22 AM   #13
hobbes69
AF Regular

Call Nissan customer support. I've never had to do it, but many people on the forums have had good results.
hobbes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:01 PM   #14
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Well, add me to the list. While changing my wheels/tires back to the street setup I found a crack in one of my wheels. Same place others have found cracks. Wheel is 2000 15" standard XE, not the machined SE version.

I check them everytime I change over or rotate so this crack hasn't been there long but is already about an inch in length.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #15
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

I haven't been to this board in a while. Has there been any more news on this issue? I have a wheel that is cracked in three places. I thought for sure this problem would have resulted in a recall by now. However, when I did a Yahoo search all I got was this thread, which is where I heard about this problem in the first place a couple of years ago!
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail