Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > ES300/ES330/Windom
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
ScottNM
AF Newbie

Exclamation ES300 Check Engine Warning Light

I have a 2000 Lexus ES300 that I just recently bought. The car has 67,000 miles on it. We live in New Mexico, but we are currently visiting family in Southern California. Yesterday while driving down a steep grade with several sharp curves the "Engine Malfunction" and "Trac Off" warning lights came on at the same time and stayed on. I thought that it might be a false warning so a disconnected and reconnected the battery. The warning lights are now both off. Has anyone experienced this situation? Do you think I still need to have the codes read a Lexus Dealer or is the fact that the warning lights have stayed off proof that it was a false warning?

Thanks in advance for any help. We are concerned and far from home.
.......Scott
ScottNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
tomjane
AF Newbie

Re: ES300 Check Engine Warning Light

I have been having similar experiences with my ES300. Two months ago the check engine/trac off lights came on. The dealer replaced the "mass engine flow sensor" and the light went off. One week later the light was back. This time the code showed a defective coil which was replaced. Light went out. Today the light came back on again. The car runs fine. Not sure what to do.
tomjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
Joe W
AF Enthusiast

You still need the codes read as they are still stored in the computer.Autozone will usually do this for free.Disconnecting the battery on anything "97 or newer will not reset the codes.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
cas951
AF Newbie

Scott,
I have the same problem. After you disconnected the battery did the lights come back on after awhile?
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
Chapol
AF Newbie

Same lights came on in my '99, 54,000 mile ES300 recently. I called the dealer, who said it is possibly either the oxygen sensors (I have this happen on my '90 Camry) or I didn't tighten the gas cap enough. If that is the case, the lights should reset after a number of starts. He claimed it was ok to drive the car. Don't know if this helps or not.
Chapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
preetham
AF Newbie

Hi All,
Even I have the same problem.I did take it to Autozone,it showed Oxygen sensor issue.Changed three sensors(thats what my mechanic told me) only one left it rear one.
Drove the car for 900 miles and it came back.(both Check engine and track off).What to do now.Is there any solution for this.My car is a 2000 model and has 77000 miles on it.
Please HELP ME!!!!!
preetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
jagiffen
AF Newbie

I have a 99 Es300. CE & Trak off lights came on . codes said coil. replaced engine coil and light went out then came back on this time says faulty speed sensor and O2 sensor warning. This has been going on and off for months. when lights on RPM are high and tranny shifts back and forth from gear to gear while driving at same speed. then sometimes lights just go out and everything is fine then they come back on. Giff
jagiffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
jdmccright
The RustBuster

My guess is the O2 sensors and coil are not related to your problem. You need to check the level and condition of the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid. IF they are low and looks brown or smells burned, it needs to be changed along with the filter. When the pan is pulled, look at the magnet on the pan to see any large metallic particles...a grey sludge all over it is normal. The PCM may be sensing a problem with the transmission and thus is disabling the traction control to prevent damage caused by the jerking motion.

I would not recommmend a fluid flush. Drain, remove the pan to replace the filter and clean the magnet, and refill. Have the local parts store clear the codes. Drive 100-200 miles, then drain & fill again (no need to remove the pan). If the condition is still present, then read the codes and post back. Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
upndair767
AF Newbie

1996 ES 300 - Original owner -115,985 miles and runs great. I hosed down a cold engine with cold high pressure water hose to clean off engine compartment. A few days later the Amber "Check Engine" light illuminated while on the freeway. We don't have the "Trac Off" Light. What is that? There are no transmission issues. Everything runs great.

I hosed down a cold engine again with high pressure cold water. Reason. Make it fail so it can be found. Light stayed on, no transmission issues.

After a few days and about 50 miles the light went away. After about a week the light came back on again at engine start. Transmission and all work great. Smooth shifting and no sign of trouble. I Checked gas cap and it looks clean and appears to seal nicely.

I'm thinking I got water up into a switch or sensor somewhere. Maybe it will dry out and go away again.

I Will have dealer read the computer soon.

Last edited by upndair767; 10-18-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Better
upndair767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
GS92807
AF Newbie

2000 Lexus ES300 with 155000 miles - CHECK ENGINE and TRAC OFF lights ON - CODES P1130 and P0330. Vehicle would NOT shift into overdrive (3rd shift of transmission during acceleration). Sometimes systems would reset after shutting OFF engine or deceleration in traffic, but overall the problem persisted. Purchased an Autel MaxiScan MS310 OBDII/EOBD Code Reader on Amazon (Prime) for 25.50. Codes read P1130 which translates to AIR/FUEL SENSOR. Not sure which Bank or Circuit. Also KNOCK SENSOR BANK 2, CIRCUIT BANK 2 (P330). I attempted to R&R the AIR/FUEL SENSOR myself located at the rear of the engine forward of the firewall. All forums described this as difficult to reach. I used the TEKTON 4929 3/8-Inch Drive by 7/8-Inch Oxygen Sensor Socket purchased on Amazon (Prime) for 9.51. The Sensor was difficult to reach and I couldn't get the leverage needed. Decided to seek professional help at a local independent shop because dealers are a ripoff. Case in point: One ES300 owner took his vehicle to the dealer and spent 1200.00 replacing the O2 Sensor and the problem was not fixed. My shop too had problems removing the sensor (stuck). Had to remove the exhaust manifold to get the needed leverage. Turns out the threads were stripped. Vehicle taken to the exhaust shop for this procedure and re tapping. Vehicle transfer was done by my independent shop. I was entirely hands off. The Air/Fuel Sensor was R&R'd. However, the problem was not fixed so shop proceeded to R&R the KNOCK SENSOR BANK 2 (under the forward intake manifold). Saw a YouTube video of a guy doing this in his garage - made it look easy, but the intake manifold was already off. I had a Valve Gasket leak so the shop R&R'd the Valve Cover Gasket at the same time (virtually cost neutral). Vehicle was in the shop one week and test drove by the mechanic after work complete. ALL good. However, when I left the shop I drove home and was disappointed to see the CHECK ENGINE and TRAC OFF lights illuminate on the second segment of my freeway drive. The ABS light also illuminated. I drove several more segments exiting the freeway, stopping, and starting again. On one occasion the vehicle did not shift into overdrive (3rd shift of transmission during acceleration). Subsequent evaluation showed only Code KNOCK SENSOR BANK 2, CIRCUIT BANK 2 (P330). The CHECK ENGINE and TRAC OFF light presented several more times during the first 80 miles of driving after maintenance, during which overdrive failed once (as described). Vehicle now has 250 miles since maintenance with NO SUBSEQUENT ISSUES or abnormal light indications. Perhaps the engine had to adjust to the new sensors. ALL good for now while cautiously keeping my fingers crossed. Happy with the final bill considering the work that was done. 1107.00
GS92807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #11
Larryrneal
AF Newbie

For the third time my check engine light and traction control light are on. The first two times it was a $50 repair for a new module. This time, with a new mechanic (the old one retired), I was told it would be $400 because the air flow sensor/ecm was bad. Also, my dash remote trunk latch won't work.
The car runs just like it has for the past 16 years, so should I spend the $400 or just keep running it?
Larryrneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #12
jdmccright
The RustBuster

This post began 13 years ago and the latest post was 3 yrs ago. I suggest you start a new post to reach a wider audience. Also, if you can, include the trouble codes stored in your car's ECM. Your issues may or may not be related.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > ES300/ES330/Windom