Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
canadian eh
AF Newbie

Angry burning oil

Hey! I have a '99 ram 1500, 4x4 , with 360. Any way just started burning alot of oil, about a quart and a half every time I fill up. What would be causing this. It has about 45000 miles on it, and runs good has lots of power. Also when the motor is working hard at a lower rpm, about 2000-2700 it makes a bad ratling sound. But I can't find any thing loose.

I need help
canadian eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
mxracer111
AF Newbie

what grade fuel are you running, my 98 1500 ram makes noise with 87 and 89, but not with 92 or 93, that fixed that problem,
do you see any oil under the truck, if so clean real good with degreser and water, then look for oil,
i towed a trailer to FL from NY bout 1200 miles and lost bout 1 Quart or so. the dealer ship said its normal to loose like up to 1 and 3/4 quarts when hauling loads so if you tow alot i wouldnt worry too much i dont loose any under normal driving, change oil bout every 2000 - 2500 miles and have 99755 miles on truck
mxracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
mprtech
AF Regular

Re: burning oil

Your intake manifold lower pan gasket is likely blown. Remove the aircleaner and open the throttle blades and look inside the tb with a flashlight. If you see pooling of oil then the gasket is blown.
mprtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:52 PM   #4
moparboy99
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to moparboy99
Re: burning oil

Mine made the same sound. the intake was leaking on my truck. they arn't to bad to change the gasket kit Ithink was like 40 bucks I also switch to a synthic blend oil and now it makes no noise at all and has lots of power. and hasn't used a drop of oil yet and that was like 10,000 miles ago. look next to your thermotst housing that was were mine was leaking coolent.and I could smell a burn't oil smell in the exhast. hope this helps. If you have any quetions e-mail me
moparboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10