Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Rio | Rio Cinco | Pride
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

Timing Belt destroyed engine

I have a friend that buys and sells cars. He just purchased a used 2001 Kia Rio 5spd. 1.5L for $900. The car didnt run. The reason was that the timing belt had broken and left 8 valves in the incorret position so that they were hit and broken off by the pistons, which severely dented the pistons. He is putting a new engine in the car so hopefully it will run after this and I'll be able to have the car. Just a heads up/warning on this critical issue.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
ardave
AF Newbie

Re: Timing Belt destroyed engine

my daughter has a 2001 kia and the motor locked up on it at 70,000 miles Kia put new motor in it under the warrenty thats about all i can say is good about the car
ardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
wehswarriorS-10
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to wehswarriorS-10

my ex-girlfriends mom and dad had a 2001 rio and the timing belt broke on it and it actually put a hole in one of hte pistons so they had ot get a new motor for it too, but it only took like 2 hours for us to put the little ass thing in
wehswarriorS-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:12 AM   #4
akdan747
AF Newbie

i lost the timing belt and engine at 53000 miles
akdan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:07 AM   #5
kyle95g20
AF Regular

this is only an issue with models that are abused or neglected. i work at a kia dealership as a technician and have only seen a few timing belt issues. most of which are the owners had installed the tbelt somewhere else and tehy couldn't figure out the timing or how to set the engine to tdc before disassembling.

timing belt change is recomended at 60k...you really should do it at that point in time.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
roadtripper
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Timing Belt destroyed engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle95g20
this is only an issue with models that are abused or neglected.
timing belt change is recomended at 60k...you really should do it at that point in time.
I disagree-- I had all required services done on my car. My timing belt destroyed my engine at 73,000 miles, and I am fighting with the dealer to honor the warranty. I brought my Rio to the dealership for its 60000 mile service, and requested that they do whatever was necessary to keep my warranty current. They said they couldn't do that-- I had to tell them exactly what I wanted. I said-- I want you to do all the recommended services. Because the car had been stalling, they adjusted the timing belt. I never knew that if I didn't say "replace the timing belt" that I was liable for the damage. Any advice?? I have already filed a case with Kia Motors America and the Better Business Bureau.
roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
fastkia
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to fastkia

I am also a kia tech and we don't really get any rios with broken t-belts. I'm sure they recommended the belt when u did ur 60k since that's a good sale for the service advisor and a gravy job for the techs. I also agree with kyle95g20 on the fact that most t-belts brake due to over worked engines and user error
fastkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
cartherapist
AF Newbie

This is very sad. First a car is out on the market aimed at the financially challenged; then it has a non-forgiving maintenance item. This is just prime for disaster! As far as no one in a dealer having seen this problem, that has to political spin; or perhaps those who go to the dealer are financially better prepared. Kia ought to be sanctioned for this one.
cartherapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
smgstevo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardave
my daughter has a 2001 kia and the motor locked up on it at 70,000 miles Kia put new motor in it under the warrenty thats about all i can say is good about the car

Let's repair the lemon over and over and over again!
smgstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

blau, Blau Blau.
Broken timing belts and bent valves are not new or uncommon in automobiles. Every manufacturer has engines that operate the same way. Kia specifically says to change the belt at 60000 miles, they dont care if you change it, your mechanic down the street changes it or the dealer changes it. If you dont know how and you have to take it to the dealer to change, thats your fault, not Kias. Its also your decision whether or not to do it at all. If you make the wrong decision, its also your fault.
Ray H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
vince2010
AF Newbie

The warranty on the 2004 Kia Rio says the timing belt is not part of the warranty and must be replaced at 60,000 miles. Timing belt has been replaced once by the dealership at $300 coupon special.
vince2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
blabhern
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to blabhern

So I understand how to replace a timing belt. What I would like to know is how long and difficult is it to replace on an 01 Rio? My daughter has a Rio now with about 60K miles.
blabhern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

Here is what disturbs me about KIA RIO timing belts....

I just bought a used 2003 RIO with the 1.6 L engine with 90,000 miles on it.

I found out from KIA (by giving them the Vin Number) that this RIO was serviced
at that KIA dealership at 78,000 miles and the Timing Belt had been replaced with
a KIA belt.

Now...if the belt was replaced at KIA and is a KIA belt...why won't they warrantee
the engine if the belt fails before 60,000 miles.

They will not......!

They admonish one to use a KIA Belt...but won't warrantee the engine should
it fail (on a used car).

Had I done the replacement - I'd have gone with Goodyear or Dayco (a US Made belt).

DoctorBill

DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
rhynes
AF Newbie

Interesting to see two kia techs saying the same thing...

Recommended change for belt on the rio WAS 100000 kms, since been changed to 60k due to so many breakages. And all you need to do is search google to find that it is an issue. The timing belt on my 02 went at 87000 kms and destroyed the engine - holes in two piston heads and all the valves were smashed. Course it was done under warranty - covered to 100k. I personally won't take the timing belt beyond 50k anymore - $30 is nothing in comparison...

The problem as i see it, the belts Kia sells are cheap - yep cheap but they sell them for top $$$. Yes, the dealers are carrying better belts like dayco but selling them for $170 as compared to $30 at the local parts place. I told a friend who has an 02 cinco to get hers replaced - she was at 102000 but she doesn't need to take it to a dealer - buy the dayco and find a mech to do it, it's easy.

Well she did take it to the dealer and $700 later its done and they still installed the cheap peice of crap belt.
rhynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #15
odicus
AF Newbie

I have 163,000 miles on my 2003 Kia Rio Cinco. Guess it's about time I changed the Timing belt.
odicus is offline   Reply With Quote