Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

Rear drivers side door will not open

Hello,

the back driver side door will not open. I locked the doors using the remote, then noticed the door was not closed, so i shut the door. Now I cannot open it from the inside or the outside. I can unlock it and hear the lock engaging and opening. The handle move normally but no opening. Any ideas?

after:
jackmalone2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Re: Rear drivers side door will not open

I'm sorry to hear about your door not opening; what year is your Buick? If you were to decide upon working with a dealership, please let me know as I am available to assist however I can.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

It is a 2006 Buick Lucerne

Thanks Sarah

after:
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

When you command the door(with the remote), to lock and then unlock, do you see movement of the manual door lock? If no, then try manually locking/unlocking, briskly several times....

If yes, then try the handles and compare them to to the other side....do they have the same "resistance" when you operate them? If you don't, could have a linkage problem....

Since the door was not fully closed, is it possible you jammed the door against the seatbelt or some other object?

If you can get the door in the unlock position, have someone repeatedly pull on the handle to try and open it from the outside, while someone else gives the door a good shove from the inside.....have the person on the outside be prepared to stop the door, in case it suddenly opens....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

Hi Tech II,

All of your suggestions were good ones.

There was nothing jammed against the door.

When I command the door(with the remote), to lock and then unlock, I see movement of the manual door lock.

I got the door in the unlock position and pushed from the inside. I am reticent to have someone pull on the outside handle, to try and open it from the outside, because the handle seems frail. I gave it a few very hard pushes from the inside and it didn't budge.

I tried the handles and compared them to the other side and they do not have the same "resistance" when I operate them. The broken door handle has almost no resistance whatsoever. I am thinking I have a linkage problem.

How would I fix a linkage problem?

Thank you for all of your ideas.

Jack

after:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Well, I can't remember if that window goes all the way down or if it sticks up a few inches.....don't know if you can stick a pen light in towards the rear of the door between the glass and edge of the door to see if the linkages are attached(move the inner handle and the outer handle to see if the linkages are attached and move the connectors of the door latch assembly......

If they do, then the latch is sticking, or the other possibility is the child restraint lock is activated(this means you can't open from the inside, but can from the outside....however, if the outside handle is broken or disengaged, it won't release the door)......

If you can't send a rod or coathanger, between the glass and door to push on the connector of the latch from the outside handle, then the door panel has to come off(you will have to have the window in the up position)......

If you plan on doing this yourself, you will need to learn how to remove the panel(special procedure)......I recommend doing the other door first, with it open.....that way you will also be able to see how the linkages are suppose to move.....

But believe me, it won't be easy taking that panel off with the door closed.....

I had a Lesabre do the same thing once.....getting the panel off was not easy.....the linkages were intact....the problem was the latch.....it was rusted so bad it wouldn't release......I got a can of PB Blaster in the door and soaked the crap out of the latch assembly.......kept working, by hand, every linkage and respraying.....all of a sudden it came loose....

Not an easy job for the DIY'er....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Obviously, you have an inside linkage problem, which will require removal of the inner door panel to repair. Your car is 6-yrs old and I doubt Sarah @ GM Customer Service could provide any relief from the expense at the dealer. Then again, miracles can happen!

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

Got home from work tonight, decided to try and open the door, and it opened right up.

Not sure what happened, or what changed, but as long as I can open the door I will consider myself lucky.

Thanks to all for the help and replies.

Jack

after:
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmalone2001 View Post
Got home from work tonight, decided to try and open the door, and it opened right up.

Not sure what happened, or what changed, but as long as I can open the door I will consider myself lucky.

Thanks to all for the help and replies.

Jack
Jack, if I can offer a suggestion. Lube ALL the doors...locking mechanisms, hinges, everything that moves.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28 View Post
I doubt Sarah @ GM Customer Service could provide any relief from the expense at the dealer. Then again, miracles can happen!
Or any year for that matter. Never seen any "relief" or help on this or any site frequented by the various names of the GM Customers Service Rep.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne