Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice
Shop Owner Advice Discuss various issues relating to running an auto shop with other shop owners/employees.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #16
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: How to Drive a Five Speed

Holding down the clutch while coasting to a stop won't wear out the clutch, it'll wear out the throw-out bearing (which is a lot easier to replace than the whole clutch). Usually, just go into neutral and brake to a stop normally, but if you think traffic might start moving again suddenly, keep the clutch in and just downshift through the gears so that you'll be in the right gear if you have to accelerate.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #17
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

well being that he has had the car since Oct. '04, I'm guessing he has figured it out by now. Please check the dates before posting.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #18
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

ptshhh, i never check on the first post, only the last post... its still good info
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:33 PM   #19
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

the way i learned how to drive 5 speed; filled the tank with gas and drove around town all day, mostly my own neiborhood. practiced on flat and slanted surfaces. while braking, its a good idea to down shift while braking. that way u use the momentum of the car to slow u down instead of solely relying on ur brakes. do that especially in bad weather.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #20
$upraman
AF Newbie

Re: Re: How to Drive a Five Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthus3
wrong forum moron.... this is for people who know what their taking about and how old are you like 14?
Lets try not to be such a jackass, mmkay?
$upraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #21
minerva169
AF Newbie

I'm new here...I just bought a 5- speed. I do fairly well with it, but any suggestions about hills? my husband and I went out to a remote hill yesterday. He siad I did okay, but I am still unsure...any suggestions on how to perfect staying on a hill with clutch and gas (no brake being used) without gong ove 4 rpms? My husband said practice, but I'm impatient. I would like to master this soon.
minerva169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #22
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

thuggie think of your clutch like brake pads. it works with friction. you ride the brakes you burn up that material and cause glazeing (especially if the clutch is new) and kman is right holding the clutch all the way in wears on the throw out bearing, but it is much better then riding the clutch. ( but the point is this material needs time to break down like brakes they last a long while, 100,000 isnt out of the ordinary for a clutch if you drive it well)

in practical driving i have learned it is not highway driving, or city driving, or long trips, or hills that bothers the hell out of me. its going those blasted 2 and 4 inches at the drive through in mickey dee's. when i was learning i cant tell you how many times i killied it.

hills... personnally there are 2 options one is ride the clutch just perfect so you are not going backward nore forward (i dont suggest it though see above) the other is more of a rocking motion where you roll back, catch yourself with the clutch and roll forward. actually neither are good for the clutch but if you are just looking for a way you can try those.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #23
JABenn318
AF Newbie

I am trying to teach my mother how to drive a five speed properly. She has a bad habit, in my opinion, of shifting all the way up to fifth and leaving it in this gear, even though she is only travelling at 30-35 MPH on residential streets. I say that she should use 3rd, or possibly 4th gear, at this speed and situation, and that using 5th gear will lug the motor and is actually inefficient at this speed. I was taught that 5th gear is an overdrive gear and should be used only at highway speeds. Could you give us an opinion in this matter?
JABenn318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
notty queen
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to notty queen
Arrow Re: How to Drive a Five Speed

It not easy learn driving by reading tips.I suggest to take a course from a driving master..To know more you can visit Here

Last edited by notty queen; 07-22-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: To add something
notty queen is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice