Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
schrochem
AF Newbie

Question A/C fan problems

I was hoping someone might help me. I have a 1999 Trooper and have an intermittent fan problem. It is starting to get hot here in Texas so I need to resolve this problem soon. The A/C itself seems to be working fine but the fan may or may not come on. I have felt the fan and when it is working it does cycle through the speeds. If it comes on, it will stay on until I turn the truck off. The fan speed doesn’t seem up to par as I have to put the speed all the way up to get any kind of cooling going. The times it doesn’t start, it may never start up. However, I have seen it magically come on when my speed increased (entering a highway).
The only other symptoms I can offer is the amount of water being discharged seems to be excessive and immediate. I thought that had something to do only with the A/C but if I turn the A/C off it keeps on dripping. Even if I turn the heater on it keeps on dripping and a fast rate. The only way to stop the dripping is to turn the fan off.
Is it my fan? Is it possibly a fuse (I don’t know how to check if the two fuses in the box are still good)? Lastly, do you think my A/C is still fine and it is just a fan problem?
Thanks for any help
Scott
schrochem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like a problem with the blower speed resistor pack. I'm not positive where it is on the trooper, but they are *usually* bolted to, or paritally inside the blower duct (behind the glove box area). Trace the wires from the blower speed selector switch to find where the resistor pack is.
G/luck
Joel
Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pcitizen
Re: A/C fan problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
I was hoping someone might help me. I have a 1999 Trooper and have an intermittent fan problem. It is starting to get hot here in Texas so I need to resolve this problem soon. The A/C itself seems to be working fine but the fan may or may not come on. I have felt the fan and when it is working it does cycle through the speeds. If it comes on, it will stay on until I turn the truck off. The fan speed doesn’t seem up to par as I have to put the speed all the way up to get any kind of cooling going. The times it doesn’t start, it may never start up. However, I have seen it magically come on when my speed increased (entering a highway).
The only other symptoms I can offer is the amount of water being discharged seems to be excessive and immediate. I thought that had something to do only with the A/C but if I turn the A/C off it keeps on dripping. Even if I turn the heater on it keeps on dripping and a fast rate. The only way to stop the dripping is to turn the fan off.
Is it my fan? Is it possibly a fuse (I don’t know how to check if the two fuses in the box are still good)? Lastly, do you think my A/C is still fine and it is just a fan problem?
Thanks for any help
Scott
I am curious if you found the fix to this problem. My Izuzu Trooper has the exact problem you describe, but without the condensate dripping issue. Otherwise it's the same. I did some diagnostics on it today and found it does not have a resistor block per se. There is an electronic device with large heat sink on the blower where you'd expect to see the resistor pack. Additionally, the high speed fan control relay seems to be working and checks good. What is peculiar is the fan speed control resistor. I think this is the actual problem. I place an ohmmeter across the center and one of the other leads and discovered that the resistance was almost zero. When I began to turn the knob ccw the resistance started to go up (increase) then suddenly went to infinity. When I connected ohmmeter lead to the remaining connection the resistance was very high as you'd expect. When I started to turn the knob ccw the resistance started to fall then dropped to near zero.

So, I think the fan speed control knobs (resistor) is bad. Is this what you discovered?

Jeff L.
Hampton, VA
pcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard