Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > N2O | Turbo | Superchargers
N2O | Turbo | Superchargers Tech forum to assist in Honda/Acura Performance.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
thehube2
AF Newbie

Help-Jackson Supercharged 98 Prelude

I wanted to know if a stock supercharger will work as I have come accross a problem which involves me buying a Hondata system before I install my supercharger. I was told that I could fry my engine if I dont use hondata and that it is the only way to go. So if anyone knows anything about jackson supercharger on a prelude let me know. Thanks.
thehube2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Tranzlogic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tranzlogic
Re: Help-Jackson Supercharged 98 Prelude

well there is no stock supercharger, your referring to a jackson racing charger system. no it wont blow you as long as you run adaquit fuel and octane levels to support it. That system isnt gonna let you run enough boost to have to worry about blowing your walls or so forth. No you dont NEED a hondata system in order to run that charger .. but it would always be a better way to go !!!!!
Tranzlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
thehube2
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply but i am concern as I have a formely known Jackson Racing out here in Westminister, CA that refuses to install it with out hondata. States that it works way better with the hondata and no problems will be incountered. Now I was also told if I put in the new pulleys I can boost at 10ps1 on it? Any truth to this?
thehube2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

the jrsc at stock boost will run fine with a direct bolt and go. Just expect detonation to be a common thing. your supercharging experience would be alot better if you had JR piggybacks ex. JR Boost timimng control, JR MAP controller, and JR VPAC to compliment it. You can probably grab all this off ebay for around $300 - $400. Thats if your tight on money.

If you have some extra cash to spend, go get a hondata system instead. It would probably cost around $800-$900+ used for the ecu, hondata, harness, injectors, and other misc stuff that you may need. This is a better way to go than to with the JR piggybacks.

I have my JR piggybacks (BTC, MAP, & VPAC) for sale if your interested. There not out yet, but will be in about 2-3 weeks. let me know if your interested. I am switching over to a hondata s200b to manage my fuel and timing. Just waiting on the ait sensor to arrive before i install and tune. However if you are limited on funds, then just bolt up your JRSC without any of this. It will be fine running on the stock boost level. You can add the JR piggybacks or standalone later on if you wanted too.

To up the boost on a JRSC, you will need to change out the pulleys either on the crank, the blower nose pulley, or get a stepper pulley. The actual science to this is just to make the bolwer spin faster thus making more boost and power. If you ever up the boost, then you will need a new fuel pump and better than JR piggybacks for fuel management (thoguh they may work, it is better and safer to go with a standalone system such as hondata or an AEM EMS)

If they wont install it for you, have you considered doing it yourself. the instructions are on the Jackson Racing website. Though the installation seems long, tedious, and complicated. It is a walk through the park. Just make sure you have all the proper tools, follow the directions properly, and be ready for a 10 hour + install if it is your first time. and it is nice to have a buddy for help too.

I think c-speedracing has a better install guide, but it is for a teg with plenty of pictures for reference.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but i am concern as I have a formely known Jackson Racing out here in Westminister, CA that refuses to install it with out hondata. States that it works way better with the hondata and no problems will be incountered. Now I was also told if I put in the new pulleys I can boost at 10ps1 on it? Any truth to this?
Strange, they use to bolt the JRSC without anything. Maybe they just want you to buy the hondata. Anyways, ive heard they are under new management. That could be the reason why too.

Anyways, if your really looking for a forum dedicated to JRSC users, full of experience and information, go here.

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...bb/forum/f/110

most of these JRSC users are teg guys, a few b16 guys roaming around, and sometimes some lude users are there too.

Good luck.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
Tranzlogic
AF Enthusiast

youll be fine but as stated..if you want to up to the larger boost pulleys then you would need to get into your fuel and timing with an ecu or piggybacks. but like i said before if your running the stock JRSC its a bolt on and go process..if you wanan know what i would do.. I would get an ecu or the JR piggybacks just to be safe and have a much more efficiant ride..but if your getting into this then you are definatly gonna want this shop to do it for you. you could always just take it in steps if you wanted too..get the stock JRSC now ..bolt up yourself and roll on out..then save up a bit more and then get rather an ecu or piggybacks ang get them installed at this shop you speak of..then you can notice the difference yourself and now your ready to upgrade later on..then later on add a JR cooler and the upgraded pulley's and some injectors and start making evem more power...its all a matter of steps or one big cash throw down..take what i and superblue have both stated as very good advice ......but the choice is ultimately up to you
Old 05-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

yesterday, let a guy with his jrsc 96 ls integ took me for a test drive. it wasn't much of an experience at all. there was no other mods or piggy backs, just the jrsc by itself at the reccomended psi. during the ride we started on a roll which was what he preferred because he said he wouldn't get traction, i was like whatever. well after the ride i said "how about your sit it my car to see the difference because i swear there isn't much of a difference."

so then we got in my car and again started on a roll. i slowed down at about 80-90 mph and he was in disbelief. i did it again and he was still kind of shocked at my acceleration. he then want to see what i got under the hood i showed him, basically cai, exhaust, wires, plugs, and high performance axles, no crazy mods like his supercharger, but we were getting the same outcome.

heres the big disopointment, i asked him what his 1/4 mile time was, he said he ran a 16 flat on the 1/4. his excuse was that he was running with bad tires and that if he get some piggybacks and dyno tuned it he can possibly hit 14's. honestly i was disopointed, about $3000 for a supercharger and u still have to spend more to get its full potential? man, after this experienced im definately sticking with turbos.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:01 AM   #7
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

the b18b uses an M45 eaton blower.

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/prod...trols/M45.html

All other B series motors use the M62 blower.

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/prod...trols/M62.html

You can do the figures yourself.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #8
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
First of all, that's stupid they used a different and smaller blower for the LS, concidering the LS can handle more boost that the others on stock intenrals....also, it regards to hearing that Jackson Racing is under new management....

Yes, this is true. Oscar Jackson, Jackson Racing's founder about 20 years ago, sold it and moved to Colorado. Sport Compact Car had a short article on it when it happend, talking about how the grandfather and pioneer of Honda Tuning had called it quits for now. He really didn't get to in depth as to why, seemed he didn't want to go and bad mouth people and such, but you got the impression like he felt like he sold his soul when he sold the naming right for Jackson Racing and the Supercharger to the company that actually makes it. Jackson Racing Products were not designed nor make by Oscar Jackson or his Jackson Racing shop in any way. They basically used his name, etc. Suddenly, they had more control over his name and his shop than he did. He got sick of it, sold it and left. Word is he will eventually start a new shop under a different name, thought when and where I do not know.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
Tranzlogic
AF Enthusiast

well ive never been a fan of the Jackson systems personally ..but thats just me
Old 05-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: Help-Jackson Supercharged 98 Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzlogic
well ive never been a fan of the Jackson systems personally ..but thats just me
I've never really cared for them either. A long time ago when Oscar Jackson just owned the shop and did the work himself, etc, he knew his stuff. Still does, but once the "Jackson Racing" products really started coming out, it was a 3rd party designing and selling them, piggybacking off his name. I never really cared for the products either.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #11
Tranzlogic
AF Enthusiast

yeah, exactly
Old 05-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #12
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: Help-Jackson Supercharged 98 Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzlogic
yeah, exactly
You know, Oscar Jackson hinted in the article he might eventaully open a new shop, probably somewhere around where he is now in colorado. Anyways, it'd be interesting to see what he comes up with tuning wise in terms of building motors, FI, etc. Without the 3rd party designing and selling stuff under hsi name and really controlling what he does so to speak, I bet some of his old creativity would come out. Back in the day, before all this stuff, before Honda's where big, he was messing with em at the tracks and earning his name. I am quite glad to see he wanted out and sold it. It's just kind of sad, because he did know his stuff, and if you think about it, most of the newer Honda guys don't realize who he was. Anyways....enough of my rant...good way to some it up....Oscar Jackosn knows his stuff...Jackson Racing sucks...they're 2 different things...

It's funny how many of the newer guys who think they know Hondas don't know that...but I guess that's acient history to them....
Old 05-17-2004, 12:05 PM   #13
Tranzlogic
AF Enthusiast

yeah, id like to see him cook up something more along the lines of a turbo-on-a-stick design ..more like the vortechs..or perhaps some sort of a dual entry design..sky is the limit these days...i just like that he tried to keep everything as affordable as possable.....but yeah i think were all in agreement that Jackson Racing sucks and people only assume there worth a shit based on thier name and ads being smeared everywhere
Old 05-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #14
Tranzlogic
AF Enthusiast

so if you want a supercharger and have the outragous money to spend on a Vortech then do it....but I think a stage 1 kit is going to work out much better and far more efficiant for you THEHUBE2 ..and youll still be in the same price range you were thinking about paying for the crapson racing

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > N2O | Turbo | Superchargers