Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
drop_of_rain
AF Newbie

2006 Golf 5 clutch problem started after exhaust fix

Hi all,
I am driving a 2006 Golf 5 2 ltr petrol engine, mileage is 135K. I do not know much about cars. so I will really appreciate if you please bear with me.

Last week while i was driving, suddenly loud noise started while I was pressing the accelerator. I stopped at a garage and the guys told me that it was a problem related to exhaust system and assured me that I can still carry on driving but should not drive fast.

The following day I took it to a mechanic and he had a look and found the problem. He said that he will need to weld the exhaust. He went under the car and took out a piece, i did some googling and found that it is the front exhaust flex pipe and the rectangular clamp was broken. The mechanic welded that clamp with the pipe and then went under the car and did some more welding to put it back I assume.

However, that loud noise went away but later I noticed that ass soon I press the clutch pedal, there is a grinding noise. I am not exactly sure if the noise starts as soon as I start the car but I can definitely hear some grinding noise while depressing the clutch and even when the clutch is fully depressed the noise is still there and I think i cannot feel enough power while accelerating.

I can definitely say that the noise was not there before the exhaust fix. I have done some research and in most cases it is said that this noise is related to the release bearing (throw-out bearing) of the clutch. But I am just wondering how the fixing of the exhaust pipe can effect the clutch system? Are those systems related? Is it possible that the exhaust pipe and the transmission system are very nearby mechanic might have damaged the transmission system while putting back the exhaust pipe? Or may be some transmission fluid/gear oil was lost during the work and the clutch problem started?

N:B I might have asked some dumb question due to my lack of knowledge , please forgive me for those

Last edited by drop_of_rain; 06-02-2014 at 04:53 AM.
drop_of_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: clutch problem is Golf 5

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not very familiar with your particular car, but I can confidently say that the exhaust system is in no way directly related to the clutch or transmission. Additionally, there would be no reason to remove fluid from the transmission in the process of working on the exhaust.

I'd be more inclined to think that either due to the exhaust issue, or in the process of repairing it, a heat shield was broken or knocked loose and now, when you unload the engine, the heat shield is rattling. Exhaust heat shields have a somewhat standard tinny rattle noise to them. If you have a friend that's pretty good with cars or a shop that you trust, and can duplicate the noise in their presence, they should be able to pretty easily confirm if that's the likely source of your noise.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
drop_of_rain (06-02-2014)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical