Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Savana
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Malone999
AF Newbie

2008 Savana Stereo Yellow Wire

I have tried to install an aftermarket stereo in my 2008 Savana. I have been told that the yellow stereo wire is the data line and I may have shorted it or blown a fuse trying to install the new stereo. I have checked the stereo fuse under the seat and it is ok. Is there another fuse for this infamous yellow wire? Once I hook the yellow wire back up, there is nothing. The stereo guy said I have probably shorted the fuse or damaged the wire. If i bypass the yellow wire, the stereo works fine. The down side is that the stereo will not shut off when I either turn the van off or open the door. Big problem.
Does anyone have any idea as to what I should do to get this working again. How do I figure out where the problem is with this wire.
Malone999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2008 Savana Stereo Yellow Wire

The yellow wire is an input to the radio from the interior lights system dimming control- it is what dims the radio display when you adjust the dimmer switch for the instrument cluster-- as long as the instrument cluster still dims properly, your fuse is not blown.

You need a good wiring diagram of your OEM radio wiring-
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
Malone999 (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Hello,

I've uploaded the wiring diagram for you, I don't know which version you own, but I don't think there are many differences, let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Oscar.

Last edited by olopezm; 03-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olopezm For This Useful Post:
Malone999 (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Malone999
AF Newbie

Thank you so much for the response and the diagram. I am so puzzled with this whole thing. While I am not a mechanic, I was able to understand the basic schematic. What I noticed is that the diagram shows a "dk green" wire being the computer data line". What I am confused with is the fact that I get no power to the unit using the "LED DIMMING CTRL" Yellow wire. The diagram does not show where that ends at. Also, the interior lights still come on when the door is opened. Is the problem more related to the "LO SERIAL DATA" green wire then. If so, what do I do with the green and yellow wires? How do I get power to the unit when the car is on and no power, other than the clock when the car is off?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

The yellow wire will have voltage only when you turn the headlights on, check with your multimeter and voltage will vary with the light dimming control.

I'll check the diagrams to look for another power source, it is very likely you'll have to run a set of wires from the ignition switch to the radio so you get the proper wiring.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

It looks like you might be able to use the two lines I highlighted in the folowing diagram, but you'll have to use a relay in order to avoid drawing too much power form the harness. Check with your multimeter first to see if voltage is present when you turn the key to the Accessory and run positions.

I'm sorry that I can't provide a better advise but I'm not very experienced with the system used in your van, in fact I've never worked with serial data in cars.

Best regards,

Oscar.

Last edited by olopezm; 03-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to olopezm For This Useful Post:
Malone999 (02-25-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
Malone999
AF Newbie

So, here it is. I still have the same problem. However here is what i now know. When I turn the headlights on, some power goes to the unit, but all I hear is a clicking sound and the red led light inside the stereo flickers very lightly on and off. Whether or not the van is turned on makes no difference. If I then take the red wire from the stereo and connect it to to power from the lighter, nothing happens again. If i then take the yellow wire and connect it to the red power wire from the fuse box, the stereo works perfectly but the it wont turn off when the van is turned off. That would be a big problem.
I am even more confused now. I would welcome any fix or workaround.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Why don't you wire your stereo hot wire to an ignition accessory wire- that comes on when ignition is in accessory mode? Use the brown wire in the ignition harness at steering column as your source, or use an "adapt a fuse" terminal on an accessory hot at the fuse box.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
Malone999 (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone999 View Post
So, here it is. I still have the same problem. However here is what i now know. When I turn the headlights on, some power goes to the unit, but all I hear is a clicking sound and the red led light inside the stereo flickers very lightly on and off. Whether or not the van is turned on makes no difference. If I then take the red wire from the stereo and connect it to to power from the lighter, nothing happens again. If i then take the yellow wire and connect it to the red power wire from the fuse box, the stereo works perfectly but the it wont turn off when the van is turned off. That would be a big problem.
I am even more confused now. I would welcome any fix or workaround.
Thanks in advance.
Don't use the yellow wire to power the unit, you might damage something, this wire should only be wired to the dimmer wire in the stereo unit, you say the stereo was only clicking and the red light was flickering that's because the yellow wire does not carries 12v, it can var from 0 to maybe 10 or full 12 volts in order to dimm the lights on the dashboard and the stereo itself, that's why it would only turn on with the lights on.

The red wire from the stereo should be connected to the RUN wire on the ignition switch so it remains ON when the engine is running, the yellow wire should be connected to the ACCY wire on the ignition switch so it stays on when you turn the key backwards to the accessory position.

The stereo reamins on all the time because the red wire in the original harness has constant 12v, which as you said it's not good and you'll end up with a discharged battery sooner or later.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong; tThe serial data system in the van uses constant 12v because the components are powered all the time but the serial data tells them when to wake up and when to go into low power consumption mode (turn off). That's why you have a green line with the Low (speed) serial data used for most accessories and a High (speed) serial data for critical components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd View Post
Why don't you wire your stereo hot wire to an ignition accessory wire- that comes on when ignition is in accessory mode? Use the brown wire in the ignition harness at steering column as your source, or use an "adapt a fuse" terminal on an accessory hot at the fuse box.
That's pretty much what I meant to say with the last diagram I uploaded. One highlighted wire is for accessory position and the other is for RUN position.

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
miporboy
AF Newbie

anyway i can get that stereo wiring diagram. thx
miporboy is offline   Reply With Quote