Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > Spitfire
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
tredway
AF Newbie

triumph spitfire racer?

i have a spitfire am rebuilding or selling, depending of availablity of parts. need main bearings, 1/4 inch wider than stock spitfire and some rings 30 over. ..4 ring pistons.
the beast hase two serial number plates onthe firewall. any suggestions for info on this item?
any help would be appreciated
thanks
tredway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
andi_byz
AF Newbie

Re: triumph spitfire racer?

You Can Get Most Parts From Moss Motors, Or Just Find A Different Power Plant, Im In The Middle Of A Nissan 300zx Transplant Into My 71 Spitfire.
andi_byz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
tredway
AF Newbie

spitfire

thanks for the reply.
i have redone the body, i am reluctant to build it other than stock. the problem is it has an aparant racing motor (near as i can research) and parts, bearings, crank. rods, ect are almost impossible to find. it has two body plates, the one indicates a special order,non stock, engine. i am not having too much luck researching it. the triumph regristry is no help.
i was hoping someone would have some sage advice of where to look
merry christmas
tredway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
DurangoDave
AF Regular

Re: triumph spitfire racer?

Tredway-
The engine should have a serial number stamped on it, and that's where you need to start to identify the thing.
Surely you've already checked with SpitBits? Victoria British? Rimmer Brothers? Triumphspitfire.com?
(BTW, Don't know what year you have, but I find Moss to be totally worthless for anything older than 1971.....they only seem to deal with squaretails, not roundtails).
Also check in on the Totally Triumph Network. All of these sources can tell you what the engine is, as long as it's a valid Triumph serial number. Unfortunately, these cars usually have a long history of owners, and many times previous owners would do all kinds of weird modifications, including engine changes, over the years, since these things were never very reliable and always needed to be worked on.
(Also noticed you said you wanted to stick to mostly stock. If you think the motor is "an apparent racing motor", I can assure than no spitfire came with such a thing as stock, so you're a long way from stock already. You might want to replace the engine with a stock spitfire motor. They're out there, and there are some spitfire websites where they turn up occasionally. If you want to stick with the motor you've got, you'll probably need to go to a speed shop or machine shop and have them build what you need).
Good luck
Dave
DurangoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
thenakedtarmacer
AF Newbie

Hi if you want parts for a race motor in your spitfire try jigsaw on www.jigsawracingservices.co.uk i used to get all the bits for my spitfire race car from them, they may help you find out what your enginr is.
thenakedtarmacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:18 AM   #6
NiG_21
AF Newbie

Talking Spitfire Racer

Well... hello!

Everynow and again I trawl the forums in the hope of finding threads just like this one. I have been racing Spitfires for over five years and am currently the TSSC Competition Secretary in the UK.

Please ask me any questions about this race engine you have and I will answer them to the best of my ability

There is no reason why you can't just use the engine you already have - even though it is race spec. But you may want to consider changing the cam from a full race one (if it has one) to a milder fast road type.

A de-tuned race engine is likely to be more reliable and no-one really has to know what's inside the block - if you don't want them to. Parts are easily avilable at many different suppliers in the UK - so you shouldn't have to worry on that account.
NiG_21 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > Spitfire