Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > Spitfire
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
DrFatts
AF Newbie

found spitfire but can i keep up with it?

I'll be honest I am a teenager who has saved up so that i could get a decent car. My parents will help me but i have come across a 1980 triumph spitfire. i have heard mixed reviews of being very finicky but also that they can make great cars. i have not done a lot of work on cars myself but i would like to as long as i could get where i need to go. my brother has worked as a mechanic so i would hav some help but is the car simple enough for me? i can actually afford the spitfire w/ my own money but repairs (new top and anything that comes up) will be funded by my parents. i'm excited to see if i could possibly use this car as my own daily driver to school lessons friends houses ect..

i have found a website ( www.victoriabritish.com) full of parts is t what i need good prices or should i forget it?

is it simple enough for a 16 year old who just read a lot and wants to learn more "hands on" about cars?

really i need to know if a triumph spitfire will be the investment i'm looking for or if it will be a big hassle and i will end up needing to get rid of it?
DrFatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
jazzzmonky
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jazzzmonky
Re: found spitfire but can i keep up with it?

I am 16 myself. When I was 14 I took on restoring a 1988 ford bronco. Unfortunatly no one in my family is mechanically inclined so i could not really turn to them for help. I have been successful in the restoration so far. My advice is what ever vehical you are considering restoring read and talk to people about it as much as you can prior to purchase to get an idea if it is doable. If you are considering a spitfire go to a library if you can and get out books on restoring them. Also the internet is a great source. If you do the "home work" you will be able to gleen if it is doable for you or not. Consider things like availabuility of parts, how easy it is to reach things in the engine compartment. Just simple things like that can make the difference when youve never done this before. Also keep in mind what ever vehicle you choose you will allways encounter ups and downs and much frustration. Even if your restoration project become expensive and seemingly not worth it try not to think of it as a monetary investment but as an investment in education and life skills.

good luck
jazzzmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
growe58
AF Regular

One of the easiest cars in the world to work on. Parts are fairly cheap, but generally need to be mailordered. There are a couple of REALLY good spitfire forums on the internet, spitfire owners (and all LBCs pretty much) are THRILLED to help a young newcomer to the marque (not unlikely that someone that lives nearby will even come to your house and help you wrench).

Mechanicals are easy and cheap. Interior and trim parts are easy but pricey. If you have rust, body work is VERY involved and not for the faint hearted. If you use the car year round in a climate that includes rain or snow, it WILL rust. Avoid a rusty car!!!

Good luck!

Greg
growe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
bobfoley1276
AF Newbie

Spitfires are simple, fun cars. You can work it into a reliable daily driver for not a lot of $$

Go to Triumphspitfire.com and look at their listings. Lots of good info to get started. Look on e-bay to get an idea of what they are worth in what condition

Parts are not too bad dollar wise and most are easily available, look at Spitbits, The roadster factory etc.

I have a '78 Spitfire and a '73 GT-6 I am now working on. Let me know if you have specific questions. bobfoley1276@aol.com

Good Luck !
bobfoley1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:10 AM   #5
KimMG
AF - Advisor

I liked my Spitfire. Ride was a little rough and I found the pasenger compartment small. Working on the car was easy. The bonnet lifts forward and provides easy access to the front wheels and motor. If you get one, join a local club, you will find the resources of a club can provide technical info, parts sources, possibly specialty tool loans, but most of all you will find a lot of people who will share their enthusiasm. There are a few good books out there. I recommend the Hayne's Restoration Manual written by Lindsay Porter and Peter Williams. It provides a pretty good guide as to what to look for when buying. The book is available at http://mossmotors.com ebay or amazon may have it for less.
You want to find one with the best body, no rust. Body work is usually the most expensive repair, sometimes costing thousands to replace rusty panels and paint.
I was sorry to have to let my Spitfire go, but I wanted something a little bigger so I got a MGB.
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > Spitfire