Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
dwitczak
AF Newbie

I hate asking a dumb question, but here goes.

Brake fluid. I found that my 96 blazer 4x4 with 3.4liter had no brake fluid in it the other day when the e-brake light would not go out. I filled up the fluid and bleed the brakes. I got alot of air out. But I can not find a leak. I have to admit I have not checked the brake fluid level in 6-9 months. Can it magically disappear, like say my engine oil? Or is this a sign of a bigger problem?
dwitczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Re: I hate asking a dumb question, but here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwitczak
Brake fluid. I found that my 96 blazer 4x4 with 3.4liter had no brake fluid in it the other day when the e-brake light would not go out. I filled up the fluid and bleed the brakes. I got alot of air out. But I can not find a leak. I have to admit I have not checked the brake fluid level in 6-9 months. Can it magically disappear, like say my engine oil? Or is this a sign of a bigger problem?
I have seen master cylinders leak into the vacuum booster, which is connected to the intake manifold with a large vacuum line. You might be able to pull the vacuum hose fitting out of the vacuum booster and see if there is brake fluid inside. You may need to use something like a pipe cleaner to get down towards the bottom of the booster to tell. The brake fluid might not be making it all the way to the engine, but it could be filling the vac booster.

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 08-24-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Rick Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
dwitczak
AF Newbie

Is this a major problem. What are the possible effects. Other than the loose of brake fluid. How do you stop this from happening?
dwitczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwitczak
Is this a major problem. What are the possible effects. Other than the loose of brake fluid. How do you stop this from happening?
Yes it is a major problem in that you may find yourself without brakes. If this is actually what is happening, the obvious answer is to replace the master cylinder. I would have this vehicle checked out by a competent garage if you're unsure. Don't mess around with this. No brakes can be a disaster.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer