Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

roation criss cross =no good.

i know some owners books says to criss/cross instead of just front to back. i also know that i,m looking at a set of nice michillins that are making alot of humming noises since they were criss/crossed. which why do you guys rotate tires?
jamesmetairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: roation criss cross =no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmetairie
i know some owners books says to criss/cross instead of just front to back. i also know that i,m looking at a set of nice michillins that are making alot of humming noises since they were criss/crossed. which why do you guys rotate tires?
Criss/cross rotation isn't causing the noise. The noise is being generated by irregular wear which in turn is being generated by misalignment. Rotating the tires is merely revealing the irregular wear pattern - moving irregularly worn tires from a non-noise producing position into a noise producing position.

Fix the alignment, and you'll stop generated more irregular wear. However, once the tires are irregularly worn, you can't go backwards (put rubber back on the tire). The best you can hope for is that the tires get a new wear pattern that erases the old wear pattern. At best, this may take some time. At worst, it may not happen at all.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

My summer tires are directional so I can't criss-cross rotate unless I was to dismount and remount the tires.

My winter tires are non-directional and since they are all the same, every time I put them on I have no clue what position the particular tire was in last. If they start to wear unevenly I'll be sure to mount the more worn ones in the positions less prone to wear on my car (the rear), but as of now, they seem to be wearing evenly.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
blackm20i
AF Newbie

i always criss cross cause my tires are non directional

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels