Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
monti730105
AF Newbie

2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx Broken Power Seat

I have a 2004 Malibu Maxx hatchback. It has been a solid car since we rolled it out of the showroom. Recently, I noticed when I raise the adjustable driver's seat after my petite wife has driven the car, the seat tilts to the right. After a survey of the power seat mechanics I found a broken front rail. It appears as if the end of the rail where it connects to the hinge is being peeled back as if I were removing the wraper of a crayon. I have only found one other post on the internet. Is this is a common problem?

Last edited by monti730105; 08-28-2008 at 10:58 AM.
monti730105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
AD2BU
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx Broken Power Seat

I have an 05 Maxx and have not experienced the seat issue you described. However, I did run into an issue moving the seat all the way back as it stresses the wire harness and sometimes will not move forward again. I found by pressing on the connector where it plugs into the motor under the seat while engaging the switch to move it forward, it cures the problem until it is moved all the way back again.
AD2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
wpbharry
AF Regular

Never had THAT problem on my '04 Maxx. But nearly every other one, and there've been a ton. I'm the only driver, maybe that's why I haven't had this issue. Nor have I seen it on the Internet. But car wash attendants and service folks often move it forward, since I'm long-legged.

Be thankful your car has been solid. I consider mine an unmitigated disaster and I'm far from alone.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
nick8519
AF Newbie

i have an 05 malibu lt. recently the drivers seat started to rock/tilt back & left. took to dealer and a weld on the seat frame broke. thank god for warranty! dealer said $1000 job, $500 just for parts.
nick8519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
slls
AF Regular

No warranty, but I do own a welder. I checked, it is all steel.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
monti730105
AF Newbie

Yes warrantees are wonderful. But for those of use that are recently past the 60K, Aaaaa not so much! I too was quoted over $400 for the parts by Tom Moore Chevy. It appears chevy was smart enough to only sell the hinges as the whole drivers seat frame assembly. Difficult enough that the do-it-yourselfer would most likely bring it to the shop to replace. But AH HAH! J&B Weld to the rescue. A buddy of mine who is heavily into automotives, suggested the use of J&B Weld. I'll follow the instructions to the letter this weekend and let you all know how it goes. $5 for the J&B weld sure sounds like it is worth a shot. If not it is off to a traditional welding solution.

monti730105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
franks350
AF Newbie

Dont be too Surprised
I have the exact year and model for my wife and she complained about the same.I checked it out and what did i see? The frame weld snapped.
So now when you try to adjust only one side moves causing it to tilt.
I only see a weld for the cure.
I doubt very much J-B Weld putty is gonna be a fix only being that there is alot of stress and weight being used of the seat.
But if it works let us know!!
Hoping to get a small welder for xmas this year! LOL
franks350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
theniks
AF Newbie

I have the same problem the front weld has broken loose, i spoke with w welder and his said it would be a difficult because of the seat material and sparks making burn marks but i will be soon removing the entire seat and have it welded.
theniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
KADster
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Malibu, and just this weekend started having the issue with the broken support bar under the driver's seat. I bought the car used and after reading more about it, I am beginning to regret it.

As a temporary resolution, I've just lowered the seat all the way down. Feels like I'm driving my old Camaro again! Just got laid off from my job, so that's about the best I can come up with for now.
KADster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
chicknlcker
AF Newbie

I have an '05 Maxx. Love the car for the most part. Wish GM would have squared off the rear gate like an old school wagon...would have added so much more storage area.

Have had it just over a year. 65,000 miles. Front drivers seat rail just broke at the weld. Will take the seat out and weld the rail. Intermediate steering linkage knocks when making tight turns. No danger with this, just really annoying.
chicknlcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
jwsilkie
AF Newbie

Same issue with 2004 Malibu LT, weld on rt front of driver seat broken, causes seat to sag to right. Contacted NHTSA who told me they did not have enough complaints to investigate. Filed complaint on line with NHTSA just in case enough people complain. Chevrolet wants around a $1,000 for the repair. They should be made to stand good for the repair since it is so common.
jwsilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
jaimysessanna
AF Newbie

I have a 94 LeSabre, well a constant 4 years of me "throwing" myself and my not so small self into my drivers seat eventually broke the power seat's rail. I welded it and it broke again. I went to a junkyard and got a new bracket. You might want to try that if all else fails. Or just look and see if you can purchase one somewhere.
25 MPG all day long
jaimysessanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
cindyintexas
AF Newbie

Same thing here!! '04 Malibu broker frame which stressed out the motor so it wont move either. Sounds like it should be a recall?????
cindyintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
ssfowler8
AF Newbie

I have a Chevy Malibu LS and have had a broken driver's seat since a year after I bought the car. Took car to the dealership, no warranty, can't weld $900 plus labor for a new seat. Power seat of course. I have filed a complaint also with the NHTSA. After much researching there have been alot of complaints about the '04 Malibu Driver's Seat, in ALL models. To stop my seat from wobbling there is a piece of 2x4 under the seat on the track. Does anyone know if a regular seat would work, and what years are compatible??
ssfowler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #15
gagevincent
AF Newbie

I've had the same issue....TWICE. my wife and I are two different sizes and we move the seat quite a bit (like that should matter).....we've paid TWICE for the 'assembly' parts AND labor because we were told due to 'inspection' necessity we had no recourse but to repair it. 1200.00 total. This has put a HORRIBLE taste in our mouths after a pretty good run with this used car. 3 years, limited issues etc. ....don't mind paying for things that make sense but it's tough to swallow 1200.00 for basically, defects that nobody's willing to 'do the right thing on'.....Probably going to directly complain to chevy- I figure if a handful of people made an effort to go through everything to post/read here there must be PLENTY more.
gagevincent is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu