Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #136
DOS7impala
AF Newbie

Re: Passlock System - Final

Hello,
To conclude:
  • Overheated.
  • Changed the thermostat and sensor (wow).
  • Would not start security light.
  • Researched and found an honest dealer.
  • 10 min wait is correct, didn’t work.
  • Tow car.
  • Loose connection to one of the wiring harnesses! $125, ok
  • Leave dealer enroute to radiator specialty shop w/ car overheating, many stops.
  • Must leave car inside shop, bad area, not normally allowed, only place in small shop for one car, cannot make across town.
  • Remove and rotor rooter radiator, change one side of radiator, flush engine $235.
  • Get home to find the entire car cover in 1mm pellets of something very hard to remove. Two (2) days of cleaning w/ different stuff; I get it all off.
  • To wipe the last bit of high grade wax off of the clean running car; Priceless!
It was nice to meet this forum and thanks for the fast accurate help.

Thanks
P
DOS7impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #137
anloyo
AF Newbie

Re: Passlock System

Will this work for a Malibu 97?
anloyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #138
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

yep.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #139
skulemowski
AF Newbie

i have a 99 cavalier that I have replaced the passlock and ingnition twice and now the key is stuck and locked in the run position and radio power windows and a/c fans will not work it is like the car is not on but it starts and drives but it wont shut off i have to pull the fuel pump relay to kill the engine i know i have to replace the ignition but will the bypass work (cutting yellow wires) to get the other funtions work.
skulemowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #140
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulemowski
i have a 99 cavalier that I have replaced the passlock and ingnition twice and now the key is stuck and locked in the run position and radio power windows and a/c fans will not work it is like the car is not on but it starts and drives but it wont shut off i have to pull the fuel pump relay to kill the engine i know i have to replace the ignition but will the bypass work (cutting yellow wires) to get the other funtions work.
Welcome to AF
Sounds like you are going to need more than cutting the yellow wire.

It would be better to start a new thread/post to get help on your problem.
And give all info you can.
MT
Old 08-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #141
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

skule, glad to have you aboard but I too think you have something major wrong. Did you replace the ignition with GM-Delco stuff or what ever you could get at some auto parts place? There's been some issues with aftermarket ignition parts not working correctly.

The only other thing I've heard about keys being stuck to the "on" position is on some GM lines if you have a real low battery, it'll cause the ignition to stick to the "on" position. Since you say the car is running fine, I'd doubt this to be the case.
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #142
WMM
AF Newbie

Hello,

I have a 2003 Malibu, 3.1L with about 19K miles on it. A couple of weeks ago the theft system started acting up much like others have described. I go to start the car and when I turn the key to "RUN" I notice that none of the idiot lights come on and the only light displayed is "Theft System". If I try to start the car at this point it will just turn over, but not fire. If I jiggle the key around the idiot lights will come on and then the car will start and run just fine. However, it seems like most people will have a flashing "Theft System" light and mine comes on and stays on. My question to anybody kind enough to answer is do you think cutting the yellow wire on my ignition switch and installing the switch or resistor will fix my problem or do you think something else is wrong with my car?

Thank you.
WMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #143
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMM
Hello,

I have a 2003 Malibu, 3.1L with about 19K miles on it. A couple of weeks ago the theft system started acting up much like others have described. I go to start the car and when I turn the key to "RUN" I notice that none of the idiot lights come on and the only light displayed is "Theft System". If I try to start the car at this point it will just turn over, but not fire. If I jiggle the key around the idiot lights will come on and then the car will start and run just fine. However, it seems like most people will have a flashing "Theft System" light and mine comes on and stays on. My question to anybody kind enough to answer is do you think cutting the yellow wire on my ignition switch and installing the switch or resistor will fix my problem or do you think something else is wrong with my car?

Thank you.
Any warranty left.
If no other lights coming on.
May be a ign switch or just a wiring problem.
I would check it out first and try to find the problem.
MT
Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #144
WMM
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500
Any warranty left.
If no other lights coming on.
May be a ign switch or just a wiring problem.
I would check it out first and try to find the problem.
MT
There is no warranty left. Do you have any suggestions on how I could find out if it is a wire problem or a bad ignition switch?
WMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #145
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMM
There is no warranty left. Do you have any suggestions on how I could find out if it is a wire problem or a bad ignition switch?
Get a good wiring diagram and a 12 volt test light and check for 12 volt power to and from ign switch.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #146
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMM
Hello,

Thank you.
That particular symptom sure sounds like a bad ignition switch. It's very common on these cars.
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #147
malibu_97
AF Newbie

Thank u so much i cut the yellow wire while it was running no more problems
malibu_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #148
dclark_e@yahoo.com
AF Newbie

I too was having the frustration of the 10 min. wait for GM's thief deterrent system screw-up( about twice a day!).
I read about the fix where you cut the yellow wire on the ignition switch and install a toggle switch.
I was ready to do the fix ,but I thought I would try one other wild shot. I have 2 sets of keys, 1 used 99% of the time , the other like new. I went to Lowes and had 2 new keys made from like new one.
Went to the parking lot and tried the new key. It has worked, without a single problem for 3 months now!! It may not work for you, but its worth a try ( new key $1.97) I drive a 1998 Malibu which I brought new.
dclark_e@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #149
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

I doubt that'll completely solve your problems. These systems seem to behave differently with heat and humidity. So, when that changes again, I bet you'll have the same problem. I hope I'm wrong though!!!
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #150
luna0755
AF Newbie

The problem I have is that my malibu will not start because of the passlock. I am not getting any fuel when I try to start the car. Is there any way to get the car started once it is in this mode ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycorri
Yeah, I'm not so sure that the toggle switch is original equipment. As for disabling Passlock 1 or 2, it can be done fairly easily. I did this to my 2002 Olds Alero with Passlock 2. Yours is apparently Passlock 2 also according to these photos that follow. You don't have to install a toggle switch, but I would suggest it in case you go to a dealership for service and they need the Passlock re-enabled. I'm sure they will try to tell you that you shouldn't do this. You can just print out this article to educate them on their own system. The BCM is already programmed to go into "fail-enable" mode when the key reference circuit (yellow passlock wire) is broken (cut) while the engine is running. That's the key ---- while the engine is running. The security/anti-theft light will come on and stay on until the circuit is repaired. Your Passlock is now disabled. Just don't repair the circuit (reconnect the wire) unless absolutely necessary. I have read where others just tape up both ends of the cut yellow wire and leave it that way. This probably works fine, but I like the idea of being able to repair the circuit by the flip of a switch. (Just in case.)

This is the MOTOR AGE article describing "fail-enable" mode:
http://www.motorage.com/motorage/dat...09/article.pdf
page 3, If the correct key is in the cylinder and that circuit
fails while the engine is running, this is considered a
malfunction, not a theft attempt. The “Security” light
may turn on to warn of a system malfunction, but even if
it doesn’t, a key recognition circuit failure with the proper
key in the lock will cause the TDM to enter what GM
calls a “fail-enable” mode. Essentially, the theft-deterrent
system goes offline and the engine will start and run
with any key that turns the lock.

Here are 2001 Malibu photos to help you get to the Yellow Passlock 2 wire to cut it while the engine is running. Read the directions below each photo. By the looks of these photos, you should probably go ahead and start your car with your key (no keyring or keys attached) so you won't have to figure out how to start it with the Switch in an unsecure position later in the process.

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...1&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...2&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...5&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...6&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...8&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...9&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...2&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...5&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...7&link=BULLDOG

That yellow wire is the one to clip while the car is running! Incidentally, Malibus, Grand AMs and Aleros are all having the same Passlock problems. Coincidentally, we all have the same part # for the Ignition Lock Cylinder. A Passlock sensor is built into this cylinder. If this sensor goes bad, you have to replace the entire Ignition Lock Cylinder. GM is making a killing and so are the dealerships. I'm not knocking the Certified Technicians, they are just doing what they are trained to do. How can anyone deny that this part is defective? If you are tired of having to wait to start the car that you worked so hard to buy with your own money, you should be able to disable the Passlock if you want to. This is just one way to do it. Here is the Ignition Lock Cylinder part # and I hope this disablement will really help some of you.
1999 - 2004 Alero
1997 - 2003 Malibu
1999 - 2004 Grand Am

The GM part number is 12458191.
luna0755 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu