Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #61
usamarshal
AF Regular

Re: DIY intake questions

Dude, I had the exact same problem with my Tahoe. I'm almost 99.9999999999999999% positive its not a head gasket...once you replace the lower intake gaskets you'll see why....the gaskets GM put on there are pieces of sh$t!!! My buddy started laughing when he saw them just hanging there corroded to hell. I got the fel pro gaskets I believe...these things are solid bro...has aluminium within the gasket itself...it was nice...these babies won't leak, I guarantee you that....but yeah...both my buddy and I thought it was a head gasket problem, but it wasn't...the work isn't hard, just a pain in the ass...just take your time with it and drink a few beers, no worries.
usamarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #62
builder4
AF Newbie

Thanks, you were right - intake manifold gasket. It's all done now. And I was wrong about there being no external leaks they got worse and more noticeable quickly.
builder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #63
AKBOB
AF Newbie

Two Questions.
1. Can the Dexcool be replaced by other anitfreez types. I've seen some comments online about replacing the Dexcool with the green antifreeze. One used a flush machine to suck out all the old. Any comments on this?
2. The gasket choices I've seen here are the FelPro PermaDryPlus or the Victor Reinz gaskets. I've come across another made by ROL. Anyone heard of ROL and do you have any suggestions on which to use? (I didn't understand the nature of this problem and replaced mine with the standard FelPro gaskets last year and they are leaking again -I'm not going to repeat that mistake)
AKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #64
blutahoe
AF Newbie

brake lights don't work,changed brake switch,checked fuses,also circuit board. What's next
blutahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #65
blutahoe
AF Newbie

stuck in 4 wheel drive....changed the switch inside the truck...checked fuse..is there a sensor somewhere on the truck
blutahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #66
awaj3
AF Newbie

No you do not just did this Friday and once you remove the bolts in front you can see there is a stud down underneath that you loosen the nut and the bracket will just lay over to the right out of your way. I did not know it but the nut was loose and mine push out of the way and then I saw it.
awaj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #67
djjones
AF Newbie

I have a 97 that has had the intake manifold gasket replaced and I am looking at a 2001 model with a different engine, 5.3 litre I believe. Does anyone know if this engine has the same problem with the gaskets?
djjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #68
jds1vette
AF Newbie

The 5.3 liter doesn't have the intake problem.
jds1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #69
greencat
AF Newbie

I'm getting ready to tackle my gasket problem. Do I need the gasket kit or just the lower gasket? I have read soem different answers. I think I can keep the lower and up together and taking the valve covers off is optional. So it sounds like I could get away with just the lower gasket. I have (knock on wood) 180,000 miles on my Tahoe and it starts and runs great except for the coolant problem. I know it would be nice to replace the value cover gaskets but if the worst thing that happens is that it lets a a little oil seep out I can live with that.

What do you guys think? Kit or just the lower gasket?
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #70
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

The problem is if it leaks you are going to purchase the gaskets again and do a lot of work again. I think you should at least take it apart before buying as it would be cheaper to buy a kit than to buy one and then find out you need the other one.
I always find it takes longer to get the parts than to do the job. Since you are doing the work make your own decision.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #71
jds1vette
AF Newbie

I would get the kit. I got my gasket from NAPA, they are Victor Reinz brand. I got a kit for about $70. The intake gaskets are great and have built in guide pins so you don't have to worry about slippage. What ever you do, don't mess with the power steering pulley. Check my other post for some tips. Mark all your wires and take your time.
jds1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #72
WHATDIDYOUBREAKNOW
AF Newbie

Hylomar

the only way to seal
WHATDIDYOUBREAKNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #73
gizzmomeow
AF Newbie

I need help with upper intake manifold on a 98 chevy silverado 5.7l r motor all bolts are removed but will not come off. what did i miss?
gizzmomeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #74
revelators2001
AF Newbie

hey, hope i'm not to late. I had the same problem and after inspecting my new gasket set, I saw one about the size of the electrical plug ( the big one ) in the middle. With some coaxing the plug will push down through the upper intake, just be careful not to break the plastic. Hope this helps you or someone in the near future.
revelators2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #75
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzmomeow
I need help with upper intake manifold on a 98 chevy silverado 5.7l r motor all bolts are removed but will not come off. what did i miss?
If you are certain you got all the bolts, try prying gently on a non-machined surface. A lot of the time they're stuck on there pretty good. The bottom flat part (against the block) is silicon sealant which sticks better than some glues.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe