Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
CDDewolf47
AF Newbie

Vibration that might be a ghost problem

I bought a 2001 CRV in April. The past month I have noticed a vibration when accel. I have replaced the plugs and wires, flushed fuel and transmission, got my tires balanced and rotated (many times), have gotten many front end checks, there are no OBD 2 codes comming up. I dont want to go to the dealer and nobody I have gone to can find anything leaking or out of normal, but when they drive it they can feel it. Two mechanics have suggested that it might be my exhaust vibrating or my torque converter. I am very frustated with this. I drive a lot everyday and now I hate driving it. Any advice would be very appreciated!!!!!!
CDDewolf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
doock87
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to doock87
smack some sense into me if i'm wrong, but...

could it be the harmonic balancer? i'm not sure if this is a stock part, but getting one/getting it fixed could help.
doock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
CDDewolf47
AF Newbie

One mechanic said that it might be that, but wouldn't shake without accelorating? I will have someone do that just incase it is. Thank you. Also is have an after market muffler on, it wasn't welding on very well. Could that be affecting it?
CDDewolf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
FiestyCX
AF Newbie

Re: Vibration that might be a ghost problem

Have your upper ball joints checked for play. That maybe your problem - I just had the same thing with my civic. Or it could be the front axles getting worn out or the wrong one(s) if just replaced. And hondas do not have harmonic balancers - just a crank pulley. The cranks are internally balanced. One other possibility is the ujoints in the main driveshaft going to the rear diff are going bad. This would be worst case scenario and the most expensive. Those driveshafts are @$1k!!! and Dealer only. Dont be afraid to go to the dealer - I work for one and it really a great place. The other two honda dealers in the area I woldnt go to tho.... I know it is hit or miss on dealers - believe me before i worked for a dealership I would have never gone to one either(and I would never go to a gm dealership for work either). Try to get some references for your local honda dealers from people that have been there.... see if you can find a decent one and try em out. Trust me honda parts work best for hondas and i'm not saying it cause I work for one - its cause I own one!

(jealous of the civic )
FiestyCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
pizzanj
AF Newbie

Vibration

I have a 2001 CRV with 38000 miles on it. It started having the same vibration when accelerating. I thought it was something loose in the exhaust virbrating against the frame but after checking that all out it wasn't that. I've been checking the service bulletins but can't find anything there either. I wonder how common this is?
pizzanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
gbillman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDDewolf47
I bought a 2001 CRV in April. The past month I have noticed a vibration when accel. I have replaced the plugs and wires, flushed fuel and transmission, got my tires balanced and rotated (many times), have gotten many front end checks, there are no OBD 2 codes comming up. I dont want to go to the dealer and nobody I have gone to can find anything leaking or out of normal, but when they drive it they can feel it. Two mechanics have suggested that it might be my exhaust vibrating or my torque converter. I am very frustated with this. I drive a lot everyday and now I hate driving it. Any advice would be very appreciated!!!!!!
Don't know if you've solved this or not, but here's my guess: one of the front axles is wearing out. I bought a 98 CR-V in Tampa late last year and had the same "acceleration only shimmy". The shimmy got so bad over the course of a day that I took it to the Honda dealer that had just pulled the right axle and "checked it out" (translation: pulled the axle, took it apart, put it back together, and reinstalled....NO rebuild!). They spent the better part of two days pulling axles off of other CR-Vs in the shop, and finally determined it was the LEFT axle that was wearing out. Pulled that axle, rebuilt it (like they should have done to begin with) and it's GREAT now! No shimmy/vibration at all.
gbillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

So many damn models. If the 01 is the older looking CR-V then they have a known shake when taking off from a start. The whole truck shakes. Hs to do with differances in the angle of the rear i think. Anyway its normal.
lorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
FiestyCX
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorunner
So many damn models. If the 01 is the older looking CR-V then they have a known shake when taking off from a start. The whole truck shakes. Hs to do with differances in the angle of the rear i think. Anyway its normal.

vibration is normal???

i dont think so, that means something is wrong somewhere

could also be the fluid in the rear end might need to be changed
(jealous of the civic )
FiestyCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

On 97-2000 Yes its normal.
lorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #10
thequietkid
AF Newbie

Cars do vibrate slightly, but overall the Crv is very smooth for me. The problem most likely lies in the front end. When you get an alignment check, ask for a printout and check the caster and the camber on the paper. Many shops will simply ignore it because they can't be adjusted without alignment kits and the numbers are close enough to them. They could overlook slight imperfections in the tires and wheels as well. Also, check the axles and the boots. They do wear out, especially the boots. Look for grease. Dirty, slimy grease on and around the front of the oil pan, bottom of the transmission, and surrounding areas.

Most important, however, DO NOT overlook the engine mounts and bushings. It really sucks to pay a ton of money for parts and service when a stupid little rubber piece is to blame. A worn engine mount will cause vibration, especially during acceleration when inertia causes the engine and suspension to move. If you go to a tech, you might want to hint to him to make sure he checks those parts out.

If all else fails you could look into the balancing of the axles and rotating parts. Brake rotors could throw it off for some strange reason, but stranger things have happened. An engine cleaning and an oil change in the differential (if you got one) can't do any harm either. Good for your car anyway and could even compression and help the engine to run a little smoother. Hope I gave you some help or some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDDewolf47
thequietkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
Anaudiophile
AF Regular

2001 CRV? Does it happen around 30 mph while cruising? Torque convertor wants to lock up but can't so it unlocks and tries again rapidly in succession.
Anaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V