Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 PM   #61
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane
Re: New Sub Recommendations

no it wont sound bad. XXX wins. If you want arguments as to why the DD are not SQ well at least not in a lot of opinions. I can find them, but I don't really want to post them
Old 09-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #62
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

1st off, 15's will not sound muddier unless they're simply poorly engineered or stuck in an improper box, which would make any sub sound like crap. Everyone always says "but the 15's cone weighs more so it's slower" or "but the 15 has to move more air, so the cone moves slower"....yeah, so what? If the cone moves slower that just means it doesn't move as far for a given transient, but it still turns around and reacts in the same amount of time. Transient response has virtually nothing to do with cone size or weight. You can double the weight of the cone on a driver and take response measurements and the transient reaction will be nearly identical between the 2, the only difference is the one with the extra weight has less output. This test has been done and these results have been measured and what I just said has been proven....just so you know.

I would go with the XXX, like I said DD's sound quality isn't exactly world renowned.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:41 PM   #63
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: New Sub Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
Digital Designs itsself isnt SPL oriented...they just give the customers what they want. The 3500 series is a tad bit less than the XXX series price wise...about the same SQ (depends on your ear really)....both companies are good SPL and SQ companies.....and as far as SQ...when you have herd as mand systems as i have yo ucan tell what woofers sound like what...but my deff of SQ may be diff from yours or anyone elses...

no offense, but you are also doing a 45hz tune for a "sound quality setup", which automatically voids any opinion you may have over what sound quality is and what actually sounds good.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:41 PM   #64
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

^^ how many systems have you installed for other people? how many years have you been working at a car audio shop... maybe alot more than me or none at all but i checked my record last paycheck...38 installs BY MY SELF and a total of 102 over all...and how many of thoes customers have comeback complaining about overly boomy bass...none...how many have comeback for better woofers or more upgrades...many.... Bashing DD as a purely SPL company or not a good SQ company is like giving audiobahn praise for having highquality SPL and SQ woofers... i know DD sounds good and so does RE... and RE SQ isnt exactly world renowned either... especially the XXX series which, next to the HF series, is the most used SPL woofer made by RE...just as is the 3500 besides the 9100 and 9500 series...
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #65
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Ever heard an audiobahn immortal box in a properly built box(not an audiobahn recommened one)?
Old 09-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #66
CBFryman
Banned

^^ive herd audiobahns in about every set up you can imagine...its cheap $***...end of story... they can sound okay in a proper setup but if you are going mainstream and are thinking audiobahn just save your pennies a tad more and waste them on JL... or be smart and get the good stuff....
Old 09-24-2004, 03:59 PM   #67
pac4eva5
AF Regular

Re: Re: New Sub Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
the 9500 sereis is in no way a SQ oriented woofer...thoes are the woofers DD uses in the teams that go to and win world SPL competitions under the monstor class. comparing a 9500 series to the XXX series is like comparing a JL w7 to a JL w3
u said it yourself. an xxx will rape the 9500 in sq. nuff said.
pac4eva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #68
CBFryman
Banned

ya and... a 3500 will rape an HF in sq... because i also mentioned the HF... using either a 9500 or HF in an SQ setup is assanine
Old 09-24-2004, 04:01 PM   #69
Haibane
AF Fanatic

JL definately will beat them out, but a audiobahn built in a proper ported enclosure works well. Bahns are just marketed really wrong. Btw, I can go get the list of SI people and also P4s people who will agree on DDs as non sq drivers. Also the entire SI board will agree that 45hz is not SQ. You can not use the fact that you have done tons of installs to back up you know sq. Your average person you install has porbably never heard another system in their own car, let alone a sq system. Also SPL is usualy what your average buyer wants
Old 09-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #70
Haibane
AF Fanatic

I will go ahead and add the only quote that matters from the well known Lyod AKA Big bassman
"I've owned / used every DD woofer sold.. and every size brahma, and XXX

DD's get loud, and handle large amounts of abuse...

but sound like *** as you increase the volume..

however, you'll find some who think they are the greatest sounding drivers ever... course you'll also find people who like to have sex with corpses..

I wouldn't touch any resonance woofer for any reason other than balls to the wall competition..

Loyd L."
Old 09-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #71
pac4eva5
AF Regular

an xxx has better sq AND spl than a 3500.
better and better.......hmmmm........is there really a decision here?
pac4eva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #72
CBFryman
Banned

not only does the XXX not have a flater responce (they are enarly the same) but the XXX isnt as sensitive as a 3500...it will get louder but the SQ should be the same if both are set up correctly...but the 3500 is less expensive and dB difference will only be 2-3dB difference...barely reconisable to the ear...
Old 09-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #73
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Ok, Shut up. Do you know who Bigbassman is? He has been in car audio longer than you have been alive. I think he knows what he is talking about.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #74
CBFryman
Banned

Wtf?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:33 PM   #75
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Well sorry I am just a little pissed you completely ignored my quote went and said you were right and then falsely state something isn't true. The 3500 is not a better sq driver then the XXX, read above. "I've owned / used every DD woofer sold.. and every size brahma, and XXX

DD's get loud, and handle large amounts of abuse...

but sound like *** as you increase the volume..

however, you'll find some who think they are the greatest sounding drivers ever... course you'll also find people who like to have sex with corpses..

I wouldn't touch any resonance woofer for any reason other than balls to the wall competition..

Loyd L."

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio