Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
good2us
AF Newbie

Re: Engine temperature

Our '01 runs a little above midway also. In fact, all of the engines in this family run around 190 to 210 degrees, and even warmer under prolonged load in hot weather with the AC running. This has been my experience with a '94 Sunbird (3.1L/5M), '94 Lumina (3.1l/4A), and our '07 Uplander. The only overheating I've experienced is with the Lumina (radiator cleaning) and the Sunbird (towing 3000 lbs).
I replaced the LIM gaskets on our '01 twice - the Fel-Pro "problem-solver set is what fixed it permanently (after the factory replacements failed again). When the gaskets failed, there was no overheating - just a "low coolant" light.
good2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
cmgarza
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo ss.. the temperature gauge reads just over the half-way mark most of the time while going slow or stoped at a red light for a short period. Once I take off, it goes back down under the half-way line. I dont have any leaks, and i had the thermostat removed just to see if it was that, but there is no difference right now. It does the same thing with or without the thermostat. Can anyone give me some kind of hope before i go to the shop and they give me a million "what ifs" and charge me way too much money. Its not over heating, no leaks, no smoke, or anything like that. But the gauge just started to do this like in the last month. And im kinda gettin worried it might be something that will cost a lot.. O, ya, i had the water pump replaced 2 weeks ago, just cause that was my first thought besides the thermostat.
Thanks to anyone who can give me an answer..
cmgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Like any engine, it is imperative, if you ever open the cooling system for any reason, that you remove all the air from the system....if you don't, you have air pockets than can cause higher temps or swings....

You didn't give the engine size.....

Also, have you checked for proper cooling fan operation?

Coolant level is ok? Radiator level should only be checked on a cold engine, first thing in the morning......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu