Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
brossow
AF Newbie

Re: Adding factory keyless entry to 2000 Malibu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
I know there were plug and play options, for GM cars, but they varied greatly, especially by model/year.....what you should have done was see what years they applied to before buying those components....any GM Parts Dept. would be able to tell you......
What I should have done was look to see if the pigtail was there or not, but at the price I paid there was little to lose by buying first and asking questions later. Don't think I'm going to lose money when I resell the stuff. The components I bought are correct for the year; it's just the wiring that's missing, which isn't something any GM Parts Dept. would have been able to tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Actually, some of those aftermarket systems are easy to install......especially, just for remote door locks.....just provide power and ground to the module, and then one or two wires come out of the module and can be attached to any power door lock switch, or at the BCM.......it is very simple.....
I'm sure they're easy to install with a few simple tools, a wiring diagram and plenty of spare time, but "simple" isn't the same as plug-n-play, which is the only option I have time to mess with. I appreciate all the suggestions, I really do, but I'm not sure how I could be any clearer that I'm simply not going to mess with anything requiring wiring. (It's not that I can't handle the tasks involved. It's that I just don't have the time. And even if I had the time, for the $100 difference between buying the parts myself or paying for a kit with installation, there's no way I'm going to crawl around on my back under the dash tracing wires and pulling panels.)

Thanks again for the help.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #17
gman01
AF Newbie

wish i would have seen this before now because there are some models that have keyless box under sound panel in the car usually pass side
gman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Should get the list of RPO codes for your car....usually a SPID label is on the spare tire cover or underside or rear trunk lid.....

You may find that the option is already in the car.....when cars exchange hands, sometimes the key fob gets lost, and all you are given are the keys.....if the car has Keyless Entry option on the SPID label, all you need is to buy the CORRECT remote and have it programmed.....and hopefully the system works....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote