Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
aromocki
AF Newbie

Anyone raced in NARRA?

Just wondering what experiences, if any that you have had while racing in NARRA. My Panoz is modified and i live in Canada but would like to run a few races in the USA especially in the winter. Its putting out 480 at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno and has just over 400 ft lbs of torque. Its a couple seconds slower than a 2010 Cup car on a 1:22 minute track.With a better driver it would likely be equal.... I intend on running it in GTR-1 and would like to know the caliber of the drivers so I dont get hit going down the straight away.

There are some brutal "pro" series in Canada and thats why I am asking.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Fast Viper Dan
AF Newbie

Re: Anyone raced in NARRA?

The first race I ever drove in was with Viper Days, now NARRA. That was in 2001.
Since then I have raced with them every year until 2009 when I sold my Panoz.
Now that they have opened the doors for more competitors I think there is a slightly higher chance of incident.
I can tell yo they do not allow bumping and grinding. You will be invited to leave. In other words, you will be expected to behave as a gentleman racer and you should be treated as one.
Now, as for your car. Assuming you have refreshed your car and have found a comfortable pace. You have a good chance to be competitive!
Your car has won in the viper racing league. Fastest car by a half a lap at the end. That was with a talented young man driving it. I know when I drove your car it was fast, loose, but fast.
I say, go for it! there weekend events are much more than just track time. The banquets are full of fun. Charity auctions, raffles, and just good fun.
I still attend west coast events as an instructor and to do some hot laps in my Viper.
Fast Viper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fast Viper Dan For This Useful Post:
aromocki (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
aromocki
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info Dan, I hope to do the car proud and bang out some good laptimes to boot. I will definitely try out some of the races, perhaps even later this year as I really like the car and would like a fun place to race it. Now I have to figure out how to transport it and all the related equipment down to Florida from Toronto~!

I have a 24 foot aluminum trailer from ATC, do tyou think that would be sufficient to haul all of my gear down there and back. I would likely have someone drive it down for me and then just fly down??
Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Fast Viper Dan
AF Newbie

That is a long trip.
Your trailer will be fine. I would suggest carry at least two spare tires for a long trip like that.
Hot tip, to be faster, paint your car! jk

Dan
Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
aromocki
AF Newbie

Its already all Baby Blue and I will be putting the finishing touches on the Ford GT40 Gulf paint scheme. I will post pics when I am done. The car was messed up as I tore the front right corner off it while going into the pits. Another racer spun and slingshotted across the track (and blend line) before hitting me. Cost me 15k but luckily we cobbled it back together and raced the next weekend.

It was a shame as she was going to win that race as well!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

I have 445 HP at the wheels on a mustang dyno with 440 ft.lbs. of torque so we are similar. NARRA has combined with PBOC a few times and I have run with them. I like the competition. Its nice to have some american muscle to play with instead of the German p-cars. I had nothing but good times with the NARRA guys.
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
suneelgrg
AF Newbie

HID headlights

HID Headlights are the cutting edge of lighting technology; their enhanced technology allows for significantly brighter lighting, while using less power. HID headlights are designed to be as white and crisp as natural light improving visibility and road safety. It is important to understand that buying a bulb with higher wattage will not create the same effect as HID lighting, as wires and fuses can only handle a certain amount of power. HID headlight kits are easy to install especially when HID Canada offers an online knowledge base and full customer support.

Some of the benefits of HID headlights are:
  • The increased visibility for drivers. Due to the natural light effect, drivers will be able to see further up the road, without the distortion created by halogen.
  • The lifespan of HID headlights is three times longer than regular headlights.
  • HID headlights have been proven to reduce energy consumption. Typically, results have shown they can reduce energy costs by up to 25 or 30%. Car owners realize how expensive it can be to replace a battery every year.
  • HID headlights simply look better; originally HID lights were installed on luxury vehicles, so people associate them with expensive luxury cars.

Buying an HID Headlights kit from HID Canada is easy. Our customers frequently rave about our service and our reasonable prices. Our kits come with three bulbs, in case one of them burns out. HID Canada also backs original products with a two year warranty, and one year warranty on separately purchased parts. If something does fail after the two years, we can issue the customer up to a 35% credit towards their next purchase, a deal like this definitely is unbeatable.

http://hidcanada.com/store/index.php...index&cPath=12 with anchor text "HID headlights
suneelgrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
aromocki
AF Newbie

OK really good to know. I will let you know when my first American race is and I hope to see some of you there.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
aromocki
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Viper Dan View Post

That is a long trip.
Your trailer will be fine. I would suggest carry at least two spare tires for a long trip like that.
Hot tip, to be faster, paint your car! jk

Dan
Dan, do you have any idea of what the maintenance costs are like on a Competition Coupe Viper?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Fast Viper Dan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromocki View Post
Dan, do you have any idea of what the maintenance costs are like on a Competition Coupe Viper?

Thanks,

Andrew
Comp Coupes are vary hardy cars. Much like the Panoz.
Parts are more expensive. Everything from Brake Pads Body parts.
The bulk of the Viper racing league have John Archer maintain there cars. If you have someone else doing all the prep and repair, 40-120K per year. Depends on transporting, number of races.
Do it your self and you can run a scca year for 20K.
Motor is 15k for stock spec motor. You can run a word challenge spec motor at 40K.
A friend of mine is running the same motor that came in his car in 2003.
The motor in your car was not cheep but a spec Panoz is $9500.
All relitive. If you have the chance to drive a CC, you will fall in Love with it. They are sooo much fun to drive.

If you are interested in buying one, let me know, I know of a couple for sale. 110k-135k.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to Fast Viper Dan For This Useful Post:
aromocki (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
aromocki
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Viper Dan View Post
Comp Coupes are vary hardy cars. Much like the Panoz.
Parts are more expensive. Everything from Brake Pads Body parts.
The bulk of the Viper racing league have John Archer maintain there cars. If you have someone else doing all the prep and repair, 40-120K per year. Depends on transporting, number of races.
Do it your self and you can run a scca year for 20K.
Motor is 15k for stock spec motor. You can run a word challenge spec motor at 40K.
A friend of mine is running the same motor that came in his car in 2003.
The motor in your car was not cheep but a spec Panoz is $9500.
All relitive. If you have the chance to drive a CC, you will fall in Love with it. They are sooo much fun to drive.

If you are interested in buying one, let me know, I know of a couple for sale. 110k-135k.

Dan
I spoke with John at Archer racing yesterday and its seems like a great deal as they can work on your cars and transport them to the various racing across the country. It seems that world challenge spec/competitive Competition Coupe will be very expensive to build and likely high maintenance as well as you have the dry sump and sequential to deal with as well as the other pro drivers. I think I will try and cut my teeth in the NARRA and see how well I do. I have no delusions of grandeur when it comes to racing as I am going to get trumped by a pro everywhere except maybe my home track.

I also think that my Panoz is faster than a Competiton Coupe at the moment and will test that theory in the USA. If I really like the NARRA I may buy a CC and just keep it in the USA and race my Panoz in Canada. I will have to see how things play out but having someone like Archer do all the maintenance and transport your vehicles as well is fantastic.

Thanks a lot for all of your help and is there any chance you will be at Daytona in October?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

That Daytona event Oct 21-23 is combined with PBOC. I will most likely be attending. I have never raced against another Panoz (except my brother). Are you definitely coming?
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
aromocki
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panozracing View Post
That Daytona event Oct 21-23 is combined with PBOC. I will most likely be attending. I have never raced against another Panoz (except my brother). Are you definitely coming?
I should be barring anything ucnertain. My last race of the season in Canada is October 1st or so. That way I have three weeks to get the car prepped for Daytona and haul it down as well. Assuming I didnt pop a motor that should be totally doable. My wife thinks its a great idea as well and we will likely just have a week vacation after the race. I may even leave the Panoz down in the USA with Archer so he can bring it to Sebring for January. I would like to run 2 or 3 races in the USA over my winter assuming all is well with the car. The only snag is I need to freshen the engine at the end of the season at some point?? I will speak to my mechanics about that and with luck will get it done quickly at the end of the season.