Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
clydesdale1956
AF Newbie

Fuel Pump Relay?

ok... ive usually found most my answers here but this one ... i didnt..

i have a 1997 CBR600F3... and it died on me yesterday.. kind of a yearly thing... it ususally comes right back in about a half hour and doesnt do it again...

yesterday it died, and didnt come back, after getting the thing back home and a few hours of WTF is wrong... came down to the fuel pump.. now i tested the voltage going to the fuel pump, and its only about 6V.. battery is putting out 14V or so.. i started cranking, and it wasnt sucking any gas from pump.... hooked up pump directally to the battery... worked like a champ... so im guessing its some sort of relay problem.

i then bypassed the fuel pump and went directally from tank through the fuel filter to the carbs... basically turning it into gravity feed.. runs fine now.. started right up.. but i dont like half assing stuff on my bike so... (i dont believe this would hurt as a temp fix)

here is what i found for a fuel pump relay....

================================================== =====================

at bike bandit.com i went to the oem parts search for my bike, under wire harness i found this:

4: RELAY, FUEL CUT
(SHINDENGEN),A,AC154489-001 $58.71

================================================== ==============================

curious if this is the right part, and if they make any aftermarket ones... prolly not but doesnt hurt to ask

now this is an electrical thing and i really dont want to buy it and NOT be able to return it if it doesnt work.

so any imput would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in ahead for your imput.
clydesdale1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: Fuel Pump Relay?

If the relay has an amp rating and a schematic on it, take it to an automotive parts store to see if they can match it up. Certain relays are used for many different applications in cars, so I'm sure bikes are the same. When I had my Honda Magna, I found the $3 oil filter for a Honda Accord actually fit better than the $10 motorcycle filter, so many times it's all about the mark-up.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
clydesdale1956
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Pump Relay?

on the relay it says... shindenger on the front... on back has

CF318
T6.D

thats it.... .... im going to a buddy's house that has a 91 F2.... going to test what voltages he has and/or swap relay's... just to see whats going on.... be able to rule that out or not.... need to call a dealership before i do that though... just to see what they have to say..

all i have to say is this gravity feed is crap... when i come close to my reserve... there is not enough gas to keep enough fuel to the carbs so it dies... and then when the bowl's fill up again... comes back....

anyway... any more input would be greatly apreciated.
clydesdale1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes