Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
OffRoadSonoma
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffRoadSonoma Send a message via Yahoo to OffRoadSonoma
Wink Subs in my BED

I have a '95 gmc sonoma, extended cab. Right now I have to 12 inch kenwoods in my back seat and they really bump, but now I'm looking to go bigger and better. So what I want to do is put the subs in the bed of my truck. I'm either looking to get 4 12's or 2 15's. So my question is, which is better, and what brands are good? Then I am going to build a custom box, and build it into my bed so you have to pull the speakers to get the box out, so it won't get stolen as easily. So what type of box should I build, sealed, ported, or bandpass? Then I was wondering if I could go with a snap tonneau cover or should I buy a hard fiberglass bed cap? Thanks for your guy's help.
OffRoadSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
dice daniels
AF Enthusiast

Re: Subs in my BED

you cant lock a vinyl tonneau so fiberglass would be more secure. I've heard 15's dont last quite as long as 10's and 12's because of the huge cone area, but I know alot of people who run them so I dont know how true that is. I guess its all about preferance and what you're willing to spend' I myself like tripple sub setups but thats my taste.

Remember that your cab moves independant of your bed. You may have to mount your bed on bushings if you are doing a bed cut through. If you do,look into a boot to go between your cab and bed. it would be less work.

Some of that was probably useless advice but what the hell.
dice daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Re: Subs in my BED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice daniels
I've heard 15's dont last quite as long as 10's and 12's because of the huge cone area
Stupid...

What's your budget, and what's the main goal of this setup?!?

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
OffRoadSonoma
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffRoadSonoma Send a message via Yahoo to OffRoadSonoma
I wasn't planning on doing a cut-through. I heard they were alot of work. I was just planning on putting some subs back there that were alot more powerful than what I have now. I have 2 kenwood 12's pushing about 700 each, with a sony xplode 760 amp. I'm just looking for something that will be louder inside and outside of my truck. So I really don't know if this will be louder inside because it won't be right behind my head like it is now. But I definetly want something you can hear me coming with. With everything included, bed cover, materials, and equipment I'm looking to spend about $2,000- $2,500. I know I'm spelling it wrong, but I heard Vonvenhagen was a really good brand. I don't know if it's true, or is there a better brand to go with?
OffRoadSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

vonvenhagen? what the hell is that? maybe youre meaning volfenhag, but those subs are shit so i didnt think thats what you meant.

look at digital designs(www.ddaudio.com) their woofers are crazy loud ive heard.. a couple 9515s would shake you up a bit, if you could afford good amps for them and a new alternator.

tons of good SPL subs out there though

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

This is just stupid! It won't work, and it's not smart! You NEED the subs INSIDE the truck...period. peace

NG
Old 03-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

you cna do a cut through but unless you know what you are doing plan on a leaky cab or your enclosure getting seriously ragged out....the bed will flex with the frame....and if you hit a big enough hole you will snap your enclosure right in half

and whoever told whoever that 15's dont last as long as 10's or 12's.... well dont listen to that persone because they need to be shot right now...
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
Abell255
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Abell255
i think it's gay when dumbass people say shit they dont know.....ruining these forums

-=ID MAX 12" d2=-

-=Elemental Designs Nine.1=-

-=Sealed in 1.5 cubes=-

-=CDT EF-61s=- ( coming soon )

-=Profile CA400=- ( coming soon )

Abell255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

abell i sure hope you arent refering to me....
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #10
Abell255
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Abell255

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
abell i sure hope you arent refering to me....

I am....

jk, duh....You can't spell to well, or maybe its that you dont give a fuck, eitherway, you know alot.

Anyhow,
if some of us hadnt said anything after dice said "15's dont last as long as 12's or 10's, the dude may have gone out and bought 8's because they have less cone area? Don't post if you don't know anything. FUCK. you guys should feel good, you save many people from buying shit, literally.

-=ID MAX 12" d2=-

-=Elemental Designs Nine.1=-

-=Sealed in 1.5 cubes=-

-=CDT EF-61s=- ( coming soon )

-=Profile CA400=- ( coming soon )

Abell255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

am i the only one who hasnt really noticed any big spelling problems in frymans posts?

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #12
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97
He watches it a lot more now that Noah's Arc pointed it out about a million times.

If you're going to put them in the bed of the truck, you MUST cut out a section of the back of the cab, otherwise the setup will be worthless. Just get one of those covers people use that lock down and build a box that will connect into the cab. I assume a rubber gasket/weatherstrip will be necessary with the cutout, so look into that. There must be more information on this somewhere on the net, so look around. It'd be cheaper to go for 2 15's than 4 12's. A lot cheaper. Less power and lower number of subs. You'd save a lot of money that you can put into doing the needed body work and get it done right. I have 1 15" XXX and it's loud as hell and sounds beautiful. 2 15's will be crazy. With the right setup you'll be over 150db's, which is really really loud for the average driver.

Check out the link in my profile. It lists brands that are rated in sections from Not Recommended to Highly Recommended. Brands such as Ascendant Audio, Adire, Resonant Engineering, Magnum, Incriminator, Digital Designs and a handful of others would be in your best interest. I know Ascendant, Adire and RE all have lines of 15's in an affordable price range and don't require and insane amount of power and also have higher lines at a cost. Ascendant has the Atlas and Avalanche - Adire has the Brahma and Tempest - RE has the SX and XXX. Shop around and see what you like. As far as amps go there are HiFonics, Cadence, U.S. Amps, Tru Tech and many others. HiFonics is a more budget amp that still performs really well. So check that out.

You may also want to look into a nice component set to accompany this loud setup you want to create. CDT, Adire, RE, and I think MB Quartz are all great companies too look into for this. I know Adire has the Koda 6.1 component set. Supposed to be absolutely awesome with SQ and midbass. I know I'm investing in these when the time comes.

Lastly, listen to what NG, SR20 and bumpin might suggest. Give us a budget to work with as well and the types of music you listen to.

*Note: I know that Adire and RE are both coming out with new lines in the next couple of months or so. If you're interested in those companies, I suggest waiting to see what comes about.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #13
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedd97
He watches it a lot more now that Noah's Arc pointed it out about a million times.
BTW, it's Ark* And who were you referring to?

NG
Old 03-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #14
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13
BTW, it's Ark* And who were you referring to?

NG
Crap, screw the bible. I was referring to you <3.

When all is said and done, Jean Claude Van Dame knows all.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:51 AM   #15
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadSonoma
I wasn't planning on doing a cut-through. I heard they were alot of work. I was just planning on putting some subs back there that were alot more powerful than what I have now. I have 2 kenwood 12's pushing about 700 each, with a sony xplode 760 amp. I'm just looking for something that will be louder inside and outside of my truck. So I really don't know if this will be louder inside because it won't be right behind my head like it is now. But I definetly want something you can hear me coming with. With everything included, bed cover, materials, and equipment I'm looking to spend about $2,000- $2,500. I know I'm spelling it wrong, but I heard Vonvenhagen was a really good brand. I don't know if it's true, or is there a better brand to go with?

Man, you have all kinds of ways of doing this. Since you have an extended cab, you could install 4 or 6 12" woofers as long as they do not require a lot of airspace. Try to look for something that requires something under 1 cu/ft per sub. The subs l like can go down to .5cu/ft in a sealed enclosure. Ported can be done too but there you will need more space.

I've done 6 12" woofers in a Tacoma and it all fit inside the ext. part. Man was that ever obnoxious! I've also put them in the bed like you are talking about. It was in a new regular cabbed S10. I put a snug cap on it with the rubber seal. I then removed the rear window and built a box Pacman style that held 8 10" woofers that was really too much but the guy loved it.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio