Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 10:33 PM   #16
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
Quote:
Originally posted by Dezoris

No I mean the adjustments on the Koni, KYB, Illumina, out of the box are not all that they are cracked up to be for an inthusiest.
Personally I think only having the abilty to adjust rebound, or both at the same time is rather useless. I would much rather have the shocks revalved. That is waht I am asking is your opinion, on that.

most enthusiasts wouldnt waste their money on a street setup... depending on their demands. if your car is a street car, an adjustable out of the box setup will handle just about anything you throw at it.

for full on road racing, the out of the box struts dont cut it. what i've done, and have prescribed for others i race with, is to send off a set of Koni Yellows to a rebuilder, and from there they can rebuild each strut for $100 each to have full bump, compression, and rebound adjustability.

or get some full racing setups for $1500 a piece...
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:59 PM   #17
unsure
AF Newbie

Thumbs up This is becoming very intriguing...

I really appreciate everyone tryna help a newbie like out. Anyways, drift has me thinking about getting the Eibach pro-kit/AGX combo. After reading all the posts, I realized adjustable damping rates on both compression rates would be a nice feature b/c i do drive on roads where the conditions change but i'm not sure if they're how necessary they are for me. I'm just concerned about reliability and durability of the AGX even though there is a life-time warranty on it. Also, is it true that the life of a shock would lessen if the compression for it can't be adjusted (i.e blisten)? I'm also thinking abt. a neuspeed sports-lower springs/AGX combo. I know this would reult in a (1.75 drop) vs. 1.3 for th eibachs. I know this is a subjective question, but is it worth it to go 0.4 inch lower and and is the decrease in ride quality really noticeable? I'd like to go low, but if its gonna hurt my car then i'd rather play safe now or be sorry later. Besids, drift, does any one else have reasons why i should or should't get the Neuspeed/Blisten combo, b/c they can b had at a nice price and i'm stilling looking at them. Again thanks, esp. drift and dezoris for the price hook-ups.
unsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:40 AM   #18
drift
AF Fanatic

the bilstein combo is a nice setup... just in my experience is that sometimes going a step up is better, especially when a person isnt too sure about what they truly are looking for in a suspension setup.

the prices for both combos are very nearly the same... but with user adjustability, you can fine tune your combination for a ride that's suitable for your uses, instead of buying something you MAY NOT like, and end up with the "shit, i shoulda bought something else" feeling. again, this is all considered based on prices... if the adjustable setup was too expensive, it obviously wouldnt be a factor.

as for life of the strut, harsh conditions will in fact decrease it's life. KYB has been manufacturing struts for years now in Japan and are a solid brand name. definitely not some fly by night company.

in addition to the life of the strut, realise that BOTH the KYB AGX and the Bilstein are factory length/travel struts. the piston designs are based on factory ride height. with a shorter spring, the struts will hit the bumpstops more often in comparison to a stock height setup... not only does it result in a harsher ride, but it decreases the life of the strut due to compressing more than it's designed for.

because of that, i recommended the adjustable to be able to alter the settings to prevent overexerting the strut. by properly adjusting the AGX strut, you can prevent it from hitting the bumpstops with a lowered spring... increasing the strut's life span. the Bilstein does not offer this adjustability for the model dezoris is suggesting.

both struts offer a lifetime warranty, but neither offer this warranty if the strut is used beyond it's tolerance, thus technically the use of a lowering spring will void it's warranty. the AGX says specifically that it's not designed to be combined with springs that lower more than 1.5" than stock. The Bilstein strut doesnt allow for any lowering whatsoever, according to it's warranty.

Bilstein's warranty can be seen here: http://www.bilstein.com/warranty.html

in this case, the lowering springs would void the warranty under statement #4: use on modified or other than Bilstein recommended vehicles. lowering springs would be considered a "modified" suspension setup.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:08 AM   #19
unsure
AF Newbie

So Drift, in essence, the Eibach Pro/AGX combo is a step up and an unbeatable deal b/c of the price it can be had at? Also, since the shocks can be adjustable, setting it at the appropriate compression will lengthen its life, correct? I've decided that a drop of 1.3 inches is fine for me b/c i don't want the additional hassles a drop of 0.4 inches may result in. I'm going w/ the Eibach/AGX combo b/c it has a lot of pros that Drift & others have pointed out. Another, question, there shouldn't be any problems w/the fact that i shall use my stock tires (205/55/15--pirelli 700Z) w/the Eibach/AGX setup right? Also, on the AGX website it says that these shocks can be adjusted w/o lifting the car or use special tools, i'm just wondering how true this is? B/c if its just like what the manufacturer said, it makes the deal even more enticing. Thanks to Drift and everyone else 4 responding.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:09 PM   #20
drift
AF Fanatic

to all of your questions, the answer is yes. as for tyres, you may need a camber kit to adjust camber properly for even tyre wear... but this is true for any lowered vehicle.

they are externally adjustable. the fronts will have a slotted tip on the tops. you just pop the hood and adjust them at the strut towers. as for the rear, some are top adjustable, while some have a knob at the bottom you adjust by reaching behind the wheel.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:12 PM   #21
drift
AF Fanatic

the price for your setup will be $530 at www.coximport.com this price is the total price... shipping from them is free.

the eibach pro-kits drop about 1.3", but they'll settle after a few weeks, and the drop may be a little closer to 1.5" after settling.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:09 PM   #22
Dezoris
Mod for life

Send a message via AIM to Dezoris
Quote:
Originally posted by drift
the price for your setup will be $530 at www.coximport.com this price is the total price... shipping from them is free.

the eibach pro-kits drop about 1.3", but they'll settle after a few weeks, and the drop may be a little closer to 1.5" after settling.
If AGX sounds right for you here is a link from my buddy Nexus who installed them on his 6th gen and he likes them alot, you also get a better view of the shock.

http://home.mpinet.net/t-hero/Struts!!.htm

Old 12-05-2001, 12:10 AM   #23
unsure
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

Dezoris and Drift, thanks a lot for your help. I'm going to go w/the Eibach/AGX combo and probably from coximports.com but i'm going 2 shop around anyways w/the speed shops around my way to see if they can do any better (they prob. won't be able to). The only question I have is: are their specific camber kits for each spring/shock setup, or is a camber kit applicable for any springs/shocks setup as long as the kit is for that car? As soon as I have my money saved I'll order the kit (prob a few weeks) but I won't put it in until winter is over just to play it safe. Again thanks, and btw Dezoris, that link u posted up for ur friend Nexus didn't work for some reason.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:20 AM   #24
drift
AF Fanatic

camber kits arent tailored for specific spring/shock setups... they're only matched by the car/chassis.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:43 AM   #25
Dezoris
Mod for life

Quote:
Originally posted by unsure
Dezoris and Drift, thanks a lot for your help. I'm going to go w/the Eibach/AGX combo and probably from coximports.com but i'm going 2 shop around anyways w/the speed shops around my way to see if they can do any better (they prob. won't be able to). The only question I have is: are their specific camber kits for each spring/shock setup, or is a camber kit applicable for any springs/shocks setup as long as the kit is for that car? As soon as I have my money saved I'll order the kit (prob a few weeks) but I won't put it in until winter is over just to play it safe. Again thanks, and btw Dezoris, that link u posted up for ur friend Nexus didn't work for some reason.
I fixed the link
Also,
You want a front upper a arm camber kit in the front and a rear kit, by
Ingalls
Progress suspension
progressive suspension
Eibach
all of those make great kits.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 04:43 PM   #26
unsure
AF Newbie

Thanks guys, I figured that camber kits were done according to the car nad not the suspension. Thanks Dezoris for fxing the site, b/c i might actually get a couple of my boys together and work on this and save $250...if i do, i'll buy u and drift lunch lol
Old 12-05-2001, 07:05 PM   #27
Dezoris
Mod for life

Quote:
Thanks guys, I figured that camber kits were done according to the car nad not the suspension. Thanks Dezoris for fxing the site, b/c i might actually get a couple of my boys together and work on this and save $250...if i do, i'll buy u and drift lunch lol
Anytime, good luck, post up when you have your stuff in,
BTW, what kind of rims do you have and the offset?

And how do you like your current tires, I noticed you asked that prior.
I just wanted to say on more thing, the most important thing you can do to your car is provide the best tires possible. It is like night and day.
You will know, after you drive it. If you feel like you are not gripping or you feel the tires side walls roll which might be an issue, you may want to go with a 205/50/15, either a bridgestone tire or a Yoko, they both have very stiff sidewalls and are a great all around tire, 80% of the models. Food for thought.
Also let me know about the rims, offset.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:08 PM   #28
unsure
AF Newbie

Sup Dezoris, thanks again for the help. Currently I'm using Pirelli P700-Z's which are 205/50/15 vs. the old Michelin XGT Z4(stock). I got these Pirelli's(a new set) in August so I'm not looking into new tires for now. I don't know the offset for my tires but I'll find out for you b/c its in my owner's manual(my car's in overnight for service). But the rims are the ones from the factory that came on the GSR and Special Edition models for 95. I'll talk 2 u soon.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:24 PM   #29
Dezoris
Mod for life

Quote:
Sup Dezoris, thanks again for the help. Currently I'm using Pirelli P700-Z's which are 205/50/15 vs. the old Michelin XGT Z4(stock). I got these Pirelli's(a new set) in August so I'm not looking into new tires for now. I don't know the offset for my tires but I'll find out for you b/c its in my owner's manual(my car's in overnight for service). But the rims are the ones from the factory that came on the GSR and Special Edition models for 95. I'll talk 2 u soon.
No no you are good, only the wheels have an offset if they are factory then you will not have any problems with your drop. You tires should be fine to, you'll know, just let me know how the mods are when you get them
Old 12-05-2001, 10:07 PM   #30
unsure
AF Newbie

Dezoris, thanx man for everything. I'll def. post up pics once I get the suspension put in. Unfortunately that may take some time b/c i'm going to put it in after winter or after the worst part of winter is over (long Island winters can be brutish). But nonetheless, I'll let you know and tell u abt any other mods I might do. Peace

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels