Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
RevRMD
AF Newbie

Service Traction - Shifting problem

Hello,
2007 Malibu Maxx 3.5. I took it to the car wash WITH BOTTOM BLAST. While sitting in the car wash (about 15 to 20 seconds after I went through the bottom blast), I felt like the engine started sort of an intermittent miss. I could see the RPM's drop when I felt the miss and quickly recover. It was noticeable! After doing this for about another 20 - 30 seconds, the "ding-ding-ding" chime sounded and "Service Traction" appeared on the radio display as well as the T/C light (traction control light indicating that the traction control is inoperable) on the dash came on.
When I exited the car wash, I noticed that the shift between 1st and 2nd was early and hard (not chirp the wheels kind of hard, but hard). I also noticed that the subsequent shifts didn't seem quite right. I drove a short distance and parked it, turned the car off and restarted - same problem, so I let the car sit.
About 7 hours later I restarted the car and everything was absolutely fine. Lights off, shift was normal.

I just replaced the RR hub/bearing assbly (about a week ago). Wondering, should I have used some dialectric compound? Is it possible that water from the bottom blast shorted the RR speed sensor? Any ideas?????

Thanks!!
RevRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Re: Service Traction - Shifting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRMD View Post
Hello,
2007 Malibu Maxx 3.5. I took it to the car wash WITH BOTTOM BLAST. While sitting in the car wash (about 15 to 20 seconds after I went through the bottom blast), I felt like the engine started sort of an intermittent miss. I could see the RPM's drop when I felt the miss and quickly recover. It was noticeable! After doing this for about another 20 - 30 seconds, the "ding-ding-ding" chime sounded and "Service Traction" appeared on the radio display as well as the T/C light (traction control light indicating that the traction control is inoperable) on the dash came on.
When I exited the car wash, I noticed that the shift between 1st and 2nd was early and hard (not chirp the wheels kind of hard, but hard). I also noticed that the subsequent shifts didn't seem quite right. I drove a short distance and parked it, turned the car off and restarted - same problem, so I let the car sit.
About 7 hours later I restarted the car and everything was absolutely fine. Lights off, shift was normal.

I just replaced the RR hub/bearing assbly (about a week ago). Wondering, should I have used some dialectric compound? Is it possible that water from the bottom blast shorted the RR speed sensor? Any ideas?????

Thanks!!
Have you done regular bottom blasts and this is the first time you have an issue? If so, then I would be suspicious about the work I just did. If not, then I honestly would not do anything further. If you start seeing issues during normal driving, then I would be concerned. If I took a pressure washer to my under hood area, for instance, I would not be surprised if I had some issues. But if the issues went away on their own, I would stop my worrying.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Obviously, the water affected an electrical connection......Dielectric grease is not necessary, per se, if you have the weather pack insulator in the connector...

Since the light came on, a code is set....even if the light is now out, the codes is there in history......a scan tool capable of reading "C" codes is necessary....Even though you just worked on the RR, ANY harness/sensor could be the culprit....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
RevRMD
AF Newbie

As I said, after sitting for several hours, the warning and lights were off and the car has driven fine...until today. I drove around town, no problems, and when I got home, I stopped to back into my driveway (no water involved this time), and when I came to a stop (before putting the car into reverse), the alarm sounded, the "Service Traction" light came on and the T/C lamp was illuminated on the dash again.

I am wondering if I should maybe suspect a faulty sensor in the new hub/bearing? I bought it online from Rock Auto. Is Rock Auto a decent place to buy parts from? If that isn't it - any suggestions? Need to figure this out.

Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
RevRMD
AF Newbie

After about 30 minutes sitting, everything is fine again. AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
slls
AF Regular

T/C on means you have a code, get code.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
RevRMD
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls View Post
T/C on means you have a code, get code.
Had it to a mechanic who found no codes. I spoke to a tech who told me that the "Service Traction" warning would only show a code while the warning is illuminated on the driver display. It hasn't done it but the 2 times, but I find myself holding my breath every time I drive it. Hate that feeling.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu