Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
manuel525
AF Newbie

Whats wrong with this amp? (pics)

Its a Kenwood KAC 8105D Amp that says RMSx1 at 4 OHMS Max W 1000 and it says 300 W on it too. I only had all this for 2 months and It was wired to two Kenwood KFC w3013ps 12 inch subs that pushes 400 RMS W peak level 1200 W. DO I NEED TO BUY A NEW AMP OR CAN THIS BE FIXED? THANKS
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg yt.jpeg (152.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg imtfage.jpeg (144.4 KB, 2 views)
manuel525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Whats wrong with this amp? (pics)

For some reason the thumbnails won't enlarge for me. But from what I can see, it appears that one of the MOSFETs or diode pairs blew. I'm guessing that it's FETs rather than output transistors since they are so close to the filter capacitors.

Yeah, it could be repaired, but it's likely that the FET blew due to some other issue, not just infant mortality. You'd want to have someone look at it that is familiar with switching power supplies and audio amplifiers and who also has an ESR meter and oscilloscope along with a high current bench power supply and dummy audio loads.

You'll also want to get an estimate to repair before having any work performed. It may be almost less expensive to just replace the amplifier.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio