Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
DIYnoob
AF Newbie

Angry Fried wires but no fuses blown???

Hello and thanks for reading.
a couple of days ago i zapped my deck. i self installed my subs and when i was going back to re-wire the amp more cleanly i accidentally let the remote wire touch the ground wire while power was flowing through them and it sparked. the remote wire is tied into my decks power source. I got my friend's deck(both kenwood) and plugged it into the wire harness for my deck and still nothing. The amp and subs are fine still they just have no source now.

the kicker: i looked at the fuses on the amp, deck and in car and cant find one blown. Then i re-did all the wire connections in the back of deck. The only thing left to do i can imagine is go get a tester light which is what i will do now to test the power wire.

granted i am very new to electronics and totally uneducated in the matter i have been doing research the past few days, couldnt fix the problem and finally decided to make an account and post.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
DIYnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Fried wires but no fuses blown???

that's strange, I can understand what you did might fry the auto turnon wire to your deck but it should have worked with your friends deck. Take a short wire and jumper the rem lead and + lead on the amp, it should turn on.

NOTE: do not leave the wire on for extended periods when the car is off, it will drain the battery.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
DIYnoob
AF Newbie

Re: Fried wires but no fuses blown???

ok so it turns out my eyes just suck. I re checked the fuse box under dash and the fuse for radio was blown. not sure how i missed this. replaced the fuse and radio was fine.

i did however fry my rem wire so i decided to install a switch with running new rem wire anyways.
now everything is even better than it was

thanks for that tip it helped me figure out the switch install by the way.
DIYnoob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
blown , deck , fried , kenwood , wires
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio