Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
knilive2
AF Newbie

98 Malibu won't stay crank

I have a 98 Malibu that I put a toggle switch on the ignition about a year ago and it work fine. I Post on here in 2008 about the same car. Before it was the fuel pump and I'm thinking it may be the same do to some of the same problem s but not sure. Not to long after replacing the fuel pump I begin to here the same whistling noise as the bad fuel pump. Now 4 years later It was still making the noise without smelling gas in the car. I got to work last week when it was cold and the car had a hard time cranking as if it wasnt getting gas. So I waited then turn the toggle switch then it crank. The next few days it was cold and it still was hard to crank. So I replace the fuel filter thinking it was that. Still cranks then cut off. I spray starter fluid in it in it runs long enough for the starter fluid to run out. I can hear the fuel pump come on then go off when turning the key. All it does is crank then turns off as if it's not getting gas. Please help with this problem before I spend unnecessary money. P.s I press the bulb beside the injector and there fuel coming out so there's pressure. Thank you
knilive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 98 Malibu won't stay crank

So ya got some fuel in the fuel rail but is it the correct pressure? Need to put a guage on it and see what the pressure is key on,engine off and does it hold pressure when key is turned off. Ya didnt say what engine but both the 2.4 and the 3.1 fuel press specs are the same,41-47 psi.

Last edited by DeltaP; 11-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
knilive2
AF Newbie

Sorry for the delay response. I have a 98 Malibu with a 3100 voted v6. Another thing I have notice is . The car will not come out of park. Still crank then immediately turns off. Not sure what to do next. Please help
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Any security light flashing?
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
knilive2
AF Newbie

No the light is not flashing. Is there something that control the fuel and gear together. Because the button does push in to move out of park
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

If the car cranks over, starts, and then immediately dies, it sure sounds like a SECURITY problem......eliminate the fuel pump by attaching a fuel pressure gage....

If the car starts and runs, and you can't shift out of Park, it's a BTSI problem....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
knilive2
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response on my problem with my 98 Malibu. I have no clue what a btsi is or how to fix . Can you please explain. I did have to replace the gear handle because it was broken. I still have no ideal why my car won't stay crank. Please help, I think tomorrow I will start taking spark plugs out to make sure there not bad. Thank you
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
ChevMali99
AF Regular

How long has it been since you changed the alternator? It could be it is not holding the charge and dies. Does your battery warning light ever come on? If it does, your car runs on it before it dies... meaning your alternator is might be faulty.
ChevMali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
knilive2
AF Newbie

I'm thinking it has been some time since I have change the alternator. I have notice that it's been dying down when I have been trying to crank it n the lights have been dim. I'll take it off tomorrow in get it check . If thats it I will be kicking myself in the butt. We sometimes tend to look at the big overall picture and forget about the abc's. Thank you I'll get back to let you know if that may be the case
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
AD2BU
AF Newbie

I once had an issue with my 98 Bu where the Idle Air Speed control went bad and it would only start if I gave it gas while cranking. Good luck with the repair.
AD2BU is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu