Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
kenman1717
AF Regular

trying to install aftermarket cd player in 2003 silverado with bose sound.

I bought a used pioneer cd player all wired to go into a 2003 GM. My boss took it out of his '03 sierra. It was wired with the aftermarket connector with the GM door chime module attached to it. Everything worked in his truck fine. He didn't have a sub or an amp hooked up, just plugged into the truck harness. I plugged it into my '03 Silverado, everything worked except I didn't have any audio sound out of the speakers. It light up and played a cd, door chime worked, all functions just no sound. I was given another cd player, this one is a JVC, it has the wiring diagram on it which was the same as already wired, so I thought I would try a different player, but as I was looking at my Haynes manual wiring diagram for the truck side connector the speaker wires weren't lined up the same in the connector, but also there were diagrams for both premium and base sound systems in this truck, my boss said his just had base sound, and mine has Bose sound, so would this be the premium sound? I've been trying to go to the audio store to see what listings they have for connectors for this year and sound system but of course they are closed for a few days. Any one have any experience with this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: trying to install aftermarket cd player in 2003 silverado with bose sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman1717 View Post
I bought a used pioneer cd player all wired to go into a 2003 GM. My boss took it out of his '03 sierra. It was wired with the aftermarket connector with the GM door chime module attached to it. Everything worked in his truck fine. He didn't have a sub or an amp hooked up, just plugged into the truck harness. I plugged it into my '03 Silverado, everything worked except I didn't have any audio sound out of the speakers. It light up and played a cd, door chime worked, all functions just no sound. I was given another cd player, this one is a JVC, it has the wiring diagram on it which was the same as already wired, so I thought I would try a different player, but as I was looking at my Haynes manual wiring diagram for the truck side connector the speaker wires weren't lined up the same in the connector, but also there were diagrams for both premium and base sound systems in this truck, my boss said his just had base sound, and mine has Bose sound, so would this be the premium sound? I've been trying to go to the audio store to see what listings they have for connectors for this year and sound system but of course they are closed for a few days. Any one have any experience with this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
with the bose system this I would suspect to be the problem. make sure when you ask questions that you have this info given. I would get a wiring interface connector for your vehicle . hopefully using the wrong connector adapter did not damaging anything.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
kenman1717
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
with the bose system this I would suspect to be the problem. make sure when you ask questions that you have this info given. I would get a wiring interface connector for your vehicle . hopefully using the wrong connector adapter did not damaging anything.
it doesn't seemed to have done any damage, I have put my factory cd/tape deck back in, it still works, well as much as it did before. i'm going to try to get another connector this week.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman1717 View Post
it doesn't seemed to have done any damage, I have put my factory cd/tape deck back in, it still works, well as much as it did before. i'm going to try to get another connector this week.
I would go here http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...or_wiring.html

input your vehicle with the radio options and you will see a connector that is for your vehicle. they will help you if you need more input should you call them ..
Old 09-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
ChrisRC84
AF Newbie

Ok here is the deal about aftermarket cd players and a 2003 Chevy Silverado with a Bose system. I had this same problem. There is no power running to your radio with the Bose system, it runs off the amp from the factory. You need to go somewhere like BestBuy or a car audio store and get a wiring harness. It costs about 120.00 and has a box that goes with it. I don't know why they did this but they did. I paid more for the wiring harness than I did for my aftermarket radio. The harness you will buy has two separate pieces and one plugs into both ends of box that comes with it. I think one is 16 wires and the other is 24. Been a while since I put mine in.
ChrisRC84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRC84 View Post
Ok here is the deal about aftermarket cd players and a 2003 Chevy Silverado with a Bose system. I had this same problem. There is no power running to your radio with the Bose system, it runs off the amp from the factory. You need to go somewhere like BestBuy or a car audio store and get a wiring harness. It costs about 120.00 and has a box that goes with it. I don't know why they did this but they did. I paid more for the wiring harness than I did for my aftermarket radio. The harness you will buy has two separate pieces and one plugs into both ends of box that comes with it. I think one is 16 wires and the other is 24. Been a while since I put mine in.
why have a CD player ? this is a waste of your money.

installing the latest MP3 players is a better sound upgrade. I guess if you only listen to just a few songs/music artists then this is all you need.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
kenman1717
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRC84 View Post
I went to the audio place to get the wire "correct" wire harness for this system, the one they special ordered in that was supposed to be right, they had asked I have my factory stereo out so they could look at the truck harness. the one they got me was exactly the same as what I had except it had a smaller harness with it as well. my truck only had one harness in the dash to the stereo, but there is another plug on the back of it for a smaller one. the guy said the one he got me wouldn't work do to the fact I didn't have the smaller harness in the dash to plug into.

He printed me off a wiring diagram for the bose system, and told me since everything else was working except for the sound, to just plug the harness in I have and instead of matching up the aftermarket speaker wires to the plug, following the truck side speaker wires through both plugs and hook them up that way, I don't care about the wire colors, but I would really rather have this all clean looking and hooked up right instead of hacked together.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

ummm, just hook up the blue or blue/white wire which is the power antenna lead to 12+ when ignition is on. You have to turn on the BOSE amp so it will play.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
kenman1717
AF Regular

So I'm still dealing with this problem. I ended up just leaving the factory radio/cd/tape deck in, although all that worked properly was the radio. I got a couple more after market cd players, a Sony and a Clarion, tried those and same problem, no audio sound but everything else worked.

I was sick and off work for almost 2 years so this project was shelved but when I ended up being cleared to go back to work, I had to wire up a couple stereos in other chevy trucks and they worked out and there was more work involved in those ones since someone hacked the wiring out of the dash and I had to make everything work properly. So that made me want to get mine finished.

I went to Best Buy in Edmonton, they were out of the harness and module that I needed so I went to Visions in Edmonton and talked to their stereo guys. I ended up getting a PAC OS-2X, it is some new updated one that covers all the GM vehicles, it can do all the options OnStar, Bose, Nav, steering controls and it does just plain models with no radio options. We determined I have the base radio/cd/tape, no amp under console, no second harness, but I do have Bose speakers and Badging on the doors. I wonder if it has something to do with this truck being special ordered with goofy options like a 4.8 and 4.56 gears in the rear. I bough the truck used in 2010, but to this day I'm still finding weird stuff that just doesn't go together.

I wired up this harness interface, it has like 4 harnesses that plug into the main box, on for the chime and warnings, one to the radio, one to the truck harness and one for the amp which I don`t have. I removed my factory deck, plug this thing in with my JVC stereo, same problem I've always had, everything works except the audio sound. Chime works, lights up, off and on with the key, cd, but no sound. Antenna is hooked up, tried the cd, wondering if it was the radio part. Volume was not cranked up either when I plugged it in, nothing blew or tripped.

I Put the factory deck back in, the radio still works. I`m really getting fed up with this. I spent $260 on the stupid harness interface, and i still don`t have sound. The pins in the connector on this for the speakers match up to the truck wiring, I did notice they are different than the original module i got a few years ago.

If anyone knows anything about this problem or what to do i would really appreciate it. If not I might try hooking the cd player up direct without the interface, I know I won`t have the chime or warnings but maybe it will work. If not I have to get a new GM radio. They are expensive, and since mine has a cd and tape deck, I checked with GM about one with just the cd, they said my truck would have to have some reprogramming.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
kenman1717
AF Regular

I started checking online, and I guess this is a really common problem that a lot of people have when doing this, and not all with Chevy trucks either. I found lots of people with Dodges that are having this problem, there solution was to hook up the amp turn on wire blue/white stripe to the amp turn on in the fuse box, so I got thinking about this and searched more, and then I found some on Impalas, same problem.

One guy said he had dealt with this a lot, he was using the same harness interface I got. He said they never mention it in the directions for the interface, but if you don't have a factory amp, you need to connect the blue/white stripe wire to the blue or blue/white wire in the factory harness, which is labeled amp turn on, but if you don't have the amp its another switched power, but apparently you need it.

Anyway I checked the truck harness, didn't have any blue or blue/white wires, so I looked at my Haynes manual diagram, nothing there, but I remember the guy at the stereo gave me a factory radio harness color code list for my truck, it lists the amp turn on wire as pink, for the hell of it I hooked the pink wire to the blue/white on the deck and everything works. Then I went back to the Haynes manual and found the pink wire, but all it says is g14 in/out don't know what that means. Adjusted my chime volume, have to figure out how to set the clock and presets on the cd player though.

One small issue I'm having though as soon as I turn the key on, a buzzing noise comes out of the speakers, but after a couple seconds it stops, the music starts. Any one have an idea how to fix that.

Last edited by kenman1717; 07-10-2016 at 09:37 PM. Reason: forgot something

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado