Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
xx-autopro-xx
AF Newbie

Questions

Hey guys I just needed a couple questions answered so here I go

what triggers the ignition module? , Why do you bypass the ballast resistor when the engine is first cranked over? , What protects the ignition points from arching and whats the thing thats supposta act as an electrical shock absorber and last when you look at a spark plug can you tell the engine condition or no?

It might be alot but just quick answers are fine.
xx-autopro-xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: Questions

What triggers the ignition module?

For older cars, it is usually the distributor. For newer cars it is the engine control module (ECM).

Why do you bypass the ballast resistor when the engine is first cranked over?

Probably because the engine alternator is not making enough current to augment the battery to help start the car when the starter is engaged. Bypassing the resistor allows full available power to the ignition coil. Once the engine is started, the alternator is producing more than enough current, making the resistor necessary to limit the current fed to recharge the battery at a safe level.

What protects the ignition points from [arcing]?

Don't know that answer, since I've never owned a car with a points-based ignition system. Breakerless distributors arc across the gap between the rotor and cap contacts (even though they don't actually touch).

whats the thing thats [supposed to] act as an electrical shock absorber?

In the distributor, I think you are referring to what's called the condenser (a small, barrel-shaped capacitor(?) connected to ground) to suppress arcing once the point contact is opened.

When you look at a spark plug can you tell the engine condition or no?

There are many sites that show photos of spark plugs in good and bad running conditions, such as this one. Basically:

-Tan or brown with no deposits = Good
-White ash deposits = Recent use of fuel additive
-Golden or white glazed deposits or melted electrodes = Lean running conditions (not enough fuel)
-Black soot deposits = Rich running conditions (too much fuel) or oil burning from worn piston rings/cylinders
-Oily deposits = Leaking valve stem seals
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.

Last edited by jdmccright; 08-03-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added info
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
6000wagonman
AF Newbie

Re: Questions

Ahem, I know I'm showing my age here, but the condensor is what acts as an elecrical shock absorber to keep the points from arcing! Without it, the points won't last long.
6000wagonman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical