Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
tiredNconfused
AF Newbie

Nissan trouble

My father owns a 1987 Nissan Sentra and it has been giving him trouble. I'm hoping maybe some of you can help me out with it. The car started acting up awhile ago. It would turn on fine, but as soon as my dad put it on drive the car would take off like a bat out of hell before he ever pushed the gas petal. He would have to then promptly push the brake so that it wouldn't crash into the side of the garage but then the car would shut off. He ended up adjusting something on the carburetor and now its a bit better but not by much. It still turns on properly but when he puts it into drive instead of taking off really fast like it used to it shakes for a bit and then turns off. OH, and when he does drive off and has to stop at a red light he has to put it in neutral or it shuts off.
tiredNconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Nissan trouble

Welcome to the forum!

Are you certain that his 1987 is carbureted and not fuel injected? Sounds like he has a vacuum leak or faulty Idle Air Control (IAC) servo. If the car really is carbureted though you can probably rule out the IAC. He might also have an ignition misfire contributing to the shaking and stalling.

Basically it sounds like his car is overdue for some routine maintenance and a tune up.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
tiredNconfused
AF Newbie

Re: Nissan trouble

Hello thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm sure the car is carbureted. My father is working on giving it a tune up right now. This car has given us some trouble. He has taken it to about eight different mechanics and none of them have been able to figure it out. My father refuses to give up on the car even though it might end up being more expensive to fix it than to get a new one.
tiredNconfused is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical