Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding
Metal Shaping and Welding Discuss metal shaping and welding techniques. Share your projects or tips and tricks.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Making a spoiler

I have a 96 Impala SS with a small bolt-on spoiler. I hate it. It looks like a bolt-on spoiler. I want to make a flush steel spoiler and weld it on and I need your thoughts. Here is what the trunk looks like (sorta) when the spoiler is off:

Here is sorta what the spoiler looks like when bolted on:

Here is what I want it to look like:

I have to admit my fabrication skills are great with lots of heavy mild steel; structural, frame work, suspension, etc... but body work eludes me.

I thought maybe I could use the original spoiler as kind of a mold/buck to shape some sheet steel around, but should I try to do it as one piece or as two together? Should I scrap that whole idea and try to build it from fiberglass and epoxy it on? Should I try to do some kind of composite construction like this? :

Maybe even three pieces of steel; one flat piece for the top, one flanged piece for the bottom, and a long piece of 1/2" steel tubing for the radius? It would all get welded onto the trunk, then probably backfilled with expanding foam for rigidity, and of course the ends of the spoiler would be capped off with steel triangles and the whole thing lightly filletted with lead or filler as necessary.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Any input appreciated. I want a seamless look, as if the spoiler were stamped right in the trunk sheet metal. here is a photo of the spoiler that is similar to the stock one on the trunk:

Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
SydwayZ
AF Newbie

Re: Making a spoiler

use 2 pieces of sheet metal, both curved running the length of the bootlid...the lower sheet curved upward and the upper piece curved down. weld the pieces on and use filler to perfect the shape. prime, prep and spray...voila!
SydwayZ is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding