Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
FriendshipUSA
AF Newbie

1996 Accord VTec with white smoke

I have a 1996 Accord V-tec. It sometimes develops white smoke when it first starts, then, it goes away after the car has run a short period. Sometimes after start up there is allot of white smoke. Other times it does not have any (yes, the coolant level was topped off). I do know the car was over heated (it is a used car). I replaced the head with a rebuilt one and this did not fix the problem. The car continues to have intermittent white smoke at startup.

So how is the coolant getting into the engine? The intermittent white smoke is puzzling.

Observations: When the original head was removed I noticed cylinder-1 had a difference in residue in head's underside. This suggested the coolant leak is into cly-1. I also changed the Oil and there was no water in the old oil. The car has allot of pickup and go power. I did not see any bubbles in the radiator fluid when the engine was running (at an idle).

Possibility?: Could it be crack in the intake manifold? There is a coolant feed line near the manifold's EGR valve. This area is near the cly-1 intake chamber. Perhaps a crack developed between the coolant area and the cly-1 intake chamber. Has anyone seen this type of problem? Any other ideas? If it is a wrapped head or engine block, then, I should I see the white smoke all the time? it is intermittent.

I plan to work on the car this weekend and will start with a compression test.

Any help in diagnosing the cause and fix is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by FriendshipUSA; 08-27-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typos
FriendshipUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!