Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
AF News Find out what's happening here at AutomotiveForums.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #136
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

I just noticed Igor, you have the Michael Jordan of NISMO R34 GTRs #23

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:04 PM   #137
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

What so many of you have failed to see is that we are talking about a relatively greenhorn driver (no offence Igor, i'm comparing you at a professional level) in an unknown car competing in one of the most demanding races in the US. It will be a great experience for him and the team, and will greatly help broaden his views on the racing world. I don't think he's ready to jump straight to that level, but with a year's worth of practice (which he will also need to achieve the required licensing) he will know what he's doing enough to SAFELY be in the field.

For those saying the car will make a HUGE difference and equalize the field... since it is the first to run in the US at that level, the SCCA will TEAR IT APART. There is no precident so they will be able to mandate whatever they want about the car. They might say it can run as it is, they might make him race it at a stripped down STOCK trim with their chosen tire size. The car won't make a huge difference, all the cars out there have their advantages and disadvantages, but they will all be prepared racecars, set up to the pinnacle of what the SCCA will allow for them. the fact that it is a skyline might put him at more of a disadvantage, but we won't know till he is able to register it.

i'm curious to see what will happen if he can get it into the SWC, i just think it's a bit too soon to speculate anything.

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
ac427cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #138
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Having spent this past week at Sebring and not having time to read the entire thread at this point as I am flying out to NY Auto Show here in an hour, I just want to say this.

This speculation on my performance sounds rather pointless. (note to C. - I didn't make either of these statements, nor do I agree with them, but just doing comparative math here - "top 15" and "top 50%" in a ~31 car field is about the same to me.)

As much experience as you, #98, and you, C., might have, I am also going to consider what the likes of Michael Krumm (JGTC), Divina Galica (F1), and Stu Hayner (you know him), had to say to me at Sebring. Not to mention Jorge Koechlin, Roland Linder, and Jim Hall....

I appreciate everything that anyone takes the time to input, as the more I know the better. So thank you all!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #139
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago

2004 VTS sheets showing the Nissan Skyline GT-R

http://www.world-challenge.com/competitors/04vts.html

For the people asking how SCCA could allow the Skyline GT-R in World Challenge.
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #140
tyndago
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Mak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
According to jbskyline.net, R34 GTR Skylines use 245/40 ZR18's off the showroom floor. SWC does make rules allotments for widened cars (very specific rules about how you can widen the fenders and by how much, though) and may allow use of the 305's, but it all depends on what the SCCA says you can run.
Tire size is dependent on weight of the vehicle. With that said.

The Volvo S60 runs 305 all around

The Audi's last year ran 305 all around

The 911 Turbo AWD runs 305 front and 335 rear.

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/competi...ppendixa-1.pdf

We know what the GT-R currently weighs. We have an expectation on our base weight.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #141
tyndago
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
There's a double regional at Buttonwillow this weekend...but I'm assuming he doesn't have his regional license yet. Are you even SCCA members yet?
Not a track that World Challenge competes on. With 363 days left, we dont have time for every track- every event. We do have time for the events on tracks that world challenge is running on. We may do some closed testing at Willow, Buttonwillow.

Igor has his regional license. We are SCCA members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
Which reminds me, you do know that Igor will need to complete a bunch of national level races to even qualify for the pro-license required for WC. And before he can get a national license to compete in national events he needs to get a novice-license and then compete 4 regional races.
We are aware of this ( Article 1 General regulation SCCA Pro Racing Series- 1.5.9.2). You can also have an FIA license(1.5.8). Or SCCA can give you a provisional license (1.5.9.7).

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
The best route would be to purchase a spec-miata to compete in for the rest of the season.
Like ways to skin a cat - everyone will give slightly different advice on how to get more practice. Most people we have spoken to however, have said karts are a good place to hone skills, and learn.

The New York auto show is this week.The next item on the Calendar - is Skip Barber at Laguna Seca, a World Challenge track. 5 days at Laguna is a good starting point.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #142
pimp1911
AF Newbie

I just read all 10 pages of this thread. Igor go for it. You got my support.
pimp1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #143
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor@af
This speculation on my performance sounds rather pointless. (note to C. - I didn't make either of these statements, nor do I agree with them, but just doing comparative math here - "top 15" and "top 50%" in a ~31 car field is about the same to me.)
Not quite. The speculation was top 15 in individual races or top 50% overall for the year if you run the entire season. Totally different statistics there. And the only thing pointless is assuming that someone with absolutely no experience will be able to kick butt over Championship winning drivers based partly on the fact that he's a cool guy.

Quote:
I am also going to consider what the likes of Michael Krumm (JGTC), Divina Galica (F1), and Stu Hayner (you know him), had to say to me at Sebring.
And they told you... what?

C.
Tiger Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #144
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndago
Not a track that World Challenge competes on. With 363 days left, we dont have time for every track- every event. We do have time for the events on tracks that world challenge is running on. We may do some closed testing at Willow, Buttonwillow.
SCCA or NASA races can be great ways to get in cheap testing time against competition. Of course it's good to get practice on tracks that you will actually run pro races on, but local tracks are a great resource for many reasons.

Quote:
You can also have an FIA license(1.5.8).
To get an FIA license, you have to have a license thru a sanctioning body like SCCA or Grand Am. Getting an FIA license is a bit harder than getting a standard, pro racing thru SCCA.

Quote:
Most people we have spoken to however, have said karts are a good place to hone skills, and learn.
Oh, absolutely, everyone I know says that karting is great practice for all kinds of racing. But has anyone told you that one year running karts is enough practice to be competitive in the most competitive road racing series in the US?

Quote:
The New York auto show is this week.
You going to be in New York? Come by the Ford booth and introduce yourself if you're there on the press or preview days. I'll be there with our '05 Mustang show car. We're using it to help promote our racing.

C.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:12 AM   #145
DJ RaYgU
AF Enthusiast

woot!!! congrats!! go GT-R!!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #146
AF Newbie

Quote:
I know it's not, but it's a quality track close to you with faster drivers than you for which you can get experience on. It also has national races for meeting requirements. It's not as if you can have you have a crew roaming the country going to different tracks each week...

Quote:
Like ways to skin a cat - everyone will give slightly different advice on how to get more practice. Most people we have spoken to however, have said karts are a good place to hone skills, and learn.
Well, they're wrong. With 12 months left you need saloon-car experience. I can't stress how different karts drive, how different the lines are, how different the passing is, etc. Is the Skyline even eligible for any of the national classes?

Anyway, I won't give anymore advice as it's obvious none will be taken nor is it wanted.

ps-give my regards to kenny herman and remember he likes to be referred to as screech.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #147
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
You going to be in New York? Come by the Ford booth and introduce yourself if you're there on the press or preview days. I'll be there with our '05 Mustang show car. We're using it to help promote our racing.

C.
I will be sure to stop by. I expect to see a halo over your head.

I am also going to consider what the likes of Michael Krumm (JGTC), Divina Galica (F1), and Stu Hayner (you know him), had to say to me at Sebring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
And they told you... what?
Too much to rehush - drastically contrasting information from what you've been posting here.
They were all very pleasant to be around as well.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 AM   #148
tyndago
AF Regular

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
I know it's not, but it's a quality track close to you with faster drivers than you for which you can get experience on. It also has national races for meeting requirements. It's not as if you can have you have a crew roaming the country going to different tracks each week...
I really dont know if the Skyline would be eligible in any kind of local racing. If there are rental rides available for events,and it will work in the schedule then we will do the best to get Igor there and in a car. We have looked into it already. If there are open track events at Willow or Buttonwillow and it fits, we will be there with the car testing.

As far as competing in the Skyline right now, we are probably not ready to go wheel to wheel. Couple more schools, couple more test days, then we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
Well, they're wrong. With 12 months left you need saloon-car experience. I can't stress how different karts drive, how different the lines are, how different the passing is, etc.
Stu Hayner is wrong ? Is there really a wrong and a right ? We talked to lots of people. We told them what we were doing, and we asked for advice on what they recommended. Its the reason we spent a week at Sebring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
Anyway, I won't give anymore advice as it's obvious none will be taken nor is it wanted.
We discuss each piece of advice. Just because we are not going to follow the path you recommend does not mean we are doing it wrong. Also it does not mean we are doing it right.

We would much rather make friends than enemies. Next year at Sebring you can say "I told you so". Any advice is welcomed, however we are getting a lot of it and just sorting it all out takes a little time.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #149
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor@af
I will be sure to stop by. I expect to see a halo over your head.
I'm not at all sure what that is supposed to mean. Should I be miffed or should I laugh at how far off you are?

Quote:
Too much to rehush - drastically contrasting information from what you've been posting here.
Stu told you that a year of racing karts and running a few racing schools was plenty of experience to be highly competitive in pro racing? Out of curiousity, what exactly do you think I've been posting here?

Quote:
They were all very pleasant to be around as well.
I could proabably count on one hand the number of pro racers that I've met that aren't great guys. The best are ones like Derek Bell, Brian Redman and Clay Regazzoni. Race winners and champions multiple times over who have nothing left to prove, but can still race circles around guys half their ages and enjoy doing it. Then there are guys like Phil McClure, Paul Brown and Randy Pobst. Really friendly, down to earth, decent people who will go out of their way to help you out any way they can off the track. And on the track? They will crush you like a bug. In the cleanest and nicest way possible, of course.

Quote:
I really dont know if the Skyline would be eligible in any kind of local racing.
Of course it is. You can always find open classes in regional racing. National? I don't know, but it seems surprising that you don't either.

Quote:
As far as competing in the Skyline right now, we are probably not ready to go wheel to wheel. Couple more schools, couple more test days, then we will see.
That seems logical.

Quote:
Stu Hayner is wrong ?
Dunno. You haven't told us what he said yet.

Quote:
We discuss each piece of advice.
A lot of people think that if you don't follow their advice that this means that you aren't listening at all. That's silly. Considering people's advice doesn't mean taking orders. Although, if you only follow the advice that goes with what you want to do anyway, then you could be doing yourself a disservice.

C.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #150
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
I really dont know if the Skyline would be eligible in any kind of local racing. If there are rental rides available for events,and it will work in the schedule then we will do the best to get Igor there and in a car. We have looked into it already. If there are open track events at Willow or Buttonwillow and it fits, we will be there with the car testing.

Stu Hayner is wrong ? Is there really a wrong and a right ? We talked to lots of people. We told them what we were doing, and we asked for advice on what they recommended. Its the reason we spent a week at Sebring.
There's always an open class at a regional. Usually they put you in an obscure class w/no one or a class where your car will be uncompetitive.

specmiatas cost about 1,000 to rent...many places rent them

Wrong.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News